Sat July 7th - Blue Marsh Lake Enduro- Mtbr.com
    Chilling out

Sat July 7th - Blue Marsh Lake Enduro

Chriffer and I are going to head down to Blue Marsh for our annual loop.

In the past we've done this earlier, and later, in the year - since it's going to be July I expect it's going to be a fairly warm day out there.

I will be packing a 100oz camelback filled with ice water, along with other provisions (like NUUN tablets).

Primary parking and meetup location will be the parking lot on Church Rd - see Google Info Map below.

The official half-way point is declared to be the State Rd access, if possible we'll want to have someone drop a vehicle with water/cooler there for people to replenish from.

Plan on post-ride swim and recovery time at the Church Rd location (e.g. cooler with chilled beverages), and unless someone comes up with a better option we can head over to the Blue Marsh Canteen for burgers n such before heading home.

I intend to drag Chriffer around for the Full Meal Deal - all 30 miles - but make no impositions on anyone else.

FIP (Feet In Pedals) is 8:30am at Church Rd for the 30m ride. With luck and not getting lost we'll be back to Church Rd in, say, 90 minutes.

Meet up for the remainder will again be at the Church Rd parking area, but at 10am.

I am planning on five hours time-on-trail for the 22 mile loop, with a group of 5 or more with reasonably minimal stopping. The main loop is NOT a technically challenging ride, it IS an endurance ride.

With a slower or larger group, more stopping, mechanical issues, or any combination of the above, the ride could easily take 7 hours end-2-end.

You've been warned.

The only real question to me is whether to go clock-wise or counter-clock-wise.

I'm leaning CCW since I haven't ridden it in that direction before, of course if we do that the likelihood of missing a turn is much higher.

Note: The last time I was down there one bridge was out, requiring a fording of the creek. Being the wuus that I am I doffed shoes and socks to keep them dry. I have no idea of that bridge has been replaced or not.

Google Info Map

22 Mile Loop on Garmin Connect

30 Mile Loop on Garmin Connect

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Excellent...

Will attend, hard pressed to find better fellas to ride miles of great trails with...

I would offer with your permission to do a slower pace group for those who have never ridden there or just wanna cruise, as to not hold up bear and chriffer, so if anyone wants to join me in the back your welcome to it!

It would be nice to see lots from our area hit this up!

Chilling out
    I was hoping to get more involved Lee, if we have enough then the hammer group can start later and catch-up to the rest somewhere on the lake loop.

The other thing we're missing is someone to drop cooler/water/snacks at State Rd. I don't think we should stop and have a picnic there but having some supplies and a bailout-vehicle may be prudent if we can put it together.

If there's enough interest then that could make an option for a 1/2 loop for those who don't feel up to the big one.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Smile

I agree with the big loop cause our riding group is capable of it...

...I'll spread the word

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Sounds interesting. Except for the 30 mile in 90 minutes ride, if I read that correct, .... that would make it a 20 MPH average pace, I'm too old to do that pace for that long.
    Last edited by XCoalMiner; 05-10-2012 at 11:56 AM. Reason: grammer

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I think the 90 minutes was for the ski sloop loop and counter clock wise is some what easier on the lower 23 mile loop

mtbr member
    holy crap! this looks awesome! is it really technical/rocky or is it nice and rolly with a few climbs?

Chilling out
    Quote Originally Posted by Markus_037 View Post
    holy crap! this looks awesome! is it really technical/rocky or is it nice and rolly with a few climbs?
    I can't speak to the 7m "prologue" section as I haven't ridden it yet, but the bulk of it is pretty buff.

I can't do 30 miles in 90 minutes either, unless it's 5% down the entire way.

mtbr member
    mini and i volunteer for the slow group and the half group . lol sounds fun .

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Markus_037 View Post
    I rode the North and East side of the lake last weekend and it's been majorly smoothed out since last I rode there. A beach cruiser would have had no trouble. The west side is where it gets to be more work, but nothing too crazy.

As for the ride, please count me in. I've done the loop twice and Love it!

mtbr member
    i would like to come too. but theres no way in hell im going to do 30 miles in 90 minutes. i rather just take my time lol

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Bear, when were done and you still have some energy left I can show you around Mt Penn or anyone that is interested in technical riding / xc .

Chilling out
    Quote Originally Posted by bankofdad View Post
    Bear, when were done and you still have some energy left I can show you around Mt Penn or anyone that is interested in technical riding / xc .
    hmm.

...fascinating....

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    count me in!!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Im in

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Wink

I think...

...I'll gear up to 34/19 for this!

if your not riding Single Speed...
    ...your just Shifty

wounded knee
    I'm throwing my hat in the ring on this one, sounds like a blast.
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

mtbr member
    i'm in. i did some of the trail two weeks ago, puked 20 minutes into the ride! haha. it's not very difficult, i'm just out of shape and i pushed way too hard on the long-ish up hill sections. it's only 30 minutes away from me so it's close enough to practice often. tomorrow starts my second week of riding to and from work every day, 8 miles round trip, in addition to riding the trails on the weekends so by july i *should* be in shape enough to do the full loop with no problem. i hope anyway! lol

Fossil
    I'm planning on joining. I've ridden with this group on this ride (well, OK, the 22/23 miler) and had a blast. Good mixed group. I totally support riding the loop CCW - somehow it's easier (hills less steep save for the rat-bastard ski area hill) plus you get to go DOWN Hell Hill - sweet!. Also, you can refill water at the Visitor Center which would be about 15 miles into the 23 or about 23 into the 31 when going CCW from Church Rd. Come to think of it... 23 miles into the 31 miler in July is a long way... maybe there should be water stashed somewhere...
    Mike (the other one)
    DB Dirt Club
    DBs on Dirt since 2010

mtbr member
    running water is always nice, i would think that by july the water should all be turned on. lol. i tried all the fountains i could find and nothing worked so i just filtered it out of the lake the last time i was there. it's not ice cold, but it's clean and tastes good.

Fossil
    A filter is not a bad thing to carry in case someone really needs some water quick. We usually just fill up on water right out of the sinks in the visitor center bathroom. It's a tad better than the lake water. ;-)
    DB Dirt Club
    DBs on Dirt since 2010

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    The visitor center has a water fountain inside all the way to the left and it is turned on as I used it this past weekend.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Count me in . I'll be somewhere between the slow group and the dead on the trail with the buzzards circling group.

Fossil
    LB!
    DB Dirt Club
    DBs on Dirt since 2010

Chilling out
    I'm so happy with the interest!

Y'all rock!

Sent from my brain using neurons fueled by caffeine

mtbr member

Water stash!

I have been out of sorts lately but really want to come again! I was hoping to do this in May or early June so let me see with my schedule!!

Was it two years ago we had 16 bikers-- only seven last spring?

I can cache 10 gallons of cold water at State Road.

Never went CCW, and loved the challenge of hill #6 (Mike Miller's Hell Hill).

Yo!

Quote Originally Posted by mtmiller View Post
    I'm planning on joining. I've ridden with this group on this ride (well, OK, the 22/23 miler) and had a blast. Good mixed group. I totally support riding the loop CCW - somehow it's easier (hills less steep save for the rat-bastard ski area hill) plus you get to go DOWN Hell Hill - sweet!. Also, you can refill water at the Visitor Center which would be about 15 miles into the 23 or about 23 into the 31 when going CCW from Church Rd. Come to think of it... 23 miles into the 31 miler in July is a long way... maybe there should be water stashed somewhere...
    Mike (the other one)
    Last edited by trekmike; 05-21-2012 at 12:33 PM. Reason: clarification

Chilling out
    Quote Originally Posted by trekmike View Post
    Never went CCW, and loved the challenge of hill #6 (Mike Miller's Hell Hill).
    I'm sure we could get the group to wait for you to turn around and attack the hill, no problemo.

What with all that shiny bling you have now i'm sure you'll just scoot right on up!

mtbr member
    Yep! The Jet-9 is simply amazing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I was planning on doing Newton's Revenge that weekend but I don't see getting in enough training time in with the way work id going. That should leave me free to hop in on this ride if there is room.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Depending on my schedule, I might be able to tag along
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster." - Greg LeMond

mtbr member
    I told a coworker and another friend about this so assuming all goes as planned there should be three people coming in my vehicle for this ride.

Chilling out
    holy crap.

16 people "confirmed" so far, and four maybes ( nHurD, XCoalMiner, bankofdad, Markus_037 ).

"we're gonna need a bigger boat"

ha ha ha!

mtbr member
    If we look up past postings for the this ride we can give heads up to those that have not seen this year's date!

Likely to break down into smaller groups

I best be getting out on my bike now...

Where is Stick & Clipless et al?
    Last edited by trekmike; 05-22-2012 at 01:37 PM. Reason: more

Rolling on 650b
    I'm going to try to make it as well. I'll check with the rest of my group.

Suburban Redneck
    I'm going to throw my hat in the "I intend to be there IF I can get some miles in/shed some weight by then" ring. I seriously need to get out of Wiss and explore. This seems like as good a starting point as any.

What is the terrain like, generally speaking?
    I'm not big-boned, I'm a Clyde.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    This ride is really gaining momentum! I'm hoping to make it and have told others about it. Will let you know for sure...
    Jim

Chilling out
    Boxman12, don't hold back. We have at least two people (Tuffgrrl & Mini) who are on planning on doing the half loop - so you won't be alone if you feel you don't want to do 23 miles!

Also, the terrain is more "natural" than what I know of the Wiss (I have ridden there thrice), but is similarly gentle in overall nature.

mtbr member
    boxman come on out and ride . weight is never an issue here . this is going to be a great ride . mini has all ready told me i going to kill him riding ! LOL . hate to say this but mini is not in the best shape to ride but it is in the will . we will be riding as far as he can . come out and join us !

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Bear,
    Forgot to mention I am in. This is my back yard. For those who are only going to do the half loop why don't they start at the state hill boat launch upper parking lot (no fee) and meet us at the bottom where all the boat trailers park (fee) that way they miss all of the harder climbs if we go counter clock wise and from there the trail has some what less taxing climbs over to the church road lot and we can pretty much stick together since the whole loop folks will be played out by the visitor center.

Suburban Redneck
    Bear, sounds good. Would you suggest a hardtail or full squish? I know at Wiss you can get away with either depending on your loop as some are certainly a bit more rocky than others while some sections flow fast and smooth.

Tuffgrrl, when I say "shed some weight", that is code for "I've only been out a few times and my conditioning sucks.The extra 30 pounds of 'winter weight' just compounds the issue and is easier to blame". But I can see how that would be misunderstood.

mtbr member
    glad to hear you are coming out to join the ride . see ya then

Chilling out
    bankofdad: What you say makes sense, let's make that a plan for the half-lap'rs - they park at State Rd upper-lot and ride the rest with the full group. We'll also have plenty of options for shuttling driver(s) back to State Rd to pick up stuff then too!

boxman12: If your full-squish is super-plush less-pedal-efficient my belief is that you'll have more fun on the hard-tail. First two times I rode BM it was a rigid bike and I was very happy. The last time I had a suspension fork on the bike and it only made a real difference going down-hill a couple places "with my hair on fire" - as it were.

full disclosure: if my new bike arrives in June like scheduled I will not be on the same hard-tail, but there's a lot of If's and When's hanging on that. I don't think my new ride will be better or more-appropriate for BM, just how could one *not* ride the new ride if it was on hand?!?!?!

Suburban Redneck
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    bankofdad: boxman12: If your full-squish is super-plush less-pedal-efficient my belief is that you'll have more fun on the hard-tail. First two times I rode BM it was a rigid bike and I was very happy. The last time I had a suspension fork on the bike and it only made a real difference going down-hill a couple places "with my hair on fire" - as it were.
    It's a 4" travel, air-sprung, single-pivot xc bike (Think SC Superlight, only WAAAAAY less expensive ) that's having better luck with it's diet than I am. Meh, still plenty of time to worry about which rig and why.

Chilling out
    Ride what makes you smile most boxxy, that's the real Rule.

Suburban Redneck
    Ride what makes you smile most boxxy, that's the real Rule.
    And arguably the most important.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Just throwing this out there. I joined a gym and have been working hard to get my physical on track. Problem is that I'm not sure how I rank. I'd love to go with the big boys and see how well I do, but also want to be social with everyone regardless of ability. So kinda hope we don't get two plus groups that will never see each other. Food for thought.

Chilling out
    I think that what i'm going to angle for, and I need to "noodle" on this a bit, is what someone else suggested earlier - that the group doing the half--loop be met by the the full-loop group at State Rd access, so we all finish the loop together.

I really think that represents the most Potential For Jocularity.

I'll be looking at the my prevous gps recordings on the map to see what the mileage is, but i'm guessing the half-loop to be around 11 miles or so. Considering the terrain this should be doable by a large quantity of people in only 2 hours or so (my rule of thumb is 4-6 mph on trail, but Blue Marsh is higher on average).

Likewise,

This is a Nobody Is Left Behind ride ...

... the only asterisk on that is that I plan to "hammer" the "extra" 7 miles - since I've never done it before and want to be back to Church Rd for the larger group start.

Likewise, the first half of the lake loop (going counter-clockwise) *is* going to be more hilly than the second half.

Later on in June I'm going to want to establish some Communications Methods with people who I know will be on different parts of the ride.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Wink

With all this interest I have a change of sorts...

...before it was lag back with the few that were going to be there, but now that there are lots and there will be 2 separate groups I'm in the longer one! Is that a group? LONGER?

PS: bear,
    it's 1:29 AM stop lurking, go to sleep! LMAO!
    Last edited by NEPMTBA; 05-30-2012 at 10:26 PM.

Suburban Redneck
    Quote Originally Posted by Enzoblue View Post
    Just throwing this out there. I joined a gym and have been working hard to get my physical on track. Problem is that I'm not sure how I rank. I'd love to go with the big boys and see how well I do, but also want to be social with everyone regardless of ability. So kinda hope we don't get two plus groups that will never see each other. Food for thought.
    I wouldn't sweat it too much, Enzo. I'm in the same boat. I just this week started going back to the gym plus trying to ramp up my riding. I really just want to participate in a more "casual" ride and get to know some folks.

mtbr member

Don't sweat it

We have done this ride for several years now in spring and fall, usually. Riding with this group is always a blast regardless of your fitness level. Just keep in mind it remains a long ride of about 23 miles with some good climbs. This year I am so out of shape I know I will be hiking some of those hills!

Quote Originally Posted by boxman12 View Post
    I wouldn't sweat it too much, Enzo. I'm in the same boat. I just this week started going back to the gym plus trying to ramp up my riding. I really just want to participate in a more "casual" ride and get to know some folks.

mtbr member
    I will be there. Should be a great ride .

Dinner for wolves
    I have been wanting to do this for the past 3 years. Which day in July?
    Responds to gravity

Chilling out
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak View Post
    I have been wanting to do this for the past 3 years. Which day in July?
    *cough*

Thread title says "Sat July 7th"

;^)

See you there.

Dinner for wolves
    Powers of observation are not among my super powers. Working on it.
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    hey guys I'm new to the forum and looking to meet some new ppl. I will def be there for the half loop at least. Is a ss good for this ride?, thats all I have right now

Chilling out
    Srttnr: you will be fine. Maybe spun out on some places and walking one or two but no biggie!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    you can count me in then!

cdouble
    Jul 2007
    DBDC/MO7S/DTownMTB groups should be good for 4-5 more riders, maybe more, really looking forward to it.

@BoxMan12 - full squish may be nice for last few miles, easier to "rest" when you can plant your butt in the saddle.

cdouble
    http://mo7s.blogspot.com

"Suffering has a luminous beauty, and cleanses the mind in much the same way a wildfire clears an overgrown forest."
    - Mike Ferrentino

"Art is suffering"
    - Squidward Tentacles
    cdouble

http://mo7s.blogspot.com

"It never gets easier, you just go faster"
    Greg LeMond

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by srttnr View Post
    you can count me in then!
    I'm on SS(single speed that is)...

...not Social Security!...LOL

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'll be riding a fully geared, fully suspended, single speed, rigid, 29'er wiith 26in wheels and tires

mtbr member
    this is looking like it is going to be a great ride !

Chilling out
    It gets any bigger we're going to need a parade permit.

mtbr member

Where is Mike Miller

Mike... where are you?

Fossil
    Quote Originally Posted by trekmike View Post
    Mike... where are you?
    Uhhh... posts 19, 21, 24... waiting for you!
    DB Dirt Club
    DBs on Dirt since 2010

Chilling out
    *poing*

Just over two weeks out.

I am going to try to put together some Helpful Details one evening this week (if I can stay awake long enough after cycling after work..).

wounded knee
    Have a 100 oz Hydro pack on order for this ride!
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by dirtrider6 View Post
    Have a 100 oz Hydro pack on order for this ride!
    DR6:

Are we still good with the hook up? Let me know what time to meet you at your house, I suppose or where ever.

wounded knee
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA View Post
    DR6:

Are we still good with the hook up? Let me know what time to meet you at your house, I suppose or where ever.
    Sure, my house is cool, what time do you think?
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Sure, my house is cool, what time do you think?
    I would say ask bear what his plans are or where we should meet him then I will go by that as to what time to be at your house!

OK?

wounded knee
    I would say ask bear what his plans are or where we should meet him then I will go by that as to what time to be at your house!

OK?
    This is what I got from his post.
    Bear, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Primary parking and meetup location will be the parking lot on Church Rd at 10am. (for us mortals)

Google maps said about a hour and thirty eight minutes, but I like room for error, so I think we should be on the road by 8am. or earlier.

Do these directions look good?

4. Keep right at the fork, follow signs for I-81 S/​Hazleton and merge onto I-81 S
    44.4 mi

5. Take exit 124A to merge onto PA-61 S/​S Lehigh Ave toward St Clair
    Continue to follow PA-61 S
    11.1 mi

6. Slight right onto PA-183 S/​Douglass Dr/​Pottsville St
    .7 mi

7. Turn left onto S Sillyman St (thats just to funny, I mean silly)
    0.3 mi

8. Continue straight onto PA-183 S/​Chestnut St
    Continue to follow PA-183 S
    20.4 mi

9. Turn right onto Old Church Rd
    Destination will be on the left
    0.2 mi

Church Rd
    Blue Marsh Lake
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

Chilling out
    dr6: you have the right of it ... i'll be posting/revising with more info but to reiterate ...

- big ride, 23 miles, 10am @ Church Rd Parking, plan on 5-6 hours on the trail
    - small ride, about 12 miles, Noon @ State Rd *upper* parking lot, plan on 2-3 hours on the trail
    - crazy ride (me, Chriffer, ?), 30 miles, 8:30am @ Church Rd Parking, plan on total 7-8 hours on the trail

Crazy ride will be back at Church Rd at 10am to meet up with the rest, re-fuel water and stuff, etc.

Rides will be counter-clockwise, so we'll be hitting the more up-n-down sections before noon.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

OK DR6:

Pick a time and I will be at your house 15 minutes early to load up.

wounded knee
    OK DR6:

Pick a time and I will be at your house 15 minutes early to load up.
    Say about 7:45?
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Ok...

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I am riding this hell or high water! This 2 week layoff is killing me so I should be well rested and ready to go by the 7th

Chilling out
    Ronnie, I'll feel insulted if the Anthem doesn't show, just so you know.

It's "way overkill" for the trail - but it'll be a fun day out - so you have two weeks to make sure you, the bike, and the bike fit are ready for a long day in the saddle.

Yes, I *will* be on the new ride ... how can I not?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I will have

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I will have it by then

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Rapid Ron is going too!

How many hours Ron?... LMAO

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I just found out that I have a family thing on that same day, so I'm out...
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster." - Greg LeMond

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Bear.....it is official

I will be riding the Anthem on the ride.....yes it may be overkill but #1 The Trek has been sold! #2 Nothing wrong with riding a sub 27lb full squish bike on a long ride (we weighed it at the shop) #3 I just have to take the new ride out! Bike is coming home Friday after work!!! So pumped!!!!

Chilling out
    Ronnie, I was in the shop today wasting time and picking up a tire and saw the guy basically buy your old bike, happy to see it moving on and to hear you're getting your ride!

If you think your bike is overkill, think about mine.

I know just what you mean about riding the new bike - aside from a couple rain-outs and one shop "recovery road ride" (ha, like that was recovery...) I've been on my new ride every day. Piled on a bit over 220 trail miles on the little lady!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Hope to be there, and possibly a handful more. Looking to meet and ride with new people!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    @Lee....as of 6:35am on 6/21/12 we are looking at approximately 388 or so hours LMAO!!!

Chilling out

Information Update - Timeline - Current Role Call

The 10am time for the main ride IS NOT THE MEET AT THE TRAILHEAD TIME - that is the FEET IN PEDALS TIME - with the size of the groups and time of year, we really need need to get started close to on time. Plan accordingly.

Google Map of important locations ==> over here

Estimated Timeline

6:30 AM - Bear & Chriffer (& ?) and anyone else going to do the extra-early-loop leave Kingston PA (from parking lot of Thomas Market at Walnut and Rt11). Note: If we're not meeting anyone else we may go directly from another location, so speak up ahead of time if we're caravaning/ride-sharing with someone else from the area.

7:30 AM - Remaining people doing full-loop (23 miler) from Wilkes-Barre/Scranton area should be leaving Wilkes-Barre vicinity to get to the trail-head (Church Rd parking).

9:00 AM - Remaining people doing half-loop (12-ish miles) from Wilkes-Barre/Scranton area should be leaving Wilkes-Barre vicinity to get to the trail-head (State Hill Rd, upper lot parking).

9:30 AM - People doing half-loop from Bloomsburg should be leaving to get to the State Hill Rd upper lot parking.

8:30 AM - Bear & Chriffer roll out of Church Rd Parking for 7 mile north-loop

9:45 AM - Bear & Chriffer return to Church Rd Parking (hopefully, barring getting lost or major mechanical)

10:00 AM - "feet in pedals" for the big loop big group - leaving Church Rd Parking hitting the trail counter-clock-wise

Noon-ish - big loop group arrives State Hill Rd, connects with half-loop group (Tuffgrrl, Mini, et. al.) at the upper lot, 15-20 minute break for water reloads, snacks, stretches, whatever

Noon-30-ish - huge group half-loop ride rolls out for remaining trail

3:00 PM-ish - mass return to Church Rd parking area, followed immediately by swimming in the lake to cool-off and relax. Cold beverages to be consumed.

3:30-ish (very ish) - driver shuttle leaves Church Rd to take required driver(s) to State Hill Rd to pick up car(s). Followed by immediate relocation to Blue Marsh Canteen (near corner of Palisades Dr and Bernville Rd (183) for post-ride food.

I strongly suggest everyone who is going to the Canteen to eat to bring CASH.

5:00 PM-ish - dispersal from the Canteen, y'all are now on your own.

Directions?

Does anyone need *directions* - I know that I owe some to Tuffgrrl so she need not chime in.

Google Map Link of locations => click this linky

I don't recall that mobile phone service is especially great down there, but text-messaging may work. Who knows. If someone wants to exchange phone numbers feel free to contact me in a PM.

WHAT WE NEED

Currently, TrekMike signed on for dropping 10 gallons of cool water at State Hill Rd "on his way" over to Church Rd - thanks Mike!

What we also need is someone to bring a cooler with ICE so that people (myself included) can make their water-carrying ice-water filled for the remainder of the ride from State Hill to the finish.

I'm thinking that 14# or so of ice should be enough, having a plastic cup or something to scoop it into camebak bladders will prevent freezing off someone's hands (and getting the ice all icky and stuff from trail dirt and sweat).

WHAT YOU NEED TO THINK ABOUT

- How can YOU bring plenty of water, and something extra with electrolytes, to drink, during the ride!

- What do YOU need to bring to eat to fuel yourself for a big day on the bike?

- I will be wearing a camelbak with 100oz of ice-water, *AND* taking at least one 24oz water-bottle full of electrolyte-mixed stuff to sip on. For longer-duration hot-days I make the water-bottle at about double strength and sip it with some water from the camelbak for balance. I also plan to carry some Clif bars and snacks to cover myself for six total hours on the trail (remember, I'm doing ~30 miles) plus maybe a little extra.

- I will also be packing NUUN tablets for myself, and to share, to help out during the ride. I have found that allowing them to dissolve in your mouth while lightly sipping water is a great way to charge up the body's chemistry if you are sweated out. People should feel free to bring whatever works for them (NUUN, Enduralytes, potassium caplets, table salt, whatever).

- Post-ride beverages! I plan on having at least one cooler with iced beverages for me and Chriffer. I don't know what he's bringing, but I'll have some hard cider. I may bring some beer for others but as I don't drink beer y'all really should think about that on your own. I think a Mountain Dew Throwback or two for NEPMTBA should also be there. Ha ha ha!

Cast of Characters

Here's the who'se-coming list that I have accrued so far...

30-miler crew

Bear and Chriffer
    Feanor76
    Enzoblue?

23-miler crew

NEPMTBA
    Buddy123
    RRHINES
    dirtrider6
    DC2.2GSR (+2)
    mtmiller (dropped)
    IAMLUNCHBOX
    cr500
    mxrider458
    bankofdad
    cdouble (+4 ?!?!?!)
    trekmike (dropped)
    srttnr (single-speeder, nutty!, promoted to crazy SSer - just like Lee!)
    Clipless in PA (+1)
    Koval79

12-mile crew

Tuffgrrl and Mini (bringing da' ice!)
    redheadrider

Interest People who haven't committed...

XCoalMiner
    Markus_037
    Beaverracing
    Buddhak

If everyone shows who has said they are, we're talking about 20 people rolling out from Church Rd at 10am. It will be VERY LIKELY that we should split that into 2 or 3 groups ... 20 people is just too many to keep it real I think.

I reiterate, because it is important - The 10am time for the main ride IS NOT THE MEET AT THE TRAILHEAD TIME - that is the FEET IN PEDALS TIME - with the size of the groups and time of year, we really need need to get started close to on time. Plan accordingly.

cheers!
    Last edited by bear; 07-06-2012 at 06:24 AM.

wounded knee
    Lee looks like we need to change the time your ariving at my house to 7:15, so we are on the road no later than 7:30
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Lee looks like we need to change the time your ariving at my house to 7:15, so we are on the road no later than 7:30
    Got it!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I"m in for the full loop...looks like its gonna be a great time.

mtbr member
    Bear Mini and I will bring the Ice !

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    OT at work here has kicked in heavy and I've been doing 12hr days for last two weeks - So count on me for the 23 miler crew. :P

Can't wait to see you guys. Only 2 weeks!

Rolling on 650b
    Things are looking good for me as of now!

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Here's an early...

...Happy Fourth of July to ya all.

Ron: How many hours now?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sat July 7th - Blue Marsh Lake Enduro-1happy4thofjuly-480x600.jpg  

Last edited by NEPMTBA; 06-27-2012 at 09:20 PM.

mtbr member
    i'ma really thinking of coming, i feel quite bad to have such a good time without my wife... im tryin to convince Truama05 as well *cough*

fish
    Feb 2011
    Wish I could ride that day...working. :-( I would live the challange. Rode part if trail from church road today. Hot but fun. enjoy yr ride everyone...plan a ride for a sunday...lol...no work...:-)

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Going to be super hot next Saturday!

Chilling out
    Quote Originally Posted by RRHINES View Post
    uh, well, it IS summer.

there COULD be a coincidence in the planned finish being at a legal swimming location.

just maybe.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Doesn't bother me...we did a 35 mile road ride in the hills of Sugarloaf and Drums today Bear...its all good...

Ride da mOOn Moderator

No good

Waa waa waa

It's JULY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post a pic of a hot chick........ no response!!!!!!!!

Wish everyone Happy 4th........... no response!

Comparing a road ride to a mt bike ride...........

Wanna be cool, ride a single speed...
    ...we could do 5 laps at Hunlocks

Chilling out
    Maybe she just wasn't patriotic enough Lee?

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Wink

Rapid...
    ...Ronnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

likes ROCKS!

I'm bored can ya tell?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ferko View Post
    i'ma really thinking of coming, i feel quite bad to have such a good time without my wife... im tryin to convince Truama05 as well *cough*
    If I wasnt working 12hrs Friday night (6pm to 6am) I'm sure I'd go...

Chilling out
    After I see Ronnie on his new Rocket Sled we may just have to make that his official name.

mtbr member
    what about shooting for the noon ride Trauma? I think u could do 3 hr out

mtbr member

High Temps

This is why we usually plan for spring & fall!!

Quote Originally Posted by RRHINES View Post

Chilling out
    Yeah, but you won't see as many bikinis in the water during the spring or fall.

( or as many bikers, mid ride, stopping to dunk themselves )

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Fossil
    DB Dirt Club
    DBs on Dirt since 2010

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Ha ha, copy cat!... LOL

Rolling on 650b
    That is a nice map. Koval79 and I are in, possibly with one more.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clipless in PA View Post
    That is a nice map. Koval79 and I are in, possibly with one more.
    Who's the mystery rider?

Rolling on 650b
    Bill is a likely at this point.

Chilling out
    Be good to see you both. ;^) And maybe more.

Oh, and Mtn Top Jeff was giving me some (deserved) gentle razzing about the multiple times I reinforce the 10am FEET IN PEDALS time .... so I'm doing it again.

Seriouisly, we're going to have enough issues with heat and time management with the horde that is descending that I want us to have a good chance of getting everyone around safely by a reasonable time in the afternoon.

I truly appreciate the response to this ride and want it to go off well enough and for everyone to have a ball.

Sweaty ball to be sure, but a ball.

Fossil
    95F forecast... little/no wind... honestly I'm considering alternatives to riding BM this Saturday. :-(
    DB Dirt Club
    DBs on Dirt since 2010

Chilling out
    Mike, I respect anyone's choice to come or not, however I would really appreciate anyone who has signed up to help with resources (e.g. you and TuffGrrl at this point) to let me know before midnight Thursday so that I have time to react. I'll either need to find someone else or get the resources over myself. ;^)

I'll briefly reiterate what I told someone else recently off-line about this, one of the reasons we're doing this CCW this year is that the bulk of the post-noon time will be spent on the easier side of the route, with more frequent availability to swim areas, so that if we want/need/desire to stop and dunk ourselves we have that option.

I think we end up with a few miles, under 6, from the last swim area back to Church Rd, by trail. So long as nobody is Having Problems I'm pretty sure that reasonably fit people can handle it.

BUT, please, EVERYONE must make their own decisions, know their own limits. There will be EMT's on-call and I really do NOT want to call 911!

Fossil
    ...I would really appreciate anyone who has signed up to help with resources (e.g. you and TuffGrrl at this point)...
    You might be confusing me with the other - and much less handsome I might add - Mike, aka TrekMike. Or did I offer up some support other than my usual sweeping and post-ride rehydration?

I think the rest of the semi-local crew (Downingtown area) may be taking a raincheck as well. That would include cdouble etc. and probably iamlunchbox too.

Bummed. Hoping for temps in 80s...
    DB Dirt Club
    DBs on Dirt since 2010

Fossil
    FWIW, your decision to ride counter-clockwise this year is the right call espcially in the heat.

You guys that have only ridden BM clockwise will like the change of pace and you'll be pleasantly surprised at how much easier it is. I mean it's no walk in the pickleweeds, but ascending Puke Summit (the top of Hell Hill near Mile Post 7) will be easier, and going down what we call "Impossible Hill" near Mile Post 25 is far easier than going up! You'll be going down the open, baguette-roasting fields near Old Dry Road farm. And you'll also be finishing up with an easier few miles versus going the other direction.

And you're right about easy access to dunk yourselves - probably should be encouraged as a matter of fact. Drinking water will be available with only 7-8 miles to go as well, compared to 12 miles if you're rolling clockwise, so running out shouldn't be an issue.
    DB Dirt Club
    DBs on Dirt since 2010

Chilling out
    I probably did confuse, no biggie though.

mtbr member
    I'm am still in but not exactly thrilled with high heat. I will certainly drop 10 gallons at State Hill Road.
    Anyone from Lower Bucks want to ride up with me?

mtbr member
    mini and i are still in with the ice . i cant wait to ride . even though i ll be in the back with mini . lol we rode today at the moon in the high heat around 12:00 . i had to test the paw out .

Chilling out
    So the paw is trail certified Tuffy? Glad to hear it (for you, not me)!

mtbr member
    Latest temperature forecast on weather.com is now 97 degrees...

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Wink

Good

I hope it...
    ...gets to 98, and the earth tilts off it axis!

Just imagine if it hits 99...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Bear, If anyone is having trouble health wise by Justa road I can get them back to Church road or show them a shorter route over to the State hill boat launch or they can bail anywhere and I can get them to a point where we can pick them up. I might stage my suv at Justa in case someone is affected by the heat and needs to stop there. Or park it at the visitor center. I will pack a cooler also with drinks and power bars. My rack holds 3 bikes. I will PM you my phone #

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by bankofdad View Post
    Bear, If anyone is having trouble health wise by Justa road I can get them back to Church road or show them a shorter route over to the State hill boat launch or they can bail anywhere and I can get them to a point where we can pick them up. I might stage my suv at Justa in case someone is affected by the heat and needs to stop there. Or park it at the visitor center. I will pack a cooler also with drinks and power bars. My rack holds 3 bikes. I will PM you my phone #
    Very nice of you!

Add this too in case ya missed it:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/general-discu...ze-714533.html
    Last edited by NEPMTBA; 07-03-2012 at 09:13 PM.

Chilling out
    BankOfDad: awesome step-up! Thanks.

I replied to your PM so now you have my info too.

Rolling on 650b
    So what you're saying, is that its time to break out the sleeveless jersey? It qualifies as a century if it hits 100 degrees, I looke
    d it up. (Or made it up, but it sounds right)

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    So is most the riding in the shade? Is it 20 miles of logs rocks and single track? Got nothing to do Saturday kids r gone may want to come out and torture myself

Rolling on 650b
    20 miles of mostly singletrack, but not technical. You could do it on a 'cross bike. Mix of sun and shade if I remember right.

mtbr member
    Can I do it on a 5" travel 29r?

;^)

Chilling out
    Quote Originally Posted by koval79 View Post
    Why not. I am.

Chilling out
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmsg View Post
    So is most the riding in the shade? Is it 20 miles of logs rocks and single track? Got nothing to do Saturday kids r gone may want to come out and torture myself
    We'll have a fair amount of tree cover for the bulk of the miles, but there WILL be some open cooking-brain-by-field riding too towards the end. Just enough to let you appreciate jumping into the lake when we get back to Church Rd.

;^)

Fossil
    Quote Originally Posted by koval79 View Post
    My 4" travel FS 29er is the heaviest bike I own... and the one that is the most comfortable at BM. I think the reason is it lets me sit a little more... thus a little more rest.

No worries about FS at BM. Yes you could do it with less, but doesn't mean you have to.
    DB Dirt Club
    DBs on Dirt since 2010

i moto too
    Dec 2008
    i think i'm going to go for the 1/2 loop with tuffgrrl & mini if there's enough room with whoever is shuttling them back for their car

Chilling out
    Quote Originally Posted by redheadrider View Post
    i think i'm going to go for the 1/2 loop with tuffgrrl & mini if there's enough room with whoever is shuttling them back for their car
    i'm sure there will be room.

Ride what you want to ride.

Rolling on 650b
    I can haul 4 bikes and only have 2 spots accounted for, so I'll have extra room for a backhaul.

Chilling out
    I can't wait.

Today marks the 1st day since the 24th that I haven't awoken feeling at least a little cruddy, I was out most of last week from work with the flu.

I've had two bike rides since the 24th. Two. I'm going to have so many pent up miles in me I'm not sure what to do with them ... so long as I can keep my energy level up (still a big question as my level of interest in food is NOT yet back to normal)!

mtbr member
    For several years in a row we got rained out on our spring & fall rides that would have made for an uncomfortable unpleasant bike ride. While I don't mind riding on hot days I do not think I will enjoy this one. Latest report for Bernville, PA is 101 degrees-- so now as predicted, the earth is tilting on its axis!

I have not ridden for several months folks and was expecting to struggle up those hills keeping up with Bear. Considering the circumstance I have to bail on this ride due to high heat forecast. Traveling the distance I am coming I do not want to do only a portion of the ride.

My apologies for dropping out when I agreed to provided a water cache at State Hill.

At some point it will not be a fun ride but rather, torturous and possible unhealthy.

Sorry folks. I was looking forward to meeting some of the newcomers that have shown interest in the past. I will look forward to this under more favorable conditions; and hope to get it going in September or October!!

Good luck folks. Be smart and safe in high heat.
    Last edited by trekmike; 07-05-2012 at 12:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    A little worried myself, but I'm still going. Did a road bike ride today, averaged 17mph and started cramping at 15 miles. Was 101 on my comp.

I think we'll be ok so long as we don't get too heroic.

P.s. I'm gonna bring bananas. (yes I'm serious).

mtbr member
    bear if you need mini and i to bring water let me know .

mtbr member

Tough ride without the heat

No need to be heroic. Them hills are long enough by themselves.

I do shorter rides in high heat-- not rides like Blue!

Please do be careful and smart. I want to meet all of you in September!!!

Bananas are great for potassium-- heat exhaustion or heat stroke is another thing altogether.

Health and safety!

Bear, if you still have my number feel free to call...

mke

Quote Originally Posted by Enzoblue View Post
    A little worried myself, but I'm still going. Did a road bike ride today, averaged 17mph and started cramping at 15 miles. Was 101 on my comp.

I think we'll be ok so long as we don't get too heroic.

P.s. I'm gonna bring bananas. (yes I'm serious).

mtbr member
    Hummmm Bern ville sounds so just right for Saturday

fish
    Feb 2011
    I'm disappointed that I cant join you guys at Blue Marsh saturday. I love riding that trail even in th heat. Of course the lake is only a jump away if necessary. Have fun and stay hydrated....:-)

Chilling out
    Quote Originally Posted by tuffgrrl View Post
    bear if you need mini and i to bring water let me know .
    If you don't mind that would be great.

I will be packing extra NUUN tabs (or similar) to help provide electrolyte rebalancing options for people.

water intake is required but only water / too much water can also be bad. ;^)

mtbr member
    If you don't mind that would be great.

I will be packing extra NUUN tabs (or similar) to help provide electrolyte rebalancing options for people.

water intake is required but only water / too much water can also be bad. ;^)
    not a problem at all . 10 gals and i think we will also bring some bottle if anyone needs an extra .

Chilling out

Final Info

Okay kiddos, here's the official NOAA weather forecast for tomorrow : HOT (see attached graphic)

overly helpful info post is ==> over here

The word of the day will be : Buddy System (okay, that's two words)

I thought about trying to adjust start times to avoid some of the heat, but have decided against it for two reasons: 1) No guaranteed way to notify all affected parties (you can NOT rely up people reading notices), 2) In order to avoid some of the heat we'd have to adjust it at least two hours back and that is not practical.

#2 stems from the fact that we have people coming from more than an hour away, two hours or more in some cases, and pushing times earlier really changes things. For example: I am not willing to get up at 3:30 am for the sake of timing.

According to the weather forecast, if the 10am rollout is on time and the group(s) don't incur too many difficulties then we'll all be at State Hill by noon-thirty, before the heat of the day sets in.

Tuffgrrl and Mini are bringing ice and water and (among others) joining in on the fun at that point. I will have extra electrolyte add-ins for people to use as desired, I will in fact be handing some out prior to the 10am launch for those who want to carry. I will be encouraging everyone to top off their camelbak with ice, and some water, before we leave State Hill.

I expect us to experience the heat of the day during our "home stretch" - after we leave the vicinity of the Dry Brooks Day Use Area on our way back to Church Rd (about 6 miles or so). The pace for this last stretch should be moderate, no race pace!

We are going to need to look out for each other. Watch out for the signs of heat injuries. If you're not familiar then go read up on them, here's a good starting point ==> heat injury info

Anyone who is coming out and who has NOT been riding in warm weather, has specifically been avoiding it, is someone to watch in particular.

I am also someone to keep an eye on, I had the flu last week and have only recovered this week - and have no long rides in (3.5 hours max) since getting sick. It's very reasonable that I will be more affected by heat that I think I will be. I however have specifically been going out and getting moderate afternoon rides in the heat, and I got a 3+ hour ride in on the 4th that went right into the hot zone. I am probably NOT riding significantly tonight in the interest of rest and hydration recovery.

If there is anyone who starts the 10am ride with less than 100oz of drinking water/stuff that is probably bad. I personally will have a 100oz camelback full of ice-water and 32oz of electrolyte juice to accompany. From experience I know that is good for 3-5 hours of use. I will have some water bottles to share at Church Rd in case people need to supplement.

Don't forget to apply sunscreen, doing so 30+ minutes before exercise is best!

Looking forward to a great day out tomorrow, some great stories, and a juicy burger afterwards!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sat July 7th - Blue Marsh Lake Enduro-bluemarshforecase0707.jpg  

mtbr member
    thanks bear for the tips ! mini , redheadrider and i will most likey be the slowest in the back so we can watch out for each other !

i moto too
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tuffgrrl View Post
    thanks bear for the tips ! mini , redheadrider and i will most likey be the slowest in the back so we can watch out for each other !
    three is better than two

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    It's mt biking!

It's summer!

It's hot!

We are riding around a freek'in lake full of water!

Not a desolate place!

Chilling out
    Sounds to me like Mini has a full afternoon ahead of him. *cough* *cough* ;^)

wounded knee
    sounds to me like mini has a full afternoon ahead of him. *cough* *cough* ;^)
    :d :d
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Dirtrider6 I'll be at your house at 7AM

wounded knee
    Joan and Ron should be here around 7:15
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

i moto too
    Dec 2008
    was really nice to meet a few more people and put faces to the names. Thanks everyone again for waiting and everything. Really glad I went.

mtbr member
    had a great time . a lil brain toasting at times .LOL it was great to meet everyone .

mtbr member
    joan i hope you are feeling better !

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thank you Bear! And thanks to TuffGirl and Mini, I've never been so hydrated in my life! I'm so glad I managed to get my chain sorted and didn't miss out on all the fun. It was great to meet all of you, It's gonna be awhile before I'm with so many characters in one place, haha. Had a great day.

Edit: Gotta give a shout out to Lebo's Pedal Parlor, 2200 Penn Avenue in West Lawn for my new chain. Old school bike shop with a guy who knows all. Place is an absolute mess and very fun to browse around.
    Last edited by Enzoblue; 07-07-2012 at 06:10 PM.

Chilling out
    i'm too tired for a full pics n stuff post but THANKS to everyone who came out.

We ended up with 17 total riders today,

- 3 for the 7 mile pre-ride (me, Chriffer, Feanor)
    - 14 out of Church Rd to State Hill Rd
    - we swapped three people in there ( Tuffgrrl, Mini, Redhead )
    - we had three people swapping out there ( Buddy123 was Heat Casualty In Recovery so needed to stop riding, RRHINES went with her since they had ride shared, and The Other Guy Whose Name Escapes Me - sorry - he had time limit )

Special props to the gang who brough Buddy123 in safely to State Hill

Big Thanks to Tuffgrrl & Mini and BankOfDad for staging cold water and drinks and stuff, super helpful!

For the three crazies, we had a total mileage of 32.99 with 4348 ft of climbing 7hrs 30mins elapsed time, 5 hrs 21 mins moving time.

For the 10am crew it's 25.19 with 3388 ft climbing ... for those who stayed on the singletrack the whole way.

No matter how you slice it that's epic!

I'll try to get some pics done in the morning.

Time to crash now!

What a brain cooker those corn fields can be!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    BIG THANKS - everyone took awesome care of me. I felt like a princess.
    Ted and gang. excellent job of planning. Proved to work out perfectly for the "emergency". Water and supplies and a vehicles just moments away.
    Jim - nice to meet you and a good tour guide. A few white lies about the "one more hill".
    Jim and Kevin - thanks for the "push" up the hill. I liked that.... A new spin on mtn biking.

Everyone else - thank you, thank you...... Great group of "biking friends".

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    buddy123, Your welcome and when you ride blue marsh enough there is a difference between hills and bumps in the trail HAHA . I thought one more hill sounded better than 4-6 climbs LOL

Suburban Redneck
    Glad to hear it was a good time, and that even with a few minor incidents everyone made it out ok. With the fact I was working until midnight Friday along with the forecast it was impossible for me to commit. Hopefully if there is another group ride in Sept/Oct I can make it. Sounds like a great group of people to ride with.

wounded knee
    HUGE props to Kim, Mini & Jim for having water and supplies stationed on the ride, without them the ride never would have finished, and I would have been done at the halfway point.

Group picture before the ride.

Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

Rolling on 650b
    Great riding with you all! I had a super time despite the heat, and want to send my thanks out to Mini, Tuff, and Bankofdad for the water stashes.

A couple so so cell phone shots:
    Sat July 7th - Blue Marsh Lake Enduro-group.jpg
    Sat July 7th - Blue Marsh Lake Enduro-unpacking.jpg
    Sat July 7th - Blue Marsh Lake Enduro-packed-van.jpg

Chilling out

i'm still pooped.

Thanks again for everyone who came and rode with me, closely or not so closely, I really apprecaited it.

Here's some moar silly pixels ... first off, the ride profile (drop the first 7 for everyone who started at 10am, the "1230" ride (that really started at 1400) begins just about mile 21.6 (bottom of the dip after the big hill Clipless and I did to go up and get Tuffgrrl, Mini, & Red). If the one showing here isn't clear enough then click it for a slightly larger copy.

If you want to see the track in Google Maps or Google Earth, here it is ==> Track Log Linky ... here's a linky that'll bring it up directly in Google Maps ==> click linky.

Three Idiots rolling to the big ride (yeah, phone cam, upside down, seems somehow appropriate)

Feanor's first flat of the day, professional Shop Guy Chriffer supervises the repair.

NEPMTBA just happy to have some shade and some wacky people to bike with

Professional Mule Chriffer preparing to bring support for the final 10 miles

All the Survivors chowin' down and waiting out the t-storms at the Blue Marsh Canteen (who actually made a half-decent margarita for me)

mtbr member

Nice Going!....

....Great story and pics...very interesting....good to hear all are ok given the heat....Thanks for taking the time to post it up....Ride On!
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

mtbr member
    Thanks to all who were involved - especially bear for organizing and mini and tuffgirl for mid-ride essentials. I think i drank about 350 oz of water, half of that provided at State Hill. Had a great time, except for the last 3-4 miles where I pretty much wanted to roll up into a ball on the side of the trail. Can't wait till next time!!! Hopefully it will be about 30 degrees cooler.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Many thanks to everyone who made this happen...

...I can't say thanks enough to all who did what they did to make this day a "HUGE" success!

A very difficult day in the heat was turned into a super once a year event!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sat July 7th - Blue Marsh Lake Enduro-blue-marsh-7-7-12-001_900x900.jpg  

Sat July 7th - Blue Marsh Lake Enduro-blue-marsh-7-7-12-005_900x900.jpg  

Sat July 7th - Blue Marsh Lake Enduro-blue-marsh-7-7-12-007_900x900.jpg  

Sat July 7th - Blue Marsh Lake Enduro-blue-marsh-7-7-12-008_900x900.jpg  

Sat July 7th - Blue Marsh Lake Enduro-blue-marsh-7-7-12-009_900x900.jpg  

Sat July 7th - Blue Marsh Lake Enduro-blue-marsh-7-7-12-010_900x900.jpg  

Sat July 7th - Blue Marsh Lake Enduro-blue-marsh-7-7-12-011_900x900.jpg  

Sat July 7th - Blue Marsh Lake Enduro-blue-marsh-7-7-12-012_900x900.jpg  

Sat July 7th - Blue Marsh Lake Enduro-blue-marsh-7-7-12-013_900x900.jpg  

Sat July 7th - Blue Marsh Lake Enduro-blue-marsh-7-7-12-014_900x900.jpg  

Last edited by NEPMTBA; 07-08-2012 at 08:17 PM.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Wink

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sat July 7th - Blue Marsh Lake Enduro-blue-marsh-7-7-12-015_900x900.jpg  

Sat July 7th - Blue Marsh Lake Enduro-blue-marsh-7-7-12-016_900x900.jpg  

Sat July 7th - Blue Marsh Lake Enduro-blue-marsh-7-7-12-017_900x900.jpg  

Sat July 7th - Blue Marsh Lake Enduro-blue-marsh-7-7-12-018_900x900.jpg  

Sat July 7th - Blue Marsh Lake Enduro-blue-marsh-7-7-12-019_900x900.jpg  

Sat July 7th - Blue Marsh Lake Enduro-blue-marsh-7-7-12-020_900x900.jpg  

Sat July 7th - Blue Marsh Lake Enduro-blue-marsh-7-7-12-021_900x900.jpg  

Sat July 7th - Blue Marsh Lake Enduro-blue-marsh-7-7-12-022_900x900.jpg  

Sat July 7th - Blue Marsh Lake Enduro-blue-marsh-7-7-12-023_900x900.jpg  

Sat July 7th - Blue Marsh Lake Enduro-blue-marsh-7-7-12-024_900x900.jpg  

Last edited by NEPMTBA; 07-10-2012 at 10:01 AM.

Chilling out
    Look at RRHINES blue PEDALS!!!!

wounded knee
    Look at RRHINES blue PEDALS!!!!
    He was setting the air pressure in them.
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

He was setting the air pressure in them.
    I thought those Blue Beauties had the "Pretty Pro Pedal" option!... LOL

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Those blue pedals are pretty darn sticky! Especially on a few of those downhill sections

mtbr member

Only once?

So glad everyone had a great time despite the warm day!! I hope to get one going in the fall like we usually do if anyone wants to go again.

This has been a twice a year event as long as NEPMTBA does not object.

Sorry to have missed meeting some of you, but there is more time!

Congratulations on completing a tough ride on a very hot day!

Nice pics too!

Ted, you apparently did a great job setting it up!

Many thanks to everyone who made this happen...

...I can't say thanks enough to all who did what they did to make this day a "HUGE" success!

A very difficult day in the heat was turned into a super once a year event!

Fossil
    Better not be only once a year!

Yes congrats to all for toughing it out, and kudos to Ted and others for putting a lot of effort into making a tough ride "bear"able (oof).

Some of us "next timers" hit Green Lane pretty early on Saturday. On trail by 8:00, off by 10:30... before it was much over 90. Was surprised at how technical some sections were, but the diversity of trail reminded me of BM at times.

'Til next time!

The other Mike
    DB Dirt Club
    DBs on Dirt since 2010

Chilling out
    Next time, I want to make it up the dang shale slope on the north loop ... like that's really likely!

Fossil
    Next time, I want to make it up the dang shale slope on the north loop ... like that's really likely!
    Wherezat? Near any mile marker in particular? Riding counterclockwise?
    DB Dirt Club
    DBs on Dirt since 2010

Chilling out
    Quote Originally Posted by mtmiller View Post
    Wherezat? Near any mile marker in particular? Riding counterclockwise?
    On the map you linked in that would be at about mile 18, going clockwise, up the trail adjacent to the ski slope off North Heidelberg.

There was no way I could make it up Sat, and I wasn't pushing it that hard to try since my ride strength was still a big question mark to me.

mtbr member
    i am so glad that mini and i where able to cool and water everyone down that did the whole loop . we know what we were able to ride . it was a great ride even though it was so hot ! it was so nice to meet all .

Fossil
    On the map you linked in that would be at about mile 18, going clockwise, up the trail adjacent to the ski slope off North Heidelberg.

There was no way I could make it up Sat, and I wasn't pushing it that hard to try since my ride strength was still a big question mark to me.
    Yeah a few minutes later I figgered you were probably talking about what we call the ski area loop. Well, now it's the old ski area. I've never cleaned the big hills there - it is the high point of the trail and I've never hit it fresh.

First time I ever rode BM, I rode the whole 30+ mile loop like a naive fool on a hot day from the Stilling Basin. Not enough food, not enough water... toast. Second time I did the 30+ I got massive cramps on yet another hot day (see a theme here) - only time I ever got cramps - right at Mile Marker 16 riding clockwise climbing up another infamous BM field of dreams. Third and final time I rode the ski area loop was in January of 2009 - rode just that loop since it was glazed in a nice coating of snow and ice (what a ride that was...).

So I'm looking fwd. to tackling that big hill again sometime...
    DB Dirt Club
    DBs on Dirt since 2010

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Wink

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sat July 7th - Blue Marsh Lake Enduro-blue-marsh-7-7-12-025_900x900.jpg  

Sat July 7th - Blue Marsh Lake Enduro-blue-marsh-7-7-12-026_900x900.jpg  

Sat July 7th - Blue Marsh Lake Enduro-blue-marsh-7-7-12-027_900x900.jpg  

Sat July 7th - Blue Marsh Lake Enduro-blue-marsh-7-7-12-028_900x900.jpg  

Sat July 7th - Blue Marsh Lake Enduro-blue-marsh-7-7-12-029_900x900.jpg  

Sat July 7th - Blue Marsh Lake Enduro-blue-marsh-7-7-12-030_900x900.jpg  

Sat July 7th - Blue Marsh Lake Enduro-blue-marsh-7-7-12-031_900x900.jpg  

Sat July 7th - Blue Marsh Lake Enduro-blue-marsh-7-7-12-032_900x900.jpg  

Sat July 7th - Blue Marsh Lake Enduro-blue-marsh-7-7-12-033_900x900.jpg  

Last edited by NEPMTBA; 07-10-2012 at 11:53 AM.

wounded knee
    Awesome pictures everyone!

Here's some video I put together from the ride.

Part 1
    <iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HjFJq1OEz7U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Part 2
    <iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kMzo_jiDBPU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Part 3
    <iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RhgKCCUFgEM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Dirtrider, I saw your vids on youtube before I ever found this forum. I was looking for info about McDade trail since it's about 10 minutes from my house when I came across them. Great stuff!

Are any of you guys in Pike County by chance?

Members who have read this thread: 0