S.W. Pa REPRESENT!!!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

S.W. Pa REPRESENT!!!

haha, whats up guys,

i check in everyday to the pa forums everyday and it seems like there is little-to-no people from the sw. so i just want to say introduce myself, "hello, im rich, i ride a SS chameleon, my favorite trails are south park and frick (in the immediate area)"

(everyone else n the AA type meeting)

"heeeeeeeeeeello rich, nice to meet you"

feel free to introduce yourself my brotheren!

Nice no rass

SW PA here too

Westmoreland county here. I ride 7 Springs and Laurel Mtn the most, Boyce Park a few times.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I'm Steve I used to ride Frick alot when I lived close by. Normally I ride either Frick or Bavington, and soon probably South Park.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I'm in Indiana county about a mile from the Westmoreland county border.

mtbr member
    Pennsylvania has a Southwest!?

I am that guy...
    Mt Washington here....

i just got back into mountain biking.
    I'm looking for some riding buddies that are willing to wait for me on the trail.

mtbr member
    Hi, Frick few times a week.

Nice no rass
    Quote Originally Posted by MonolithicX
    Pennsylvania has a Southwest!?
    Yep, directly to the West of the South East side

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mistaare
    haha, whats up guys,

i check in everyday to the pa forums everyday and it seems like there is little-to-no people from the sw. so i just want to say introduce myself, "hello, im rich, i ride a SS chameleon, my favorite trails are south park and frick (in the immediate area)"

(everyone else n the AA type meeting)

"heeeeeeeeeeello rich, nice to meet you"

feel free to introduce yourself my brotheren!
    My name is Aaron, and I am a mountain biker. Live in West Mifflin - Ride a SC Blur - Ride South Park, Frick, locally around WM HS, Hartwood, Boyce, Laurel, Bavington, and anything else that I can. Ride with my neighbor who has an Epic and a few other guys. Rode the 24 at Seven Springs last year, but had a little girl this past July and wasn't able to ride this year.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    haha, i could laugh at you all cause i'm NOT from SW PA.

but i won't.

ride laurel mt more, hook up with Too Rass Goat and get in the fun before it's too cold.

i'm big hit don and i don't ride. i just tell people i do.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Uniontown here, I'm switching from DH and 4X to XC this year. I should be picking up my 2006 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR in a couple of weeks. I'll be riding at the Wisp, Big Bear Lake, Coopers rocks, Ohiopyle, and Seven Springs.
    Jody

mtbr member
    Greensburg here. Like to ride Laurel Mtn. and Boyce, but have been mostly ridinig on the street lately.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    ride Laurel Mt. ride it tomorrow morning. if you do i'll see you there. i'll be holding court.

since 4/10/2009
    I'm Nate and I'm in the North Hills. Haven't ridden much this year because I'm a wussy flatlander and can't handle the hills. I ride at North Park when I do ride, though. Hartwood's not far from me, but I haven't been there yet.

Nice no rass
    Quote Originally Posted by bighitdon
    ride Laurel Mt. ride it tomorrow morning. if you do i'll see you there. i'll be holding court.
    How was the PORC ride at Laurel? I probably should have gone up and checked it out...went to 7 Springs instead.

Do you have to be a member to join the rides or what?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Too Rass Goat
    How was the PORC ride at Laurel? I probably should have gone up and checked it out...went to 7 Springs instead.

Do you have to be a member to join the rides or what?

Nope. Not as far as I know. I use to be a member a few yrs back untill I moved out of the area. I just recently got put on their e-mail list so if I'm in the area I can hook up w/ them. All I did was ask.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Too Rass Goat,

the ride was pretty good. i been on better, and definitely warmer, but i had a LOT of fun, even if i did get shown up by a girl.

hopefully i'll have more coming later, but i'm busy as only a lazy man can be right now.

Nice no rass
    BHD,

So the group parked down at the intesection of Summit Rd and Edie Rd.?

I've never ridden that end of Laurel yet, looks like I need to next weekend. From the pics on PORC's site...was that Beam Rocks and Wolf Rocks area you rode? Can you tell me what trails you were on?

We've been doing Mainline to Loop Trail through Lippos Loop both ways then down Towhee to Summit Rd, cross the road to Summit Trail and back up. Tried to take Summit down to Spruce Run last weekend but the wife bailed on the rocks in the middle of Spruce Run and hurt her knee enough that we came back rather push onward. We're heading that way for sure next weekend.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Too Rass Goat,

the best i can do for you is point you to the summary link on our website here in SC

http://www.nittanymba.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=587

that should get you all the info you need. there's a link to a map with suggested rides if i recall. i can't help much on the trail names, i think we did a lot of what you mentioned, and i am pretty sure we parked down by edie road. as tawney said it's by the shithouses.

i hope you and your wife have a good one, i had a blast. i love that place but i gotta go back in summer.

if you need more info, try contacting PORC or LHORBA i know people there know those trails well, and i don't even though i helped build some of it.

Nice no rass
    I've got all the maps, know the trail names, etc. I just gotta get down to that end of the park and ride til I find those playground areas in the pictures.

Hmm...maybe I'll head out there today <EG>

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    RJ....

Live in South Park, ride from the house. We have a group that usually rides on Tuesday nights out here. Try to ride everywhere, whenever I can. Hartwood, Moraine, Laurel, and rode Apollo a few weeks back, what a kick ass system those guys are building.
    .....but good luck with that.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Too Rass Goat,

you get out there and find that stuff today?

it's a boat load of fun, i can't wait to get back down there with some nice warm, dry weather

Nice no rass
    I did get out for a quick ride. Found a few new things and trails, but still need to go out towards Wolf Rocks, I'm assuming that's where it's all at. I've covered the other 3/4 of the park now, no sightings

Accuguess is calling for a 3-4 hour window with no rain Sunday. I'll try to get out, but it gets real slippery in there with all the wet leaves on wet rocks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MACK1
    RJ....

Live in South Park, ride from the house. We have a group that usually rides on Tuesday nights out here. Try to ride everywhere, whenever I can. Hartwood, Moraine, Laurel, and rode Apollo a few weeks back, what a kick ass system those guys are building.

is that apollo you are talking about (with the kick ass system)? where is apollo?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Tight and technical....

Apollo is located at the end of Rt. 66 headed towards Leechburg, past Delmont. I know Mark and Tawney and have ridden with a few others who are building out there. I know a lot of time and effort has been invested into getting the routes and loops groomed and it definately shows. Post something up on here about wanting to ride out there and I'm sure one of those guys will get it together.

I unfortunately can't ride for a few weeks. I tore some cartiledge in my knee last week in Moab and am on hold by the doc.

Nice no rass

Apollo

Thanks! I've been wondering where that is also. Are the trails well marked? Does anyone have any maps of the area? I've been searching but can't find much. I need to check out some new areas and that sounds closer than Laurel. I love Laurel, but it's about a 50 minute drive. Delmont is only about 20 minutes for me using 66.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Trail Maps..

I'm don't believe there are any maps at this point as they are still cutting in a lot of trail. Mark knows all of the specifics of the area, but all I can tell you is that the watershed dontated the use of 1500' back from the water by 2 or 3 miles along the river to build trails. A pretty dedicated group has been working on them for about 2 or 3 years now and have done a hell of a job. I could probably fineagle my way around down there, but riding with that group would definately be fun. I rode my SS last time out, but that place would be a blast on something with some travel. Maybe it's we can get something scheduled for those interested before the snow comes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MACK1
    . I rode my SS last time out, but that place would be a blast on something with some travel. Maybe it's we can get something scheduled for those interested before the snow comes.

that would be awesome. how far do you think it is from dawntawn pixburgh? would there be enough time from an eve ride before it gets dark, or should a weekend be our best bet? thinking that the weekend after halloween might be our best bet?

where did you ride at MOAB? i was there a couple years ago and i still dream of porcupine rim...

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    This time of year I would have to say weekends would better suit the riding out there unless we ride with lights, which I will never turn down a night ride. I have to go get checked out here next week and I'll know better when I'll be riding again.

We rode just about everywhere out there. Amassa Back, the new singletrack called Sovereign, Slick Rock, and of course Porc Rim. We did however ride up the road to the cattle gate that splits the Porc Rim and Kokopelli trail heads. Now that is a ride, it takes the 22 miles of Porc, and adds about 11 more miles of downhill. Truely kickass.

Members who have read this thread: 0