Rothrock Parking/Trailhead- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2007

Rothrock Parking/Trailhead

I will be coming up from Raystown. What is the closest and most advantageous (cool word) trailhead.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Two main trailheads are Galbraith Gap just outside of State College, and Coopers Gap - nearest town is Milroy. Coopers Gap is a bit closer. Galbraith Gap would be a bit easier to find as the route from Raystown will use larger roads/highways.

I'd base trailhead on trails you want to ride, and if any post ride dining/drinking is planned. Coopers Gap will get you closer to more singletrack without having to ride out on gravel roads. Galbraith typically requires a spin out on roads to get to the singletrack. Not a bad thing, as it serves as a nice warm up. Galbraith is a few minute drive from numerous restaurants, bars in State College. No dining (except fast food options, local greasy spoons) exist near Coopers Gap.

Knowing the riding options both offer, I'd recommend Coopers for if doing a one day visit and you want to focus on riding. Hit up Galbraith for just as good trails, with a few more miles of gravel between them.