Rode Boyce park for the first time today!- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    380

    Rode Boyce park for the first time today!

    After about 12 hours of saddle time riding trails by my house I finally felt comfortable enough to try Boyce. I was nervous since I have only been riding clipless pedals for about 2 weeks now. I took the advice of a friend and parked near the archery range and soccer fields, then rode up the street to the top of the hill and entered the first trail on the right. Not knowing what to expect I worked my way through the trails. 2.5 hours later I was beat! lol

    I never realized there were so many trails back there. I rode all the way down past the log cabins to Thompson Run road then turned around and rode all the way back to the archery range. Took a 15 minute break to eat and rest then rode back up the street past the first trail entrance and saw a fire trail on the right with some single track. So I hopped on that single track and got into some really twisty stuff. It was great!

    My weak point are the log piles. Anything bigger than 6" and I chicken out. Some of those waist high piles are intimidating! Oh yeah, I had a few nice crashes and a really good one at the creek crossing near the log cabins. My front wheel got stuck in the mud and I made a little splash!

  2. #2
    SP Singletrack rocks
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,832
    Quote Originally Posted by jsk0703
    After about 12 hours of saddle time riding trails by my house I finally felt comfortable enough to try Boyce. I was nervous since I have only been riding clipless pedals for about 2 weeks now. I took the advice of a friend and parked near the archery range and soccer fields, then rode up the street to the top of the hill and entered the first trail on the right. Not knowing what to expect I worked my way through the trails. 2.5 hours later I was beat! lol

    I never realized there were so many trails back there. I rode all the way down past the log cabins to Thompson Run road then turned around and rode all the way back to the archery range. Took a 15 minute break to eat and rest then rode back up the street past the first trail entrance and saw a fire trail on the right with some single track. So I hopped on that single track and got into some really twisty stuff. It was great!

    My weak point are the log piles. Anything bigger than 6" and I chicken out. Some of those waist high piles are intimidating! Oh yeah, I had a few nice crashes and a really good one at the creek crossing near the log cabins. My front wheel got stuck in the mud and I made a little splash!

    just riding really fast and slightly picking up the front wheel will get over most any log pile in boyce....

    but Boyce is fun, want to get to know it better but generally stick to South Park and Frick due to closeness.

    curious what local trails by your house?

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    380
    Quote Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA
    just riding really fast and slightly picking up the front wheel will get over most any log pile in boyce....

    but Boyce is fun, want to get to know it better but generally stick to South Park and Frick due to closeness.

    curious what local trails by your house?
    That is a big part of my problem. I'm afraid to approach any obstacle with speed. So I wouldn't have the momentum to carry over the log pile. There barely seems like enough clearance for my rings on the crank so I know that pedaling over it is out of the question.

    Frick park is on my list next since it's not far away. I only live about 3-4 miles from Boyce so it's close to home. But by the end of summer I hope to have made a tour of some of other places like Roaring Run and Bavington.

    I live in an area in Monroeville that is built on top of an old strip mine. We have a little community park at the end of our street and behind that is a wooded area where guys ride their ATVs and dirt bikes. I go back there to practice riding since it's wide enough for a quad. To an experienced rider it would be pretty boring. But for someone like me it's good practice and exercise. I've almost stopped doing cardio workouts on my elliptical because I can ride down there and just practice hill climbs.

  4. #4
    SP Singletrack rocks
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,832
    Quote Originally Posted by jsk0703
    That is a big part of my problem. I'm afraid to approach any obstacle with speed. So I wouldn't have the momentum to carry over the log pile. There barely seems like enough clearance for my rings on the crank so I know that pedaling over it is out of the question.

    Frick park is on my list next since it's not far away. I only live about 3-4 miles from Boyce so it's close to home. But by the end of summer I hope to have made a tour of some of other places like Roaring Run and Bavington.

    I live in an area in Monroeville that is built on top of an old strip mine. We have a little community park at the end of our street and behind that is a wooded area where guys ride their ATVs and dirt bikes. I go back there to practice riding since it's wide enough for a quad. To an experienced rider it would be pretty boring. But for someone like me it's good practice and exercise. I've almost stopped doing cardio workouts on my elliptical because I can ride down there and just practice hill climbs.
    you might hit but it really isnt that big of a worry....when I run a 3rd sprocket for certain races I just really dont care about the damage it will incure.

    if you worried about it get rid of the biggest ring and get a bash guard, the top sprocket is quite uesless for most trail riding around here anyways.

    Frick is a really fun park more technical than Boyce though. If you want easier log piles to learn on south park and Bavington both have those but are kinda of far away.

    also check out

    www.porcmtbclub.org there are local group rides that are posted on here all the time. If you want to get to know the parks with some experienced people who can show you around and possiable helps you 'clear' more stuff this would be the way.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    380
    Thanks! I appreciate the tips. I think much of my issue right now is just a mental block. I walk my bike over an obstacle and show myself that there is ample clearance. But I just can't get past the mental block. I think it is something that will pass once I get more experience riding. I just got my bike in early March so just about 6 weeks of riding. I need to practice!

    Removing that big ring actually doesn't sound like a bad idea. The only time I use it is when I'm riding on the street to and from those local trails. And even that is only about 1/8th mile ride.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.