On the Rocks at French Creek SS gearing- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012

On the Rocks at French Creek SS gearing

Can anyone share experience with this race? I will be entering as a Singlspeeder and am wondering just how steep/techy the climbs get. 32/20 is typically what I'd pick for hillier terrain, but I am wondering if even lower might be wiser.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    that is a good gear for me. but that all depends on if you are a spinner or a masher; how long and how much you've been riding; if you're looking to just finish or crush some peeps; beginner/expert....

i haven't raced there in years but when i did and when i ride there now i'll use my stadard gear of 34x21 which is damn close to what you run.

where do you usually ride? i'd figure if you can ride that gear OK at a place like wissahickon you should be fine on it at french creek. if you can barely turn that over at middle run than maybe gear down a little.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I'm debating between 32x18 and 32x20. I normally run the 18t, but there is the extended climb near the beginning of the course, and a few steep ones throughout. I know I can push the 18 in the beginning, but halfway through the third lap will I be thinking differently? I'm riding there this weekend to see if I can keep the 18t. If it's tough then I'll put on a 20t.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks guys. I think 32/20 will be the right choice for me. I looked at the profile on Strava from last year and I don't see any long flat open sections that would penalize low gears too badly (like fair hills does!). I can climb some pretty steep stuff on 32/20....any steeper and even the geared guys end up walking sometimes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk