Roaring Creek parking and riding direction- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Roaring Creek parking and riding direction

I'm planning on hitting Roaring Creek over the break while I'm visiting with family in Danville. Any advise regarding parking and which way to go? Or any "don't miss" trails? I'm not sure what day/time I'll be able to get away or else I'd just ask for a local to show me around...

Here is the only map that I found but I have a feeling it's missing some trails as park maps usually are.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/cs/group...r_20028405.pdf

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Good question,

I usually ride counter clockwise. I park off RT54

Dietz- here's a link to my in-progress Roaring Creek map. It has a lot of trails not shown on the DCNR map. My map is pretty much all-inclusive in terms of trails, it just doesn't have any labels! I live in Danville, so I park off RT54 at the Natalie playground out of convenience a lot, but I would say that the best access to trails is on RT 42 just north of Aristes where they built the new Weiser State headquarters building last year. The best trails are all on top of the mountain. Just as a heads up, many of the trails at RC are not all that well marked, especially on the RT54 side. You can do anything from a 1hr to a 4hr+ ride at RC, how long are you thinking to ride, I could give some route suggestions.

The signature trail is "Big Mountain" AKA the Ridge Trail AKA the Pipeline. It runs along the top of the mountain ridge from RT42 to RT54. There's various ways to work it into a loop, but unless you drop down to the bottom of the mountain, a significant stretch you'll end up riding both directions. Not that it's a bad thing, it rides good in both directions. A lot of good opportunities for shorter loops east of RT42.

Roaring Creek Parking
    Roaring Creek Trails

(red=ST, blue=DT/jeep road, pink=highway)

mtbr member
    Wow, thanks for that jonz! Im probably looking for a 2-2.5hr ride. I looked at the maps quickly on my phone...ill look in more detail once i have a computer to use.

mtbr member
    Great ride. I ended up not going out along the reservoir and stayed to the east side of Rt 42. I did big mountain up on the ridge then dropped down and rode Headwater down in the valley. Had some fun playing on the boulders around the maintenance building too. I ended up around 14 miles according to the endomondo app.

Roaring Creek parking and riding direction-1226141112a.jpg

Roaring Creek parking and riding direction-1226141140.jpg

Roaring Creek parking and riding direction-1226141302.jpg