Riding Noxen to Ricketts Glen area- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Riding Noxen to Ricketts Glen area

I feel dumb asking this.

I was told if you park by the baseball field in Noxen, you can ride a rail trial up top the Lake Jean area.

I rode up Stull Road a bit and did find some railroad ties, but none of it was a trail, just stops and starts (and somebody's back yard, sorry if you are reading this LOL).

I tried to find it today but no luck.

Does this rail trail still exist? Can anyone give directions how to find it?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I looked at Google Maps and filtered for bicycle trails but nothing came up. It looks like there is a railroad grade that starts near the intersection of Cider Run Rd and Wilson Ayers Rd, west of Noxen. Looks like the grade ends at Mt Spring Lake.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Where ya been buddy?

Yes, plenty to ride up Ricketts way. The main road(dirt) was the old Lehigh Valley RR, goes from Noxen past Stull, Mountain Springs and to Ricketts. About a 9 miler.

If you want to head to Ricketts Glen State Park (SP) on the way up the old rail bed, as you pass Beech Lake rd on your right, and the Medows (a swampy looking lake) to your left is Cherry Springs trail, open to mt biking. It will take you to Ricketts Glen SP. These roads and trails are patrolled by the Game Commission (GC).

Lots of "designated routes" allowed by the GC.

As an example. going up the Main RR bed everything to the right...These roads are not open to vehicular traffic all year, in hunting seasons some are, but mt biking is allowed. You will find gates here and there. Cider Run Rd, South Brook Rd, Henry Lott Rd, Opposum, Brook Rd, all can be ridden under GC laws. Many different routes can be had with some planning.

SGL 57 - Luzerne and Wyoming County

8 miles - Beech Lake/Opossum Brook roads - approximately 8 miles from the gate near Beech Lake to the gate/parking area along the Cider Run Road.

SGL 57 - Wyoming County

3 miles - Cider Run Road - 3 miles from the gate near the railroad grade to the Henry Lot Road gate/parking area.

SGL 57 - Wyoming County

7 miles - Henry Lot Road - approximately 7 miles from the gate/parking area along the Windy Valley Road to the Cider Run Road gate/parking area.

SGL 57 - Wyoming County

10 miles - South Brook Road - approximately 10 miles from gate at storage building to gate at Henry Lot Road.

My family heritage is linked to The Kitchen family who lived and worked at Mountain Springs. Kitchen Creek is named after them. Nothing exists of Mountain Springs any more a ghost town. Since I snowmobile in these areas during winters, I have a vast knowledge of the area and I do host gravel and mt bike rides often

Be aware these game lands 57, 66, 13 are the most desolated ares in Pa, Cell service is bad, not many folks around either, so prepare well...

I spend a lot of time here, if ya see any of my Coyote friends say hello for me!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA View Post
    Where ya been buddy?

Yes, plenty to ride up Ricketts way. The main road(dirt) was the old Lehigh Valley RR, goes from Noxen past Stull, Mountain Springs and to Ricketts. About a 9 miler.

If you want to head to Ricketts Glen State Park (SP) on the way up the old rail bed, as you pass Beech Lake rd on your right, and the Medows (a swampy looking lake) to your left is Cherry Springs trail, open to mt biking. It will take you to Ricketts Glen SP. These roads and trails are patrolled by the Game Commission (GC).

Lots of "designated routes" allowed by the GC.

As an example. going up the Main RR bed everything to the right...These roads are not open to vehicular traffic all year, in hunting seasons some are, but mt biking is allowed. You will find gates here and there. Cider Run Rd, South Brook Rd, Henry Lott Rd, Opposum, Brook Rd, all can be ridden under GC laws. Many different routes can be had with some planning.

SGL 57 - Luzerne and Wyoming County

8 miles - Beech Lake/Opossum Brook roads - approximately 8 miles from the gate near Beech Lake to the gate/parking area along the Cider Run Road.

SGL 57 - Wyoming County

3 miles - Cider Run Road - 3 miles from the gate near the railroad grade to the Henry Lot Road gate/parking area.

SGL 57 - Wyoming County

7 miles - Henry Lot Road - approximately 7 miles from the gate/parking area along the Windy Valley Road to the Cider Run Road gate/parking area.

SGL 57 - Wyoming County

10 miles - South Brook Road - approximately 10 miles from gate at storage building to gate at Henry Lot Road.

My family heritage is linked to The Kitchen family who lived and worked at Mountain Springs. Kitchen Creek is named after them. Nothing exists of Mountain Springs any more a ghost town. Since I snowmobile in these areas during winters, I have a vast knowledge of the area and I do host gravel and mt bike rides often

Be aware these game lands 57, 66, 13 are the most desolated ares in Pa, Cell service is bad, not many folks around either, so prepare well...

I spend a lot of time here, if ya see any of my Coyote friends say hello for me!
    Hey Lee. Yeah I'm still riding. Kind of on my own schedule as I am pretty busy. We were hiking Moon Lake the other day and I said to my wife I haven't been on a group ride in 8 years!

Thanks for the detailed response.

I found the beginning of the rail trail in Noxen. A lot of it seems grown in, so I found myself riding the road along the creek quite a bit.

Someday when I have more time I plan to load up a bit and do some exploring.

Thanks.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Way to go!

Keep exploring, your world awaits you!

Destiny Is All
    Back in the mid 80's we did a ride that started at Evans Falls. Root Hollow Ln for 5-6 miles then south and west to get over to State Game Lands 57. Haven't done it again since then, and can't find my old topos, but you can see it on google maps. We ended the all day ride at Mountain Springs. I'd like to check that out again.
    Save me from the people who would save me from myself.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bilbo56 View Post
    Back in the mid 80's we did a ride that started at Evans Falls. Root Hollow Ln for 5-6 miles then south and west to get over to State Game Lands 57. Haven't done it again since then, and can't find my old topos, but you can see it on google maps. We ended the all day ride at Mountain Springs. I'd like to check that out again.
    Yes, from the top of Forkston mountain through the camps to you could still make your way to South Mountain and down Stonetown rd, Windfarm Rd, or to Henry Lot and SGL 57. Have ridden it last fall.

Root Hollow...My friend John used to live in the last house, he has since moved. You can access half way up Root Hollow, and then it is gated and signed. Root Hollow is private the rest of the way up to the top of Forkston Mountain. I will check on permission. Although I do have permission to access Forkston Hollow, since I have helped them maintain that road a few times, by cutting out blow downs!

I also have another route and permission up South Mountain from the farm off rt 309\29. Takes you to the windmill farm at the top, and from there the old road is segmented by the new road, but still accessible just not all woodsy anymore.

That was part of the Back Mountain Enduro years ago!

Let me know we can leave a second car anywhere and do a mega all day ride!

Destiny Is All
    Was that John Longmore? Albert used to own property on Root Hollow. I'm not sure if he still does. I saw that some of what we used to ride goes by the windmills.
    Save me from the people who would save me from myself.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Yep, John L...moved, to Florida, I think, great guy! He and I helped design our vintage moto track at Allen's Farm years back. Excellent dozer operator. I used to race motos with him back in the day!

Windmills ruined that beautiful mountain top. The old road can still be seen in sections between windmill platforms.