Riding newer bikes in the Wiss?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Riding newer bikes in the Wiss?

Howdy,

I am looking to buy a new FS bike and have been demoing some over the past year...29, 27.5, 27.5+. All that I have ridden have had pedal strikes in areas where I do not have any when I ride the bike I own, a 2011 Kona Tanuki (130mm, FS, 26" wheels). When I compare the new bikes to mine side by side I can see the BBs are lower. I understand this is part of the trends of the newer bike geometries, but am wondering what anyone has done about it who has bought a new bike recently. Have you adjusted your bike (shorter cranks, longer forks, etc), or adjusted your riding (pay closer attention to pedal location while riding up obstacles), or change your lines while riding where needed to avoid strike, or something else?

Where I have had the most strikes is riding upstream through the meadows over those water bars and riding downstream on the roxborough side up the hill just past plymouth rock and the small stream that flows down from the golf course up over the series of rock "steps".

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I haven't adjusted anything over the years of riding at the Wiss with the few bikes I've owned. If a pedal strike happens, I assume it was my own fault. My latest bike, a 2014 trek slash, has 175 mm cranks, and even in the slackest setting (65 HA), I have no issues with pedal strikes.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Just a matter of adjusting your riding position. I'm currently riding a 2018 Niner Jet 9 RDO and have no issues with pedal strikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougr View Post
    Just a matter of adjusting your riding position.
    How so? I am not picturing what you are describing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    On the plus side of things, with a lower CG, you should be able to rail those turns better!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SoobieNeil View Post
    On the plus side of things, with a lower CG, you should be able to rail those turns better!

So true!

mtbr member
    Here is an active discussion on crank length, bottom bracket height and technique. To climb those areas at Wiss I do a lot of ratcheting to keep the pedals up.
    https://forums.mtbr.com/drivetrain-s...h-1105017.html

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Thanks for pointing me to that thread, Heist30. Just the type of info/perspectives I was looking for, minus the drama. haha.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Even with 170mm cranks I do find my new carbon stache bb very low and hard to get used to regarding pedal strikes. I seem to hit them at least 2x a ride these days and never remember these issues before. That said it isn't a huge issue and the low bb makes it ride better everywhere else so it is just a tradeoff. I also learned that even at 6'3" riding ss I don't mind shorter 170 cranks a bit. If I ever find a deal on 165s I might pick up a set. That seems to be the only way to increase rock clearance these days. Of course there is better technique as well but Dammit sometimes you just need to pedal... 😉

mtbr member
    Honestly, the rocks are becoming less and the trails becoming more flowey to fit these new bikes anyway....
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Yes, the Wiss seems to be slowly getting sanitized. I understand the whole sustainable trails thing but miss some of the more gnarly stuff of years past.