mtbr member
    Aug 2003

Riding near Allentown

Looking for a little insight/tips. I will be in Allentown for work and have all day this Sunday to ride. Reading online I think I want to ride South Mountain Preserve and Mt Emmaus. Are these the right 2 choices? I will be taking a co-worker out for a ride at one of the two spots on Tuesday. Part of our ride on Tuesday is work related, we need a good scenic shot of Allentown and/or Bethlehem. Any tips on trail navigation etc would be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    There's some great hikes on the Lehigh river gorge, as for riding its hard to beat nox or mt penn

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by fvh420 View Post
    Looking for a little insight/tips. I will be in Allentown for work and have all day this Sunday to ride. Reading online I think I want to ride South Mountain Preserve and Mt Emmaus. Are these the right 2 choices? I will be taking a co-worker out for a ride at one of the two spots on Tuesday. Part of our ride on Tuesday is work related, we need a good scenic shot of Allentown and/or Bethlehem. Any tips on trail navigation etc would be greatly appreciated.
    "South Mountain Preserve" and "Mt. Emmaus" are the same thing AFAIK as I think formally the place is known as the Rodale Reserve or simply South Mountain - Emmaus accessible from deadend Alpine St. trailhead in Emmaus just west of Allentown.

Been a few years since I've been there but a good place, climbs, rock gardens, logovers. Technical , real workout - not for beginners.

Definitely scenic though.

But you might be thing Sals or formally Walking Purchase Park when you say "South Mountain Reserve". Accessible from deadend Dodson Street trailhead at edge of Fountain Hill just west of Bethlehem.

Also some good climbs, lots of rockgardens, fewer logovers than Emmaus. A little less technical than Emmaus but still not for beginners and definitely a good workout. About 8 miles.

The other old school big mileage technical trail on South Mountain shall not be mentioned by name. ☺

My home trail is Nox. Totally opposite of these others but very scenic lakeside, fast, smooth clay. Fairly flat and friendly for all levels.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    There are two power-line cuts at South Mountain Emmaus that will give you a decent overview of the valley. One will give you more options, as it cuts across the park, while the other will allow for a higher overview but with a more limited field of view.

Maps of SME:
    https://www.bikevmb.com/sites/defaul...62864961_o.jpg (this one doesn't show the new trails on the East side of the power lines with the narrow field of view, but does show the other overlook)

https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/700...ountain-emmaus (this one shows the new loop to the east - note that both maps are oriented differently)

Route indicated on mtb project is fun and challenging. If you're not riding flats or ninja quick with pedal releases on clipless I recommend elbow and knee pads...
    Good luck!

mtbr member
    Aug 2003
    Thank you for the info - Yes I did mean Walking Purchase Park as the 2nd location. Given time/ logistic constraints we may not be able to get to Nox on Tuesday. My job is to go out on Sunday to scope out a spot for the ride with my co-worker on Tuesday. I love highly technical riding. I am from Mass and use to tons of rocks/logs/etc. The guy I am riding with is from Minnesota and used to less tech, so it sounds like WPP is the better option if we can't get to Nox.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    WPP is less technical overall than SME, but has sections that are challenging. I don't think you'll get a great view of the valley from WPP.

Home | VMB - Lehigh Valley, PA Mountain Bike Club should have a trail map.

mtbr member
    A decent amount mapped on Trailforks https://www.trailforks.com/region/lehigh-valley/
    My wife's parents live near Allentown.

Trexler Nature Preserve is another option.

For South Mountain you can use the "Ride Finder" to see possible routes with the criteria you'd like.
    https://www.trailforks.com/ridelog/finder/?rid=16044

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    You won't get any great views from Sals, since just about all of the riding is under tree cover. And i wouldn't waste time on trexler since some of the trails were taken out. Just not worth it in my mind. At least at nox you get some views of the lake.
    LOVE THE RIDE!