Riding in "laurel highlands"?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Riding in "laurel highlands"?

My girlfriend and I are going to be doing some touristy stuff and staying in somerset. I keep hearing that there is trails out there, but I can't find any maps or gps links or anything. I checked out the lhorba site, but that wasnt too helpful.

Is there any place I can find info for this? Thanks if you can help!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Laurel Highlands

There are an amazing Variety of trails near Somerset, but as you have experienced, they are not easy Maps to find.

On Rt 30- about 6-10 miles west of Somerset is a Forestry district office that has loads of current maps displayed for free on the porch. (in Laughlintown)

Also, the warming hut at Laurel Mountain has a lot of the same Maps.

From somerset, take 30 east anfd make a left onto summit road . Travel about 3 miles to the warming hut. there are miles and miles of great technical trails there. Very rocky with little to no real climbing.

For smoother singletrack trails also try 7 springs ski resort. They have a lift served bike park, and the 24 hour race loop offers 12-13 miles of decent single track. Follow 31 west from Somerset. (www.7springs.com). Hidden Valley has good but limited trails as well Maps are pretty hard to come by - For me at least.

PM me and I will get you my phone number and better directions if you require. I will be at my cabin near seven springs from Thurs til Monday riding every day. One of those days we are going to the unbelievable Quebec Run Area near Uniontown.

Aug 2007
    where is the good riding at quebec run. I have a cabin nearby and have never really seen a good loop. i always wanted to try but wasnt sure how to loop it properly. I dont want to keep hitting endless climbs. I also can never find a riding partner. The area is pretty remote and not somewhere i want to get stuck in with an injury

the unvarnished nonsense
    Downloads of official Laurel Ridge maps here:

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/statepar...idge_maps.aspx

(And yes, the singletrack is plentiful and oh so sweet)
    "Sufficient to have stood, yet free to fall."
    -John Milton, Paradise Lost

www.justthebonnet.com
    davis, Who let you out of your cage??? You get back to the VA, WV forum where you belong!
    Capt_Phun's Riding Blog:
    http://captphun.blogspot.com/

I better go get my headlamp while I'm sober....ish

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Great riding throughout

Quote Originally Posted by bprush
    where is the good riding at quebec run. I have a cabin nearby and have never really seen a good loop. i always wanted to try but wasnt sure how to loop it properly. I dont want to keep hitting endless climbs. I also can never find a riding partner. The area is pretty remote and not somewhere i want to get stuck in with an injury
    If you can't stand climbing, don't ride Quebec-- but we think the long climbs are worth the payoff.

Start at the Bottom parking area and take the Gristmill trail (small climb) to the Mill run trail to the Tebolt trail- Climb, climb and head across and down the ridge to Hess and then Rankin (climb, climb) taking you to the top parking area. 1+ mile downhill on the Miller trail- make a left on Mill Run back to the car. Brutal 2-3 hour loop.

If you look at the map the loop above is the outermost trails ridden clockwise from the mill run parking area.

FWIW my wife saw a bear at the top of the Tebolt climb on Saturday. pretty cool.

Members who have read this thread: 0