Riding during bear hunting season- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Riding during bear hunting season

I was wondering if riding Moosic mountain, Moon lake and/or Lackawanna state park would be ok this Monday through Wednesday seeing as it bear hunting season

I would wear orange but is it not a good idea?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Hunting is allowed at moon lake. Not sure about the others
    LOVE THE RIDE!

Chilling out
    Hunting allowed at all local areas except Merli, out by Carbondale. Use your best judgement if going anywhere hunting is allowed.

Personally, I stay away during the few days of bear season, and the first couple weeks of deer season. Just not worth the risk, to me.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thanks. I think I will drive down to bear creek resort and ride those trails tomorrow

alh
    mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Was thinking of riding Nockamixon today but it is hunting season there as well.

Across PA/NJ, no hunting on Sundays, is that correct?

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Pa, no hunting on Sundays

alh
    mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    thx for the quick reply. I'll likely be out on Nox on Sunday.

Randomhead
    Sep 2008
    Raystown trail system is closed for 2 weeks starting Monday. I just can't imagine the hunting there, seems like it's gotta be a good simulation of the hunger games. No way I'm riding there. I'm staying out of the woods except for Sundays until deer season is over. I has been raining here nearly every day, so I'm probably not going to make it out before the Monday either. My experience is that the first day is really busy tapering off until Friday/Saturday, then again the final Friday/Saturday as everyone that didn't bag a rat on stilts goes out for one last try. In this area, with all the Penn State employees having seemingly infinite time off, lots of people take the first week off from work. They don't seem to ever bag anything though.

My wife's family is from Bucks county, and Nockamixon is a big hunting area. My brother in law actually managed to get lost there deer hunting once, bad enough that he stayed the night in the woods. He managed to get turned around on the wrong side of a ridge and didn't figure out what had happened until the sun came up the next day.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Nox was crazy busy yesterday, both riders and hikers. There were a few hunters out but I can't imagine they had much luck with all of the activity there. Trail conditions were awesome.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Hunting at Nox is limited to shotgun - no rifle due to being in Bucks County. Archery only for deer annually until Monday after Thanksgiving. Relatively few deer and hunters east of the lake in the area of the mtb trails compared to other parts of the park. Hunting has decreased somewhat over the years as mtb traffic has grown.
    Park management urges all riders to wear your orange now through January or whenever the trails close for the winter, whichever comes first. Don't ride opening day of buck though basically anywhere - just too crazy. That said, most hunters have been reasonable over the years - they know it is a state park and not hunter-exclusive like the Haycock Mt. Gamelands next door.

Chilling out
    When we moved to PA in '09 my wife did some research. That autumn it was estimated that there would be 900,000 people with rifles in the woods across PA the first days of buck season.

Stop for a moment and think about that number please.

That's more "infantry" on the ground than the entire multi-country roster of the 90-91 Gulf War.

Believe me, I hate having a day off (I'm on a schedule I don't work most Mondays) and not being able to go into the woods, but for deer season I just don't bother. It's not worth it to me, the risk, not anywhere rifles are legal.

I won't even do so for areas like Trexler or Nox where it's bow-only. Again, just too many hunters. ;^(

alh
    mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I'm with you, bear. Love trail riding but accidents do happen...

Did ride Nox today. Few peeps out at 9am, but when I finished, the lot was overflowing. Great riding today.

When does hunting season end? Jan?

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by alh View Post
    I'm with you, bear. Love trail riding but accidents do happen...

Did ride Nox today. Few peeps out at 9am, but when I finished, the lot was overflowing. Great riding today.

When does hunting season end? Jan?
    Not sure of the exact 2017 date but typically the very end of January or the first few days of February most years.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    I won't even do so for areas like Trexler or Nox where it's bow-only. Again, just too many hunters. ;^(
    Just an FYI that shotguns (no rifles allowed in Bucks Co.) ARE legal at Nox in all areas of the park including the mtb trails.

Only ban on hunting is in the day-use area around the park office/marina/ enviro. ed. center and maybe the cabin colony.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Look up the odds of being struck by lightning while cycling!

Life is a risk...
    ...driving your car to a ride is more dangerous...
    ...than being shot by a hunter!

Scared yet?

Chilling out
    FYI, I was down at Mt. Penn yesterday enjoying the sunlight with a couple friends. Trail area is within city limits so supposedly off-limits for hunting. Ran across a small number of other cyclists, had a ball with A-Line, saw a few bipedal (non-cyclic) trail users.

And 3 hunters, one with rifle, one in a stand.

:P

Go Big or Die Tryin'
    I though hunting was NOT allowed at Moon Lake...did something change?
    Slugs love beer.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Yup, now state forest!

Begin rant...

Every year, whine, whine, whine...
    ...when has anyone ever been shot and/or died?

I have run across hunters all my life. Never had a bad day. Hunters usually ask me if I have seen any deer. Most have said they love trails cause a deer will follow the path of least resistance unless it goes under a ledge. I don't ride hunting approved areas in major hunting seasons.

Rant over...
    ...carry on!

mtbr member
    Everyone was pretty neutral on the hunting season thread this year. Normally its a flame fest. We are lucky in PA that there is no hunting on Sunday, so you can ride without coming in contact with hunters. NYS, hunts everyday, so you always have the potential of running into some hunters. Not that there is anything wrong with that, they are generally nice people and love the outdoors as much as mountain bikers do. I get the worry about riding in the woods during the season. I am a former hunter and I won't ride places where hunting is permitted, both because I don't want the conflict of messing up their day (scarring away deer) and hearing shots in close proximity is kind of disconcerting to me. You have to feel bad for them though, they only get to go out for limited season of a few weeks, when the weather is generally sh!t and we can mountain bike pretty much year round. They should probably have a longer season to kill every deer out there - deer are a menace.
    Buy the ticket, take the ride. -HST

mtbr member
    Generally, during hunting season, I don't ride the early morning or early evening. If there is a time you're going to interfere with a deer's natural movement it is at that time.

When dealing with hunters, a little courtesy goes a long way.

After about 9 or 10 am, I don't worry about interfering with hunters. By that time of the day, typically deer only move if they are being pushed out of their normal routine. I'm actually helping the hunter by moving deer (possibly in the hunter's direction) that would normally be staying put.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk