Rides Near Jim Thorpe- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Rides Near Jim Thorpe

Haven't ridden around Jim Thorpe in years. Last time I was there, the trail to ride was American Standard, but I've been digging around online and it doesn't look like that's been getting much traffic on Strava lately. Tried looking up anything on Trailforks or mtbr.com and didn't find much.

Are those trails still rideable? Anyone have any suggestions for a rocky, technical ride around Jim Thorpe?

Thanks!

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    I ride there all the time...
    ...each year I start with an area and work my way around throughout the year. So far this year...BM, Deer, Rabbit Patch, Switchback, Tank Hollow, and yes the D&L many times in process of my rides. Still gotta hit Arner's, Blue Ponds, and upper D&L off shoots.

Every trail is still there, and used very little. The great views keep me coming back! Gonna be another great year. I have other threads with pics.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Thanks. I'm interested in riding out there this summer and been trying to look to see what trails to ride. Looks like a lot of the trails are off the D&L

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Got a question for you guys. Where is the best spot to enter and exit the switchback trail. I was up there yesterday (7/1). I parked right behind the Jim Thorpe High school. On the map it says that that is part of the switchback trail. Well that trail is a miserable uphill hike and its about a 3/4 mile long hike while pushing a bike. I did find the really nice scenic spot overlooking Jim Thorpe. That was really nice. I then exited coming down the Mt Pisgah inclined plane. That sucked to. I am not skilled enough to ride down that. Plus not sure how you can, maybe with a FS bike. Once I got down to the bottom of that I remember I saw a video on youtube about another trail on the ride of the Mt Pisgah inclined place. I took that trail and took it for a while. Turned around partway through because I was getting tired. This trail I really enjoyed. its narrow, but you can roll pretty good on it. Only problem is you cant see other bikers coming from the opposite way. What other trails are definitely worth it? I have done the swithback trail right off of lentz road. I live in Lehighton and I know Jim Thorpe has a lot of trails. Just trying to get back into riding, because I love it and looking to get back into shape. I will be checking out trailforks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Don't know what you were riding on, but the Switchback is nowhere near the HS.
    Look here - https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8648...3,16.02z?hl=en

The green dashed line is the switchback. You can get on here if youre riding from town. If you don't want to deal with the crowds/parking, drive up Lentz Trail and make a left onto Flagstaff road across from the treatment plant. Park along the shoulder and pick up the trail there. You can also continue up to the lake and park there, but then you miss a good part of the trail, IMO.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Thanks for letting me know, I will try flagstaff rd.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    The backside of the switchback has miles of old mining roads and trails.
    https://jttrails.wordpress.com/maps/

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA View Post
    The backside of the switchback has miles of old mining roads and trails.
    https://jttrails.wordpress.com/maps/
    Good deal, I will check that out. I gave some incorrect information. Where I went is right off of North Ave, its behind what looks like a school, but its not the high school. Just up from the Mt Pisgah inclined plane.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Hey all, posting up for the first time after hearing about the site through my friend Max.

I've been lucky to have some folks show me around Jim Thorpe this past year and there are some super solid, technical, challenging rides to be had up around there, in particular on Mount Pisgah. The enduro moto trails are in great shape and are a pretty rad technical option to hit on the MTB.

A great starting point is taking the Switchback Trail out to Summit Hill and taking the single track along the Ridge back to JT. On the way out you can link in Flagstaff Mountain and the Bob's Option Trail if you want a fun fall line descent to throw in. Going back to JT, you can take the Indian Path back to the ball field or tack on some more miles and head over to Nesquehoning on the Ridge.

Another trail that is still a blast to ride is Jeans Run, gotta be one of the longer descents available in the eastern PA area.

This ride below is an example of the various segments that you can link together or just do individual portions for a quicker loop.

https://www.trailforks.com/ridelog/view/5631761/

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Thanks for this great reply, glad to see JT in the mix!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rides Near Jim Thorpe-jt-66929038_10214893958166691_7822431095915282432_o.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Nice pic, i have a pic at same spot with my bike. Wil post it when I can. I think I need 10 replies.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019

Got out this past weekend for a big ride through the Pisgah stuff! Out of the 8 of us it was 3 folks first time up there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rides Near Jim Thorpe-0ea5121c-c515-436c-89e5-856584d64785.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Awesome pics. Maybe get a group ride together sometime with anyone interested. Would be fun plus learn the trails.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Nice shot!...
    ...glad to see ya show'in new folks around!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Finally making it up to Jim Thorpe this coming weekend! Figure I'll stitch together a loop on Trailforks, but if anyone has recs for a first timer, or wanna show me around, I'm not gonna say no!

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Jim Thorpe seems to constantly go after all the things that could make them a great destination town, first not embracing the huge potential for MTB, closing Glen Onoko Falls for hiking, and now going after the train rides? Are they trying to tell people to just stay home and don't visit?

https://www.inquirer.com/news/jimtho...-20191017.html

mtbr member
    Well, I am no fan of the powers in JT but they are right here:

Owner Andy Muller Jr. contends that his train is not an amusement and that he’s in the freight business, “offering passenger excursion rides to local communities as a way of thanking them for their support over the years and to educate young and old in the glorious role railroads in this region played in our country’s industrial revolution.”

The train is pure amusement and entertainment. There is no freight business there.
    It is the Right of the People to Alter or to Abolish It.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    There is a train in Boyertown that does the same type of rides and does not pay an amusement tax. Screw Jt.
    LOVE THE RIDE!

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    The train classified "Historic" and won't pay amusement tax! But the rafters might have to now that they dug this up! Years ago Rocky Glen faced the same tax and was closed forever.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Had a great ride up in the Jim Thorpe region yesterday. With the leaves dropped and plants dying back, sight lines are wide open and things are riding great on Flagstaff, Pisgah, and Broad Mt. Jeans Run was running especially nice, the leaves in the steep rock section have settled/packed in so its not as much of a leaf surfing adventure. For folks looking to get a ride in when trail conditions in SE PA may be questionable, head up to Thorpe for some fast draining fun trails!

The town definitely seemed a lot quieter, almost empty feeling without the trains, hopefully the merchants aren't suffering too bad as a result of some poor politician's choices.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Here also!

I rode the stuff I fav, and yes went through town, parking lot was empty! Sad for the merchants. A few are my friends. trails were super, was on Galen's Revenge and Jeans(James) Run perfect and loads of fun! Checked out old Lausanne too! Was good to be there!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA View Post
    Here also!

I rode the stuff I fav, and yes went through town, parking lot was empty! Sad for the merchants. A few are my friends. trails were super, was on Galen's Revenge and Jeans(James) Run perfect and loads of fun! Checked out old Lausanne too! Was good to be there!
    Stoked to hear the trails were rideable this weekend, since they were a total sloppy mess here in Philly. Gonna keep it in mind for next time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Yeah Jim Thorpe seems like it is pretty ridable any condition except when snow is too deep on the ground.

One thing that caught us off guard was the wooden bridges on the Broad Mt Loop on the way over to Jeans Run from the American standard area. The one going over the actual creek itself looked dry, but was slick like a sheet of ice. Took us out before we even knew what happened with bikes getting precariously close to falling off the bridge and into the creek.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    So I don't want to blow up anyone's spot, but I think it's good to have good info about what trails there are to ride in JT, so in the spirit of that, a few folks put together a 40 mile epic recently. So if you go on trailforks and look for ridelogs say between... 6/28-7/5 you should see some really nice routes that you could load on your Garmin perhaps. Just throwing it out there since there is so little info out there and this is all in public domain...

2 wheel drifter
    Just checked the route out - looks awesome and quite a day. Looking forward to slugging it out when the weather cools down a touch.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Yeah I did the route last Monday in the heat, definitely plan on some car stops during the ride to refuel if going out this summer, good to do the route now before hunting season starts this fall. Route was focused on gentle climbs and fun descents, was 3 good descents off Broad Mountain (Jeans, Rabbit Patch/Cabin Path, and the Prison DH), 2 off Flagstaff (Bob's Option and Shoreline), and 1 off Pisgah (Indian Path). Fairly easy to navigate the route in one shot from the town lot, or do it in pieces parking at Flagstaff Rd or at the Prison Gravel Lot off 93.

2 wheel drifter
    My style is to start pedaling at first light, so as long as the start is in the mid-to low 50's, I'm happy. The ride does seem to have a natural mid-point refuel option if I park in town. Looking forward to this. Last time I rode JT was in 2006 or 07.