The Return of the Coal Cracker Classic! 9/11/11- Mtbr.com
    Tamaqua, PA MTB Race

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! The Return of the Coal Cracker Classic! 9/11/11

Hello all you fellow Coal Crackers!

I wanted to officially announce the return of the Reading Anthracite Coal Cracker Classic as part of the M.A.S.S series for the 2011 season. Please make sure to check back here to keep up to date on any new information. Pre-registration and shirts are now open and available on Bikereg.com:

http://www.bikereg.com/events/regist...?eventid=13497

Please also check and fan our Facebook site for more info at:

http://www.facebook.com/CoalCrackerClassic

For "up-to-minute" info our twitter calling is:

http://www.twitter.com/TheCoalCracker

Thanks everyone for the support and interest and believe me...you DON'T want to miss this next race!

Love,
    Rich and Aaron

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Return of the Coal Cracker Classic! 9/11/11-coal-cracker-poster.jpg  

Tamaqua PA's Premier Cross Country Mountain Bike Race

Ride da mOOn Moderator

... and if we just ...

Thanks guys:

My old a88 will be in attendance, this year sporting long hair, and beard(on my body, not my a88 that is)... LOL Could you please include MORE ROCKS as it is Tarockqua ya know! I'll be out to help on workdays also! Let me know in advance so I can round up others to help ya. Will you have a preride day this year as you did last year? That was fun!

Rich or Aaron shoot me a PM with your ph number so I can call ya for plans.

Looking forward to seeing all you manaics again

Thanks...
    Last edited by rockcrusher; 07-08-2011 at 10:24 AM. Reason: inappropriate image

Tamaqua, PA MTB Race
    @NEPMTBA

Thanks so much for the support my friend! I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the extra trail we're adding in for the expert/endurance loops! I'll keep you updated through this forum with work day and pre-ride information. Coal Region Pride!

Dinner for wolves
    Hell yes. This was such a fun race last year, I will literally strangle to death anyone who tries to prevent me from attending this year. Y'all have a nice day.
    Responds to gravity

Suburban Redneck
    Seriously considering doing the CCC even though I've never raced an MTB and it's been nearly twenty years since I raced road last.
    I'm not big-boned, I'm a Clyde.

Did you ever have ham?

Coal Cracker Classic

Hells Yeah...can't wait!!! Let me know about workdays in advance, I also wuld love to help out! I am wound up now, time to load up and head to the mOOn before work! RIDE ON!!!
    Waging war on my pedals every chance I get!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Has anyone constructed a map of this place? I use to live in the area and did the original Coal Cracker races back in the late 90s. In fact, I still have a t-shirt from one of the races. Whenever I'm back visiting the in-laws, I always try to get to the Bungalow to ride. I generally ride all the sections on the "bottom" and don't usually climb up the exposed rocky climb.

I know that if you go roughly halfway up the climb the trail heads back south along a small ridge and then comes back down. This was part of the old race course. However, I remember one year the trail went all the way to the top of the mountain for the expert loop. This is what I'm curious about. Anyone know what I'm referring to?

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Wink

Ya...

..we didn't use that part where you go up the turn right and come back above the paved parking area. We rode top of the p lot then into the woods and climbed a little bit, then made our way to the left and continued.

The new CCC has lots of great stuff including the moto style drops and ups.

I don't think I ever missed one of the old races! Remember the swag they gave away back then! It was amazing as after the race they would be throwing out stuff for a half hour or so. GO Jama bikes!

Hit it if you can!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    What ever happened to JAMA bikes? I can't remember the name of the guy who ran it (maybe Art?). It's a shame there is not a bike shop in Tamaqua anymore - at least that I'm aware of.

I've also heard rumors that the trails at the Bungalow are technically closed for riding at any time? That would be a shame if true. Is this true or just a liability thing for Reading Anthracite that is not enforced? I've seen numerous riders out there - motorcyclists, quads, and bikers over the years. I live in NJ now so I don't get back that way very often.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by CrashCanipe View Post
    What ever happened to JAMA bikes? I can't remember the name of the guy who ran it (maybe Art?). It's a shame there is not a bike shop in Tamaqua anymore - at least that I'm aware of.

I've also heard rumors that the trails at the Bungalow are technically closed for riding at any time? That would be a shame if true. Is this true or just a liability thing for Reading Anthracite that is not enforced? I've seen numerous riders out there - motorcyclists, quads, and bikers over the years. I live in NJ now so I don't get back that way very often.
    I heard the owner got sick and had to sell out.

It makes sense in this day of super insurance laws that anything could happen, but I have never had a problem there.

Did you ever have ham?
    Those drops were scary...and I was walking down them...LOL!!!
    Waging war on my pedals every chance I get!!!

Tamaqua, PA MTB Race
    @Boxman12. The CCC beginner course would be a GREAT way to get back into the sport! If you are interested in pre-riding the course before the event please don't hesitate to contact Aaron at:

[email protected]

to schedule a pre-ride! Hope to see you in September!

Tamaqua, PA MTB Race
    @CrashCanipe

Since the CCC has partnered with the M.A.S.S. (Mid-Atlantic Super Series) race circuit this year we have been extending and cutting new trail based on the old Coal Cracker course. The beginner and intermediate loop will remain on the lower, bmx style single track course as it did back then. The expert and now ENDURANCE loop will continue past the lower loop and climb the entire Locust Mountain. Unlike past races where racers climbed and descended heading back east, there will be new cut single track put in to keep the race primarily in the woods and eliminate most of the rocky "shake 'n' bake" exposed climb you may remember from past years.

The land where the trails are located is now owned by the Reading Anthracite Company. Any riders you may have seen riding the land may have purchased a "riding permit" costing $100 able to be obtained at Reading Anthracite's office in Pottsville. Our trails are specifically closed due to our insurance policy and relationship with Reading Anthracite. If you would be interested in pre-riding any of the new course please feel free to email Aaron at: [email protected] and we can set something up. If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to post on this thread or email me directly at [email protected] Hope you can make it back for September!

Rich Chwastiak
    Coal Cracker Classic

Tamaqua, PA MTB Race
    Hello Coal Crackers!

Tomorrow Tuesday, July 12th we will be filming our 2011 CCC promo video! If you are not working (which probably most are) feel free to contact me at [email protected] for more information. All you need is your bike, riding gear, and enthusiasm to be featured in the promo for this year's race! Hope you can make it!

Tamaqua, PA MTB Race
    ALSO! new CCC gallery up from last year's 2010 race. Check it out!

http://gallery.mtbr.com/showgallery.php?cat=2012

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by CoalCrackerClassic View Post
    Hello Coal Crackers!

Tomorrow Tuesday, July 12th we will be filming our 2011 CCC promo video! If you are not working (which probably most are) feel free to contact me at [email protected] for more information. All you need is your bike, riding gear, and enthusiasm to be featured in the promo for this year's race! Hope you can make it!
    Location?

Tamaqua, PA MTB Race
    Bungalow parking area Tamaqua (same as October's race day) 12pm!

Tamaqua, PA MTB Race
    A HUGE thanks to everyone who showed up today to film for the 2011 CCC promo video! =)

If you are interested in getting involved in helping the CCC promo team; we have large and small posters that are available to be posted wherever you may ride or frequent. Please contact me at [email protected] for more information! Thanks so much!

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

The vid shoot was awesome!

So, a few unprofessional pics:

Shots of different areas of filming, riding, set up.

Anyone need a cab for their truck?

I heard the kid on the mini bike challenged Chris to race for 10 bucks!

Hope they make ya smile or laugh cause it was a great time and thanks for inviting me! I know we got lots of footage and can't wait to see the results.

You guys are the best!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Return of the Coal Cracker Classic! 9/11/11-imag0207.jpg  

The Return of the Coal Cracker Classic! 9/11/11-imag0208.jpg  

The Return of the Coal Cracker Classic! 9/11/11-imag0209.jpg  

The Return of the Coal Cracker Classic! 9/11/11-imag0210.jpg  

The Return of the Coal Cracker Classic! 9/11/11-imag0211.jpg  

The Return of the Coal Cracker Classic! 9/11/11-imag0212.jpg  

The Return of the Coal Cracker Classic! 9/11/11-imag0213.jpg  

The Return of the Coal Cracker Classic! 9/11/11-imag0214.jpg  

The Return of the Coal Cracker Classic! 9/11/11-imag0215.jpg  

The Return of the Coal Cracker Classic! 9/11/11-imag0216.jpg  

Tamaqua, PA MTB Race
    Lee! Awesome pics! Once again, thanks for coming out and supporting us so much. The video and race this year will be spectacular! I'll drop the posters in the mail for you tomorrow!

Rich

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    da rest...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Return of the Coal Cracker Classic! 9/11/11-imag0217.jpg  

The Return of the Coal Cracker Classic! 9/11/11-imag0218.jpg  

The Return of the Coal Cracker Classic! 9/11/11-imag0219.jpg  

The Return of the Coal Cracker Classic! 9/11/11-imag0220.jpg  

The Return of the Coal Cracker Classic! 9/11/11-imag0221.jpg  

The Return of the Coal Cracker Classic! 9/11/11-imag0222.jpg  

The Return of the Coal Cracker Classic! 9/11/11-imag0223.jpg  

The Return of the Coal Cracker Classic! 9/11/11-imag0224.jpg  

The Return of the Coal Cracker Classic! 9/11/11-imag0225.jpg  

Tamaqua, PA MTB Race

Volunteers needed for trail work Sat. 7/23

Hello Coal Crackers!

If anyone is free on Sat. 7/23, we will be doing some massive trail work on the expert/endurance part of the CCC course. Meeting time and place will be at the Bungalow parking lot in Tamaqua (same as the race start last year) @ 8:00am. If you are a little late no worries! Most of the work will be done to the lower half of the trail so we can pick you up whenever you get there. For more info email me at: [email protected]! Hope to see you on the trail!

Rich

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

OK... I'm in

Blower, weedwacker, trimmers, saws, fuel, shovels, mattox, pry bars

Anything else? Do we need the moto to get around?

Tamaqua, PA MTB Race
    Lee! AWESOME! we can use everything except the moto....we may need it on another date tho! See you then!

Tamaqua, PA MTB Race

Promos are here!

Ladies and Gentleman...I present to you the 2011 Coal Cracker Classic Promo videos! "LIKE" them and "pass them on"! Thanks so much!

Rich and Aaron

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/UGQtrz0vtFE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/y4Akjxlrujo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Many thanks to:

Videographers Mike and Alex and the CCC crew

To anyone viewing this thread I hope you attend this race, you won't be sorry, as it is a first rate professional effort by a group of young guns who have spent lots of time and hard work to pull it off in a great setting as you can see by the vid Tamaqua trails just plain RIP!

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Wink

Motoman465:

Where r u: you have PM, email

no response are u going Satuirday?

Moto moto moto

Tamaqua, PA MTB Race

The CoUnTdOwN begins!

Coal Crackahhhs!

Just a friendly reminder that we are only a little more than a MONTH OUT from the 2011 CCC! Please get your pre-registrations in before the rush and pick up a brand, spankin' new CCC tshirt at bikereg.com:

http://www.bikereg.com/events/regist...?eventid=13497

For up to date information make sure to check out our Facebook page! "LIKE" IT and pass the love!

http://www.facebook.com/CoalCrackerClassic

Just above this post are two youtube videos. Do yourself a favor and check out what our little mountain bike contingent in Tamaqua is capable of. You WON'T regret it!

Love,

Rich and Aaron

Tamaqua, PA MTB Race

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! *NEW* Important Information

Coal Crackers!

Some *NEW* info hot off the presses at the CCC. For simplicity we've separated the BikeReg.com Pre-Registration sites into two categories: XC and Endurance. This year's CCC will have two start locations: Endurance = Bungalow Pool Area; All XC = Tamaqua High School Complex. Please sign up for your correct classification and we will see you on 9/11!

Endurance: https://www.BikeReg.com/events/regis...?eventid=14196

All XC: https://www.BikeReg.com/events/regis...?eventid=13497

Thanks so much!

Love: Rich and Aaron

Ride da mOOn Moderator

... and if we just ...

T minus 6 days and counting!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

c.cracker conditions

@NEPMTBA

Thanks so much for the support my friend! I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the extra trail we're adding in for the expert/endurance loops! I'll keep you updated through this forum with work day and pre-ride information. Coal Region Pride!
    Hard tail 29r or f/s 29th
    scs

Tamaqua, PA MTB Race
    THIS JUST IN:

Michaux's Terror of Teaberry race on 9/11/11 has been postponed till 9/25. The Coal Cracker will continue as planned for 9/11. If you've planned to race Michaux come on by to the CCC!

Coal Cracker Classic - XC Confirmed Riders List

Dinner for wolves
    THIS JUST IN:

Michaux's Terror of Teaberry race on 9/11/11 has been postponed till 9/25. The Coal Cracker will continue as planned for 9/11. If you've planned to race Michaux come on by to the CCC!

Coal Cracker Classic - XC Confirmed Riders List
    Does this mean the trails are handling the water well, or does this mean you guys are reckless optimists? Because the forecast is disheartening to say the least. Here in Philly, you can really see the erosion that has occurred this season, it is quite depressing. I hope you guys in the LHV are faring better, because I am greasing up the chain and airing up the tires in anticipation of fine ride in Tamaqua come Sunday.
    Responds to gravity

Tamaqua, PA MTB Race
    @Buddhak

The trails are handling water great so far with a few exceptions of some large puddles forming that we will drain when the rain diminishes later today. Because most of the course sits above many drainage run-offs and because we dug many water diversions when building the new trail, we are fairing well. See you on Sunday! It's going to be an insane time!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I'm interested in checking out the race tomorrow, plan on making it part of a motorcycle b-fast ride. Anyone know if there will be vendors or if there are good spectator points at all to give someone who's not riding something to keep them entertained?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I found a bike computer on the expert/endurance part of the course. If you can describe it, I'll send it to you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Thanks for everyone that came out today, I know Aaron, Rich, Dean, and myself worked hard to make the trails rock! Besides the D&[email protected] that tore down our markers on the lower course, I hope everyone enjoyed the course. I did not even get to ride all the new single-track, but from the looks of the endurance riders it looks tough, but rewarding.
    Thanks
    Ron