Request for input on PA area MTB trip location- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    259

    Request for input on PA area MTB trip location

    Here's the low down on my request for input:

    The group of folks I ride with are planning a long weekend MTB trip for early summer (likely mid June). We are located in suburban Philadelphia and wanted to stay within 4 hours of the city. Since MBW seems to be over and we don’t necessarily want to wait and see if anything rises out of the ashes, we’re going to do our own thing. The problem is, we don’t want to spend time trail blazing or hunting all day for the good trails. We’re looking for a place that has good maps or marked trails (preferably) to ride and offers challenging terrain. We’d like to have three solid days of riding and would prefer to camp and be able to ride directly to the trails (a la Jim Thorpe). As a frame of reference for our ability, if you’re familiar with the Philly area, we ride Wissahickon, French Creek, Blue Marsh, etc. without great difficulty, so we’re looking for similar to more difficult terrain.

    So here’s the question: what trails/areas would you suggest for such a trip? Some ideas we had were Jim Thorpe (duh! Just won’t be the same without the MBW crowd!), State College area, Michaux/Gettysburg area (are there good maps/guides for this?), NE PA (don’t know ANY trails here), West Virginia. What else should we consider? Staying in PA is not a requirement, but it’s a good start (hence the post on this forum). We’re willing to do some research and such, but marked trails or a good map would be ideal. Of course, if anyone local to the area we choose is willing to ride with/guide us, that would be great too! It might end up sort of like a mini MBW like Dave Bucher hinted at...

    Bottom line, we want to have a great, long weekend of fun and riding. Period. Less driving, more riding.

    Thanks for your input!

    Jeremy

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    272
    One more area to consider: Potter County and the Potato City/Denton Hill areas. Maybe in the high end of four hours from northern/western Philly suburbs. You can easily camp out there in the many state forests/state parks.

    And, you could also make this a little more interesting by spending a day at the start or end in the Bald Eagle State Forest, (located roughly between Lewisburg, Williamsport and Woodward). Maps exist for both areas (the usual MTB books, and also the green SF maps), and the Bald Eagle has an especially good number of possibilities, lots of well marked fire roads with interconnecting trails.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,062
    from what i have seen micheaux looks awesome... but without a guide i would end up pretty damn lost.

    same to be said for lots of great areas out in the "country"

    WV might be nice around davis! you could hit snowshoe one day for shuttling and ride trails the two other days. that area has mindblowing possibilities (ridiclulous rocky technical terrain) as well but you best not get lost, you ever see deliverence???
    Last edited by max-a-mill; 03-02-2006 at 07:43 AM.

  4. #4
    Inbred Homebrewer
    Reputation: Stick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    847
    I'd say Rattling Creek/Lykens fits the bill perfectly.

    http://home.epix.net/~rebjsw/RCSTWeb/

    Quote Originally Posted by JST169
    Here's the low down on my request for input:

    The group of folks I ride with are planning a long weekend MTB trip for early summer (likely mid June). We are located in suburban Philadelphia and wanted to stay within 4 hours of the city. Since MBW seems to be over and we don’t necessarily want to wait and see if anything rises out of the ashes, we’re going to do our own thing. The problem is, we don’t want to spend time trail blazing or hunting all day for the good trails. We’re looking for a place that has good maps or marked trails (preferably) to ride and offers challenging terrain. We’d like to have three solid days of riding and would prefer to camp and be able to ride directly to the trails (a la Jim Thorpe). As a frame of reference for our ability, if you’re familiar with the Philly area, we ride Wissahickon, French Creek, Blue Marsh, etc. without great difficulty, so we’re looking for similar to more difficult terrain.

    So here’s the question: what trails/areas would you suggest for such a trip? Some ideas we had were Jim Thorpe (duh! Just won’t be the same without the MBW crowd!), State College area, Michaux/Gettysburg area (are there good maps/guides for this?), NE PA (don’t know ANY trails here), West Virginia. What else should we consider? Staying in PA is not a requirement, but it’s a good start (hence the post on this forum). We’re willing to do some research and such, but marked trails or a good map would be ideal. Of course, if anyone local to the area we choose is willing to ride with/guide us, that would be great too! It might end up sort of like a mini MBW like Dave Bucher hinted at...

    Bottom line, we want to have a great, long weekend of fun and riding. Period. Less driving, more riding.

    Thanks for your input!

    Jeremy
    "mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

  5. #5
    brozone
    Reputation: brozone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    4

    camping near rattling creek trails?

    Quote Originally Posted by Stick
    I'd say Rattling Creek/Lykens fits the bill perfectly.

    http://home.epix.net/~rebjsw/RCSTWeb/
    Anyone know details about camping out there? It doesn't look like Weisser state forest has any public camping, but the RCST bash info mentions a camp muckleratz -- I assume a private campground?

    -- brozone

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: InvictaS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,878
    Try to find a state park that has some good riding near it. Then you could camp at the park then go riding. I often go riding at Linn Runn/Laurel Mtn. State Park, they have cabins available to rent and there is plenty of riding available inside the park. You could literally step out of one of the cabins and be on the trails in 2min.

    http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/index.aspx

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    259

    so far so good

    Great information so far. Keep it coming! Are these trails that have been mentioned well marked?

    How much riding is out in Lykens? Days worth?

    Jeremy

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    324
    Quote Originally Posted by JST169
    Great information so far. Keep it coming! Are these trails that have been mentioned well marked?

    How much riding is out in Lykens? Days worth?

    Jeremy
    RCST has a good bit of trails, you can cover most of the singletrack in a good long day. That is if the rocks don't get the best of ya, more rocks than French Creek. When/if you become a member you get a very good map that will get you there and back. All milage on the map.

    Swatara has about 6 miles of singletrack (working on more), but we do a 20+ mile loop of singletrack, doubletrack, rail trail, dirt road and 1/2 mile paved road. Don't know of any map.

    There is a KOA very close to the Swatara trails, which is about 40 minutes from RCST and Blue Marsh.

    Mike

  9. #9
    Hoopy Frood
    Reputation: khill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    255

    Maps

    You can find some resources for central PA here:

    http://www.purplelizard.com/

    and

    http://www.mtnittanywheelworks.com/

    A while back, some guys from NC took a trip through PA and took lots of photos. You might look through their posts for reference. They hit Michaux and RCST:

    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=111392

    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=111650

    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=111783
    I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. - Thomas Jefferson

  10. #10
    Prez NMBA
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    719

    Rothrock State Forest

    You should definetly consider making the trip up to state college. The riding in Rothrock is great, plenty technical. There is at least two solid days, probably three of riding in Rothrock with another day up in Moshanon, 45 minutes north, and another day or so in Bald Eagle 45 minutes or so to the east. There is great camping at Greenwood State Forest, bathrooms, hot showers etc, with a swiming area for a post ride dip. That abuts the forest and you can do at least one of the days riding right from your site. I would suggest a car ride to the other side of the forest to do the tussey stuff but you could ride over there too. There is also primative camping at Penn-Roosevelt state park, more in the middle of all the riding, well kind of. Let us at nittany mountain bike assoc know when your coming and im sure we can russle up some locals to ride with, heck we are out there every weekend anyways. always love to ride with new people. www.nittanymba.org

    btw as far as Lykens goes, the Bash is held at a boy scout camp next to the state forest.

  11. #11

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    316
    always support the locals

    check out www.grizguides.com. He's an awesome guy and has some awesome mtn bike guide books. Rothrock etc. Tell him IMBA Joe sent ya!(sorry no discount)

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jim Thorpe Trails's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    184

    If you like fireroads.....

    Sorry, but I picked up his Rothrock guide and the rides were horrible. Mostly fire roads and fall line descents, I tried rides in both Rothrock and Black Moshanon. Luckily I met some locals who set me up with a Purple Lizard map and pointed to the good rides, and there are some truely great ones. Stop in the Bike Shop, 441 W College Ave, State College, PA (814) 238-9422 and pickup the map and ask about good singletrack trails. They also rent bikes there, they hooked my out of state friends up with free rentals for my wedding morning ride! We rode Singletown and had an amazing ride. You can also get the map here: http://www.purplelizard.com/



    Quote Originally Posted by Hackamo
    always support the locals

    check out www.grizguides.com. He's an awesome guy and has some awesome mtn bike guide books. Rothrock etc. Tell him IMBA Joe sent ya!(sorry no discount)
    Jim Thorpe Trail Coalition
    http://jttrails.wordpress.com/

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    272
    I agree with this, the maps and the rides in the grizguide, for Bald Eagle State Forest in particular, are not nearly as good as what you can figure out by looking at the green State Forest maps. The SF maps at least tell you what is a dirt road, what is a trail, and how many contour lines the route crosses.

    Having said that, the BESF is still very much worth spending a day or two to ride and explore.

  14. #14

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2

    You'll be impressed!

    You guys should definitly go to Snowshoe. The place rocks. Super mountian bike friendly. You'll be hard pressed to ride everything in a week, let alone a few days. The accomodations range from camping to 5 star rooms with kitchens. The lodging is cheap in the summer. This is a GUARANTEED blast of a good time. Can't go wrong, 3 1/2 hours from Pgh. and worth every mile to get there.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    272
    Quote Originally Posted by Diknme
    You guys should definitly go to Snowshoe. The place rocks. Super mountian bike friendly. You'll be hard pressed to ride everything in a week, let alone a few days. The accomodations range from camping to 5 star rooms with kitchens. The lodging is cheap in the summer. This is a GUARANTEED blast of a good time. Can't go wrong, 3 1/2 hours from Pgh. and worth every mile to get there.
    I think you're at the wrong end of the state, he wants something within four hours drive of Philly, not the 'Burgh.

  16. #16
    3 "fiddy" for short
    Reputation: be350ka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    2,739
    I think he is talking about Snowshoe, PA which is about 30-45 min north, north west of State College. There is some Great riding out in that area!!!!

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    272
    Didn't associate a week's worth of riding amd '5 star rooms with kitchens' as being in Snowshow, PA. But that kind of stuff is available in Snowshow, WV, condos from the ski area, and etc.

    Is there really a week's worth of riding around Snowshoe, PA, or is he really referring to Rothrock or Black Moshannon state forests?

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.