Recommend something other than Wissahickon?- Mtbr.com
    Phatt Tire Luva'

Recommend something other than Wissahickon?

Hello all,

I have some what recently moved to the area, and have been riding the Wissahickon since June. I was curious to know if anyone might be willing to recommend any other respectable trails within an hour drive or so from Wissahickon.

Thanx,

-Al-

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Qanuk
    Hello all,

I have some what recently moved to the area, and have been riding the Wissahickon since June. I was curious to know if anyone might be willing to recommend any other respectable trails within an hour drive or so from Wissahickon.

Thanx,

-Al-
    Spring Mt., Bear Creek and Jocobsburg. There are tons of places to ride near Allentown which is probably about an hour from you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Belmont, practically across the river...

International Lover

French Creek

Hello all,

Thanx,

-Al-
    Almost exactly an hour west of Wissahickon.
    Personally, I prefer FC over Wiss, but that's me.

-C
    Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat.

Inbred Homebrewer
    Hello all,

Thanx,

-Al-
    An hour (or so) drive, eh? That buys you quite a bit, really, it just depends on the type of terrain that you're after.

French Creek - somewhat rocky & technical (more so than Wissahickon) with some long climbs and descents.

Blue Marsh Lake - 30 miles of rolling single- and double-track. Mostly fast hardpack, with some trickier parts here and there and an occasional gravel road stint.

Valley Forge - Great, twisty singletrack. Relatively flat, with a handful of exceptions.

Pennypack Park - like wissahickon, only smaller. Great for singlespeeding. Fun place to take kids (if you have 'em) to work on their off-road skills.

Ralph Stover S.P. - my favorite short loop. 6+ miles of fun stuff that never gets old.

There are a bunch of good spots in DE & MD that fall well within an hour's radius of Philly.

Plenty of good rides a bit further north in the Poconos & Lehigh Valley (1.5 - 2 hrs drive).

Those ought to keep you pedaling on fresh dirt for a while...
    "mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    yeah, lots of good stuff round here!

you owe it to yourself to familiarize yourself with belmont (is less muddy than wiss after rain)! i've never been to pennypack either but plan to change that soon!

french creek rocks in a technical way. fairhill (MD) rocks in a crosscountry/fast twisty way.

Respect Your Trails
    I used to ride the Wiss just about everyday, and would make a drive out to French Creek occassionally when living in Manayunk. Now I'm still within around an hour of both of those places. But after doing some research on the trail section here on MTBR, and by Mapquesting the areas, I've found tons of other rides close to me in all different directions. It is hit or miss. I read what people have to say, and decide if it is worth checking out. Sometimes in my opinion it wasn't, but at least I still got out, and I know in the future. And I find it fun to do some exploration in an area I've never been to.

Check out New Jersey too. Depending on where you live around here, there are some rides there that may not be too bad of a drive....and will offer some variety.

Stick listed some great options in PA and MD. I gotta agree, Ralph Stover is a blast.

Down towards Yardley is Core Creek which offers a good after work, or quick Sat. morn. run. Great for a SS.

Some NJ rides I know of are Round Valley & Sourlands.

Research, ride, repeat. Good luck. This area has tons of stuff to offer.

Phatt Tire Luva'

Are you sure about Belmont!

Quote Originally Posted by max-a-mill
    yeah, lots of good stuff round here!

you owe it to yourself to familiarize yourself with belmont (is less muddy than wiss after rain)! i've never been to pennypack either but plan to change that soon!

french creek rocks in a technical way. fairhill (MD) rocks in a crosscountry/fast twisty way.

Took you word and went over to Belmont today... I will go with the fact that maybe I was in the wrong section of the park. But, what ever part I was in, didn't come close to Wissahickon!

As for Belmont draining faster than Wiss. Despite my thoughts of Belmont being a waste of time, and remember - I could have very well been on the bad part of it (although that is one shady park - there were quite a few cars sitting around with people apparently getting high, and who knows what else), there is no way that Belmont drains faster than Wiss. No Way!

I am willing to give Belmont another chance, but if I could get some better directions to the good trails that would be great!

Thanx for the thoughts,

-Al-

Inbred Homebrewer
    Took you word and went over to Belmont today... I will go with the fact that maybe I was in the wrong section of the park. But, what ever part I was in, didn't come close to Wissahickon!

As for Belmont draining faster than Wiss. Despite my thoughts of Belmont being a waste of time, and remember - I could have very well been on the bad part of it (although that is one shady park - there were quite a few cars sitting around with people apparently getting high, and who knows what else), there is no way that Belmont drains faster than Wiss. No Way!

I am willing to give Belmont another chance, but if I could get some better directions to the good trails that would be great!

Thanx for the thoughts,

-Al-
    Chip was at Belmont?!?

*ba dum bump*

It's only shady if you spend lots of time in the parking lot watching people smoke.

1. It's no wissahickon. Period.

2. There *are* some very fun trails there - if you know where to look - but not enough (IMO) to make it worth the trip unless I'm going for the races on thursday nights. Since I couldn't care less about the racing scene these days, that means I skip Bellmont in favor of one of half a dozen other spots (listed in my earlier reply).

Freshly Fujified

hehehehehe

Quote Originally Posted by Stick
    Chip was at Belmont?!?

*ba dum bump*

It's only shady if you spend lots of time in the parking lot watching people smoke.
    This should bring him outta the woodwork.....
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quank and Stick,

i think you need to ride there with me....

it might not have the mileage of wissahickon (but i bet it's getting close these days). but if you know all the sections there is some REALLY fun stuff over there. much twistier and technical (in the XC sense twisty, tight, lots of logovers).

and it does drain quicker!

i have a feeling you (Quank) probably just got stuck on the one lower (slightly overridden, lately) part of the park...

if someone hadn't showed me all the trails i probably would have had no idea (they are really hidden in spots).

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by max-a-mill
    Quank and Stick,

i think you need to ride there with me....
    Maybe. I don't know how much new stuff there is, cos I haven't been there in close to 5 years. I just know the old trails that the race used to run on (all of the big obvious sections: not in order - up or down Parachute Hill, through the meadows, crossing Collarbone Creek, the cool, tight twisty area near the little roundabout that goes under the old stone bridge-y thing, trails over by the fence (recycling center?) etc etc etc.)

The newest-cut part that I can remember would be the somewhat tight, rocky singletrack to your right as you enter the woods from the parking lot at the bottom of the plateau. It's all sorta vague in my mind now - hard to describe. That part used to be the last section on the course before making a left, heading out of the woods and riding the doubletrack back up toward the trees on the plateau.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a really fun place to ride - it's just a huge pain in the a$$ for me to get there...76 is evil.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Stick
    Maybe. I don't know how much new stuff there is, cos I haven't been there in close to 5 years. I just know the old trails that the race used to run on (all of the big obvious sections: not in order - up or down Parachute Hill, through the meadows, crossing Collarbone Creek, the cool, tight twisty area near the little roundabout that goes under the old stone bridge-y thing, trails over by the fence (recycling center?) etc etc etc.)

The newest-cut part that I can remember would be the somewhat tight, rocky singletrack to your right as you enter the woods from the parking lot at the bottom of the plateau. It's all sorta vague in my mind now - hard to describe. That part used to be the last section on the course before making a left, heading out of the woods and riding the doubletrack back up toward the trees on the plateau.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a really fun place to ride - it's just a huge pain in the a$$ for me to get there...76 is evil.
    i don't have anytime this weekend but i'll post up here the next time i head over. i think you'd love to see how nice some of the newer trails are! you can't really improve on the location (the buzz of cars never subsides), but the trails are really fun... you can ride for over two hours without doubling up on more than a mile or two of trail.

i don't even think the thursday night crew knows ALL the trails (or at least they THANK GOD they keep to the stuff you talked about on thursdays).

Trail eater
    [QUOTE=max-a-mill]i don't have anytime this weekend but i'll post up here the next time i head over.

hey max-a-mill, please post. I ride belmont fairly often too and I think (well maybe not now) that I had ridden all of the trails there. It would be nice to catch up for a ride and check out any parts I have not yet ridden
    i live in center city so its not a big hassle (apart from work) to get out there.
    Climb like a goat, descend like a banshee

Phatt Tire Luva'

O.K. on another note now...Tire Selection!

O.K.

So as I said, I would give it another try... and once the slightly warmer weather returns, Chip - Stick; sounds like we need to meet out there!

I am planning on posting the following post in the Wheels & Tires forum too, but I thought I would ask you guys as well...

I am going to be in the need for some new tread soon. I have been riding the 2.1 Fire XC's since they debuted, and have always liked them. But, for sure - and especially in Wissahickon, PA. they have their faults, such as not an ounce of traction on some of the better loose climbs. And with out a doubt, they become no better than suck ass once the slightest bit of moisture is on any given surface.

I have been doing lots of reading about the newer WTB stuff, and overall it appears they are making great products.

I was thinking about going with the following as a setup.

Front: 2.3 WeirWolf
    Rear: 2.3 TimberWolf

Is there any benefit to taking the extra weight and going with the 2.5's instead?

Just as a heads up, I ride a hardtail (until the wife buys me my Flux... engagement gift!) love to climb, and am a scant 230!

Any insight into this setup, or another similar would be great!

Thanx,

-Al-[/QUOTE]

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    O.K.
    I am going to be in the need for some new tread soon. I have been riding the 2.1 Fire XC's since they debuted, and have always liked them. But, for sure - and especially in Wissahickon, PA. they have their faults, such as not an ounce of traction on some of the better loose climbs. And with out a doubt, they become no better than suck ass once the slightest bit of moisture is on any given surface.

I have been doing lots of reading about the newer WTB stuff, and overall it appears they are making great products.

Is there any benefit to taking the extra weight and going with the 2.5's instead?

Just as a heads up, I ride a hardtail (until the wife buys me my Flux... engagement gift!) love to climb, and am a scant 230!

Thanx,

-Al-
    [/QUOTE]

Hey there,

I ride the fire fr 2.3's front and rear in the wiss. They climb great. The nice thing about running larger tires is that you can lower your air pressure. The lower pressure greatly increases the traction.

WTB have always made good products and I bet you won't go wrong with anything that they make.

regards,
    scoon

Inbred Homebrewer

Thanx,

-Al-
    Al,

I ride a hardtail, love to climb, and weigh almost 80 lbs less. FWIW, My feeling on tires is -unless you plan on racing XC regularly - wider is ALWAYS better. I've got the Weirwolf 2.5 (the original one, not the new 2.55 'lightweight' one) on the front of my bike and I absolutely love it. It's mounted on a wide rim (Sun Mammoth), and it just grips like mad in every condition I've tried. I wouldn't sweat the weight difference between it and the 2.3. You'll hardly notice.

As for rear tires, I use 2.35 DH tires. I'd go wider if I had more clearance, but 2.35 is as wide as I can go. Using Intense DH racing tire (60D) right now. It's heavy, but it's bulletproof, grippy, rolls well enough and I can run it at very low PSI without flatting. I also loved the Maxxis Super Tacky High Roller 2.3 - but it wore out too fast - and the Tioga Factory DH (discontinued, I think).

Haven't tried the timberwolf, so can't comment.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    i just wanted to pipe in and give my love for panaracer fire's; i heart those things!

before i went to bigwheels i rode the fire FR 2.4 on the front of all my bikes and thought it was the best front tire ever!

for the back i think they may not be THE BEST but close.... i really like any decent tire with a paddle tread (like the old smoke) for maximum traction!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    i love the fire! ive been riding xc fire pros 2.1" for a very long time. i have tons of confidence in wet conditions with them, i never thought that was a problem. i think theyre pretty good in the loose stuff as well!

the funny thing is.. i need new tires, and have been looking for some new rubber also! im thinking about schwalbe racing ralph of little albert. any one have experience with them?

Members who have read this thread: 0