Reading cyclist kills teen robber on trail- Mtbr.com
    my church is the woods

Reading cyclist kills teen robber on trail

Good for this guy! All you need is one of these incidents every 5 years or so to put the scare into these teenage thugs. And good on the cops for making the right call and releasing this man without charge, as he was acting in self-defense. Reading can certainly be a dangerous place to ride...

http://readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=361536

Victim kills teen robber on trail, police say

Jason A. Kahl see more articles by Jason A. Kahl
    Reading Eagle

A 65-year-old man shot two teens, one fatally, as they tried to rob him Wednesday morning on a trail near the Schuylkill River, police said.

The Berks County coroner's office did not release the name of the boy who was killed, saying only that he was a 16-year-old from the city. Officials said his mother asked them to give her time to notify relatives before releasing his name.

He was pronounced dead at the scene at 12:17 p.m. by Deputy Coroner Jonn M. Hollenbach. An autopsy is scheduled this afternoon in Reading Hospital.

The other teen, who was shot once, was taken to Reading Hospital. Police did not release his name. Information on his condition could not be obtained.

A third teen, identified only as a 15-year-old boy, was stopped at the scene by police and taken in for questioning. He was later committed to the county youth center in Bern Township on unspecified charges.

Authorities also did not release the name of the man, who was not charged.

Police said the shooting occurred shortly before 11 on the Thun Trail near the Schuylkill River pedestrian bridge between Reading and West Reading.

According to investigators:

The man was riding his bicycle on the trail near the Bertolet Fishing Dock at South First Avenue and Chestnut Street in West Reading.

The teens knocked the man off his bicycle, and two of them assaulted him.

The man pulled out a handgun and shot them both.

Someone flagged down a passer-by in the 200 block of Riverfront Drive near Reading Area Community College.

Within minutes officers from the city, West Reading, Cumru Township, state police and the Berks County sheriff's office were at the scene. They found the dead boy on a sliver of land that is part of Cumru at the end of the pedestrian bridge.

District Attorney John T. Adams responded with detectives from the county's forensic services unit.

After consulting with Adams, police decided to release the man and charge the juvenile.

Cumru police ask anyone with information to call 610-777-9595.

Nickel Havr
    I am glad that the shooting was justified...
    It's a shame that it had to come down to that.

But at least the law works in this instance...

I carry while riding as well...
    Quote Originally Posted by William Blake
    Great things are done when men and mountains meet. This is not done by jostling in the street .

mtbr member
    May 2004

Smarter Than He Looks
    I'm glad the rider was able to defend himself, but like Eckstream said - what a shame we even have to think about that scenario!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I think we have too many brainless kids nowadays. There's always going to be some but I don't remember having so many when I was around that age.

Anyways, although I wouldn't want to cheer while fatality involved but I still would say this was happy ending.
    2012 S pecialized Hardrock Sport Disc 29er

2017 SANTA CRUZ Hightower CC X01

mtbr member
    Play stupid games when stupid prizes.

Very unfortunate that his random act of violence occurred. I feel sorry for the bike rider, that he had to take someone's life, but these kids decided to attack and assault him, 3 on 1.

The guy feared for his life, and eliminated the threat.

mtbr member
    wow . eye for a eye tooth for a tooth . it is a shame this had to happen . i glad the rider did not get charged. why did the target a rider cuz i dont know about everyone else i only have water , tool and my inhaler in my pack not much to steal.

Nickel Havr
    Just turned up some new info that has made me sick...
    Had local police done their jobs earlier in the day... None of this would have happened.

"Johnson had previous run-ins with the law and skipping school violated his probation, Adams said. Probation officers went to his home Wednesday morning, placed an electronic monitoring device on him and told the other two teens to go back to school, Adams said."

"Mr. Johnson and the two other juveniles did not go back to school, and Mr. Johnson did not obey his probation officers."

"Instead, Adams said, the teens went into West Reading and assaulted an elderly man and another man before targeting the bicyclist."

DA: Robbery victim, 65, justified in shooting of teens on trail | Regional: Berks - Home

Truly sad indeed...
    Great things are done when men and mountains meet. This is not done by jostling in the street .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tuffgrrl View Post
    wow . eye for a eye tooth for a tooth . it is a shame this had to happen . i glad the rider did not get charged. why did the target a rider cuz i dont know about everyone else i only have water , tool and my inhaler in my pack not much to steal.
    I believe that trail is paved. So I'm sure lots of people carry their wallets and whatnot on them when riding. Also, they might have wanted to steal the bike as well.

If not any of the above, they might have just wanted to hurt someone for "fun."
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Fun was first thing that came to my mind when I first saw this. I could be wrong but first thing that came to my mind was just couple of brainless kids wondering around beating up weak old people/people who they think weaker than all 3 of them combined.

Yes, it's shame that someone had to die but I really don't feel sorry for one who died in this case. Some people just don't think about consequences as if that part of brain is dead. If you make decision of beating up someone(which could potentially kill too) be prepared to face a beat down too or potential death. But then, me saying this is useless because those who would do things like this can never understand that.

Anyways, if this happened exactly as show in news, I fully support that old man and feel sorry that he had to go through this.

Quote Originally Posted by joshhan View Post
    I believe that trail is paved. So I'm sure lots of people carry their wallets and whatnot on them when riding. Also, they might have wanted to steal the bike as well.

If not any of the above, they might have just wanted to hurt someone for "fun."
    2012 S pecialized Hardrock Sport Disc 29er

2017 SANTA CRUZ Hightower CC X01

mtbr member
    There's another thread on this as well.

http://forums.mtbr.com/general-discu...in-764820.html

As I said in that one, three teens knock old guy off bike, 2 continue to assault him, he feared for his life, he eliminated the threat with the results being 2 shot, one dead, one in surgery, one in some type of youth facility after being questioned. Unless the information changes, it would appear it is justified.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Too bad they can't charge the parents in this case with something.

Nickel Havr
    Quote Originally Posted by db09jku View Post
    There's another thread on this as well.

http://forums.mtbr.com/general-discu...in-764820.html

As I said in that one, three teens knock old guy off bike, 2 continue to assault him, he feared for his life, he eliminated the threat with the results being 2 shot, one dead, one in surgery, one in some type of youth facility after being questioned. Unless the information changes, it would appear it is justified.
    The DA and Sheriff have ruled it as justified self defense...

Nickel Havr
    I believe that trail is paved
    Its paved in some parts... And hard packed crushed stone in other parts.
    There are places to stop and eat along the trail and some people use the trail to commute between Reading and the suburbs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckstream1 View Post
    The DA and Sheriff have ruled it as justified self defense...
    Cool. Glad to hear.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by XCoalMiner View Post
    Too bad they can't charge the parents in this case with something.
    You can't assume that the parents were bad parents. I have known plenty of horrible kids with great parents. In some instances the parents can be to blame but not all.
    "Your opinion may vary, but it's stupid." -Rich Dillen

Did you ever have ham?
    That really is a shame that a young person had to lose his life, but there is no reason for what they were trying to do. I am so glad that gentleman was able to defend himself and that the shooting was deemed justified. Still, he will have to live with that for the rest of his life....not an easy thing to deal with....my heart goes out to him!!!
    Waging war on my pedals every chance I get!!!

banned
    Apr 2009
    I am Glad he had a gun and was able to defend himself against that. It is a shame that this fool had to die (but Parents need to use this as a teaching tool so their own kids don't get killed doing something stupid)----

Stupid is stealing, Criminal is assaulting---So **** happens!!

--I have always thought what better place for criminals to rob someone of a $5,000 bike and basically do it where NO Camera's are... It only seems best to carry whatever you need to not get killed yourself (and robbed)-----These fools are killing folks for $50 and being on videotape!!------imagine what they would do for $5,000 and NOT be videotaped... (It seems best go to the trails as prepared as youI can be for that!!)

mtbr member
    I'm going to throw out a perspective. Not saying this would work or how I would react in this situation. It's just some things that come to my mind in a situation like this.

What's more valuable, a bike or a life? or having to live with taking someones life when you could have just given them what they wanted. Might you get beat up, probably. Might you possible change at least one of these boys lives by not fighting back, maybe. Did you change the lives of the two boys that survived by creating an example? maybe. Probably not. Do I think this guy did the right thing? No. Neither do I think the boys did. Are we, as a nation, failing to raise not just our own children up BUT other children as well who do not have a good influence into good people? Yes. It's tough to root for the innocent in this matter. I guess he did what he felt he had to do. We will never know how it would turn out if the victim would have done things differently. Stories like this make me cringe. Martin Luther King Jr. said hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that. How have we shown love to the two young victims that survived? Will we show love to them, and not just the love they will get in jail? Did they get what they deserved? Tough questions. Even better, how have we shown love to the victim? I would love to hear his story. To carry a gun at 61 years old and shoot somebody. This guy has to have a past of hurts and troubles. He needs compassion too. Everyone is a victim in this story.

Nickel Havr
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathangeiman View Post
    I'm going to throw out a perspective. Not saying this would work or how I would react in this situation. It's just some things that come to my mind in a situation like this.

What's more valuable, a bike or a life? or having to live with taking someones life when you could have just given them what they wanted. Might you get beat up, probably. Might you possible change at least one of these boys lives by not fighting back, maybe. Did you change the lives of the two boys that survived by creating an example? maybe. Probably not. Do I think this guy did the right thing? No. Neither do I think the boys did. Are we, as a nation, failing to raise not just our own children up BUT other children as well who do not have a good influence into good people? Yes. It's tough to root for the innocent in this matter. I guess he did what he felt he had to do. We will never know how it would turn out if the victim would have done things differently. Stories like this make me cringe. Martin Luther King Jr. said hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that. How have we shown love to the two young victims that survived? Will we show love to them, and not just the love they will get in jail? Did they get what they deserved? Tough questions. Even better, how have we shown love to the victim? I would love to hear his story. To carry a gun at 61 years old and shoot somebody. This guy has to have a past of hurts and troubles. He needs compassion too. Everyone is a victim in this story.

I wish this were the case... I really do.
    However... The teens had robbed TWO other people before the armed gentleman. Seeing as how they were still alive by the third time they tried to rob someone shows that the first two victims just gave the kids what they wanted.
    That didn't stop them from robbing other people...

Calling the kids victims is a major injustice to the armed gentleman... He had to defend himself from 3 attackers! They gave him no warning... Just jumped him from behind with no time to give them what they wanted.

I live in the city this happened in... There are quite a few people that just don't care about rules or laws... Love doesn't mean a thing to them.

Try to explain how much you love one of these thugs as they plunge a knife into your abdomen...

Either way... I wouldn't just walk up to a complete stranger and give them $3k of my hard earned money. (value of my current bike)

EDIT: Just had to add this! From the same city...

Suspect accused of robbing man who lent him $40

http://readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=362308
    Last edited by Eckstream1; 01-30-2012 at 09:51 AM.

mtbr member
    By calling them victims, I don't mean in this particular situation. But the victim of having to grow up in the environment they did. It certainly aided in their current lifestyle. No, I wouldn't give my bike a random stranger, however, if the choice came down to shooting them or giving them my bike, I'll give them my bike in a second.

This is the world we live in though. I'm not saying that to say, ho hum, we shouldn't do anything.

Anybody think that video games and tv adds to why some people act violently the way they do? Just curious to hear some thoughts.

Nickel Havr
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathangeiman View Post
    Anybody think that video games and tv adds to why some people act violently the way they do? Just curious to hear some thoughts.
    No... I think it's used as a scapegoat.
    People never want to take responsibility for their actions.

I say this particular incidence is more related to Readings soaring poverty...

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Si vis pacem, para bellum - Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus
    Your signature is funny. It's not much different than the Adolf Hitler quote "We want peace, total peace and nothing but peace, and even if we have to fight the bloodiest battle, we are going to get it." But I guess you think it sounds more profound when it's written in Latin.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    There was an article in the paper a few days after this all occured, and the 3 boys assaulted 2 other people earlier in the day.. One elderly and another older man.. All we know is that he was assaulted.. He may have thought they were going to kill him? I can't imagine he ever wanted to kill anyone, but a 65 year old man being assaulted by 3 able-bodies individuals will do everything to defend himself.. Reading isn't necessarily the most pleasant place, and I don't blame him for carrying one bit.. They even got busted for skipping school, the one that was killed was violating his probation by skipping school and had an electronic monitoring device put on that morning, and the three of them were told to go to school by an officer.. instead they decided to jump and rob random people.. so how about the officer that thought telling the 3 boys to go to school was enough and that they would actually listen?

Nickel Havr
    Quote Originally Posted by paroxnstuff View Post
    Your signature is funny. It's not much different than the Adolf Hitler quote "We want peace, total peace and nothing but peace, and even if we have to fight the bloodiest battle, we are going to get it." But I guess you think it sounds more profound when it's written in Latin.
    I'm sorry... Did you just call me a Nazi?

That just too rich...

Yes Adolf Hitler said something similar to my sig... However the person who formed the idea lived almost 1500 years before Hitler...
    It has also been used by people like Plato and Napoleon Bonaparte...

The best part is that I support individual rights to own fireaems, while Hitler did not. So please don't compare me to him.

But there are many translations and variations of the quote... So I'll go ahead and provide a link so that you may better understand the philosophy behind it.

Si vis pacem, para bellum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Did you also know that Hitler also used other symbols as his own? Like the Swastika?
    The Swastika was a symbol of good fortune and well being until Hitler claimed it as his own...

Swastika - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So I guess what I'm trying to say is this...

Before you open your undeucated mouth and call someone a Nazi make sure you fully understand what your arguement will be... And make sure you learn and understand the context of latin philosophy.

banned
    Apr 2009
    I say this particular incidence is more related to Readings soaring poverty...
    Well, Reading aint as bad as Camden, NJ.. Or some areas in Detroit...--And in Reading Turkey Hill and McDonals are Always hiring. When you are a teenager (that is your time in life to take 3 buses and a train to and from work) But these cats wanted to be Gangster (and got shot)---

Actually this story should be getting Alot more publicity than it is---Use it as a teaching tool (in schools)---

mtbr member
    Juv. probation officer cant take other 2 into custody because they are not on probation. Actually could only tell them to leave because they were truant from a neighboring suburban school...not Reading SD. He left and they knew it from monitoring device but JPO has many others on caseload so cant sit around and watch one all day...was coming back when parents were home. Also...they did not want his bike. They were kicking him on the ground and had him backed up to a fence on the ground...bikeless...but armed. 3rd victim of the day. I guess he saved victim #4,5,6 etc.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I'm sorry... Did you just call me a Nazi?

That just too rich...

Yes Adolf Hitler said something similar to my sig... However the person who formed the idea lived almost 1500 years before Hitler...
    It has also been used by people like Plato and Napoleon Bonaparte...

The best part is that I support individual rights to own fireaems, while Hitler did not. So please don't compare me to him.

But there are many translations and variations of the quote... So I'll go ahead and provide a link so that you may better understand the philosophy behind it.

Si vis pacem, para bellum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Did you also know that Hitler also used other symbols as his own? Like the Swastika?
    The Swastika was a symbol of good fortune and well being until Hitler claimed it as his own...

Swastika - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So I guess what I'm trying to say is this...

Before you open your undeucated mouth and call someone a Nazi make sure you fully understand what your arguement will be... And make sure you learn and understand the context of latin philosophy.

I'm not terribly versed in Hitler lore, but I do have a good poser-detector.

I'm sorry, I think that your small mind probably struggled with my post. If only you had a very small fraction of Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus or Plato's wit My intention was not to insinuate that you are a Neo Hitler fan-boy...absolutely not!!!!!! It was only to point out that people like yourselves love to adopt cute, trite phrases to serve a purpose and to sound smart, and if it's Latin, then that's all the better. Then, sometimes you find that you're in not so good company. BTW, thanks for the neg rep!

Nickel Havr
    It was only to point out that people like yourselves love to adopt cute, trite phrases to serve a purpose and to sound smart, and if it's Latin, then that's all the better. Then, sometimes you find that you're in not so good company. BTW, thanks for the neg rep!
    You're welcome! At least you had the balls to sign your neg rep...
    I thought you Ivy Leauge boys didn't have any....

I love how you feel that your Ivy Leauge education somehow makes you better than me...

How are you so sure that I'm not as educated?

Oh yeah... Since you have no "rep" you can't give neg rep! Just neutral rep...
    Guess they didn't teach you that in Prep School huh?

Nickel Havr
    Quote Originally Posted by 247 View Post
    Well, Reading aint as bad as Camden, NJ.. Or some areas in Detroit...--And in Reading Turkey Hill and McDonals are Always hiring. When you are a teenager (that is your time in life to take 3 buses and a train to and from work) But these cats wanted to be Gangster (and got shot)---

Actually this story should be getting Alot more publicity than it is---Use it as a teaching tool (in schools)---
    Just had to add this...

Reading is currently rated as having higher poverty rates in the country.
    More than Detroit...

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/27/us...pagewanted=all

Reading, PA is America's most poverty stricken city | ksdk.com

Census: Reading, Pa., Has Highest Poverty Rate : NPR

Nickel Havr
    people like yourselves love to adopt cute, trite phrases to serve a purpose and to sound smart
    Yes... We do.

My new sig is quoted from the neg rep you left me...

Now how smart does that sound Mr. Hoitey Toitey?

banned
    Apr 2009
    Reading is currently rated as having higher poverty rates in the country.
    More than Detroit...
    Oh I know Reading is Bad. Me and my buddy use to go there and hit some 'spots' in an around 5th street.

Well, Me, I was 'born and raised in Philly' and for myself (if things were ever that bad) I would have just sold some drugs. Beating people up and robbing them takes a 'level of violence you must posess'.. And those folks usually end up getting shot (sooner or later)--- But that's just me-----

mtbr member
    Originally Posted by paroxnstuff
    I'm a graduate of an Ivy League University. You live in Reading.
    Yikes, that's not cool. And what does college have to do with anything? I haven't graduated from any college and I'm doing ok for myself and my family. And people are allowed to live where they choose to. Although, after watching this (Pliny the Younger and Annadel - YouTube) I wouldn't mind moving to Cali.
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    And what does college have to do with anything?
    Absolutely nothing, except this:

Quote Originally Posted by Eckstream1
    Before you open your undeucated [sic] mouth....
    Ordinarily, signed reps and PM's are considered just that, private. But then again, I wouldn't expect much tact from Eckstream.

Quote Originally Posted by eckstream1
    Oh yeah... Since you have no "rep" you can't give neg rep! Just neutral rep...
    No shit Sherlock, I'll be loosing sleep over this.

Nickel Havr
    Ordinarily, signed reps and PM's are considered just that, private. But then again, I wouldn't expect much tact from Eckstream.
    Ooh... You found a mistake I made! While spelled incorrectly, all of the proper letters were there.

Maybe I'm dislexic... Going to make fun of that too? I mean you already insinuated that I am a Nazi and uneducated because I live in a poor and violent town. Why not go for the gold there buddy?

You done beating your chest? Or do I need to give you another banana?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Ooh... You found a mistake I made! While spelled incorrectly, all of the proper letters were there.

Maybe I'm dislexic... Going to make fun of that too? I mean you already insinuated that I am a Nazi and uneducated because I live in a poor and violent town. Why not go for the gold there buddy?

You done beating your chest? Or do I need to give you another banana?

Wow, give you a little nudge and you make this the thread that just keeps giving. Thanks for the laughs, big boy.

mtbr member
    Enough already! Is this an"Education Forum"? Parox it's starting to looks like your only here to cause trouble. Let's get down to the things that really matter. What kind of bike(s) do you ride? Are you fast? Where do you ride on a daily basis? I never went to college, but I bet my bike is better than your bike! This is the kind of smack talk that belongs here! Everyone take the personal attacks somewhere else! Moon this is all your fault! Haha...
    ahh...the sound of my hub when I coast.

Members who have read this thread: 0