Raystown Question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Raystown Question

Heading out for the first time this Saturday. Planning to take the Surly 1x1 which currently has flat 15-degree sweep bars on it. If Raystown is truly like a pumptrack i may want to throw some risers on it. Is there actually good areas to catch some air where I will benefit from risers?
    Cannondale Caffeine 2 29er
    Redline Monocog Flight 29er
    Fuji RC Team
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Blk Mrkt Mob

Road Bike Review Member
    PLENTY of air time there.............
    The place is a ton of fun and perfect for a ss.
    Bike fleet: Scalpel/Habit SE/Synapse Hi Mod/SWorks Tarmac/TJ CX/Trek Speed Concept 9 series/Ridley Noah

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Yea It's a 31 mile pump track. I wouldn't say there is "plenty" of air there...The way they built the rollers and whoopti-doo's is kinda to slow you down, not to jump em. Don't get me wrong, you can get some air but nothing sick! I guess it's all what you consider :"air". A Single Speed will be perfect there! You will have a blast!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    You dont need a real racey bike there. Probably better with a riser bar to sit you back a bit on the rollers. It has lot of flow and none of the climbs are rocky or technical single speed will be great. Make sure your brakes are working good. It's super fast!!! Go down Rays Revenge from Ridge Trail. Ride Hydo Loop counter clock wise, it s good both ways but that's my preferance. Take lots of water, there is really no place to refill unless you go down into the campgrounds. then you have to climb all the way back up to the trails. The hardest climbs there are on pavement to get to the trails from the campgrounds. Dude I'm getting excited just thinking about riding that place!!

mtbr member
    Thanks much, that's what I needed. Plan to put in a bunch of miles there tomorrow.
    Fuji RC Team
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Blk Mrkt Mob

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    It seems anyone I talk to that the Hydro loop is everyone's favorite. Raystown is perfect for SS. Going down the Osprey you can get lots of air but becareful! When you bomb down the Osprey trail you will be right at the Hydro loop. I love Raystown, best place I ridden.

mtbr member
    Did a quick search and was unable to find a trail map. (other than the lake)
    anyone know where to get a trail map? Im thinking of heading out there tue/Wed.
    "foot to pedal, wheel to dirt, there is no substitute for the act of riding "

What bruise?

mtbr member
    Great..Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I highly recommend you get the nice water resistant map from Rothrock Outfitters downtown there.

418 Penn Street Huntingdon, Pa. 16652
    Phone: 814-643-7226

mtbr member
    This place sounds like a lot of fun. Might be taking a trip down there this coming week. Any cheap places nearby to stay the night....also besides the bike is it worth it to take the kayak along for the ride...Im coming from wilkes barre....

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I was just there last week end for the first time stayed at white trail ridge inn right off 22. It is a mom an pop place only has 10 rooms, it was clean and 55.00 a night, cheap so you get what you pay for only needed a room for one night. There is a comfort inn right off 22 also looks much nicer and has a indoor pool.Can not comment on the kayak as I do not have one there is a bike shop in town callled rothrock outfitters they would help you there and if you stop by there shop pick up a map of the trails at raystown it is worth the 6.50 for the map very detailed on different routes I was so impressed with the place I made reservations to go back in 2 weeks. www.rothrock-outfitters.com or 814-643-7226

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info, probably taking the long drive out there this week. Any other places nearby or should I spend all my time there checking out all the loops and what not. I like all kinds of terrain, rocky, technical, flowy, whatever.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I've gone up from MD the past 2 weekends to ride there...its awesome. Lots of speed and plenty of chances to get air if you want. You can kill a lot of time there for sure.

mtbr member
    We stayed in the Army Corps of Engineers campground, one of the trailheads is in the park. It was a nice place to stay, try to get a campsite on the water. Either way, take the kayak. We took a canoe and did some fishing in the evening, didn't catch much, but fun nonetheless.
    Fuji RC Team
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Blk Mrkt Mob

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Shawn333 your not going to find techinal here just flow and cool rollers again get a trail map so you can follow the routes that they have listed for the best direction not that going your own way is wrong or a bad idea.

mtbr member
    Riding the trails this morning ...what trailhead should I start from.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn333 View Post
    Riding the trails this morning ...what trailhead should I start from.
    there are 2 main trailhead/parking lots. it you want to do the eastern loops (recommended), there is a parking lot right off of bakers hollow road (beside the entrance for susquehannock campground).

the other is off of seven points road (if you want to do the western loops)..of course you can get to these from the bakers hollow parking lot too, just take stony trail over.

have fun!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    heading out there in a couple weeks. we are staying at the raystown lake resort and if I am looking at the map correctly it is a bit of a haul to get to the trail head... or is there a trail that will lead me from closer to the camp ground?
    I am bringing my Fargo and don't mind the road miles but would rather do them in the dirt.

VMB
    rallyrcr, just got back from staying at the resort last week. The resort is at the southern end of the lake and the trails are at the north end, you'll definitely need to drive to the trailhead which is about 15 or 20 minutes by car from the resort. If you want to be right where the riding is, seven points is the place to be. Have fun and be prepared for perma grin!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    the resort has plug-in for the camper and the trailer that our friends are taking. not sure how much mountain biking they've done but they are looking forward to it. we'll be out sometime saturday I think. I will be on a green Fargo and my kid on a grey/black trek. not sure about the others.
    can not wait... loading the camper now!!!!

mtbr member

Another Weekend

Just got back from another weekend of riding at Raystown. It simply doesnt get any better. The weather was great, trails dry. Also visited the "visitor center" for the first time
    great place. Already making plans for an end of Sept trip.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    didn't get a chance to ride as much I'd hoped to. definitely heading back out there in the next few weeks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by square View Post
    there are 2 main trailhead/parking lots. it you want to do the eastern loops (recommended), there is a parking lot right off of bakers hollow road (beside the entrance for susquehannock campground).

the other is off of seven points road (if you want to do the western loops)..of course you can get to these from the bakers hollow parking lot too, just take stony trail over.

have fun!
    how do the western trails compair to the eastern? I've done mostly everything on the east side. all fantastic. Rays revenge & hydro loop are my fav. Even osprey is cool.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Wink Red Legs on Red Legs...

... hit Ray's on the way home from the race at Big Bear WV...

... just needed a s88t eat'in grin to bring home!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Raystown Question-copy-sany0060.jpg