mtbr member

Raystown (not for Dirtfest)...advise?

Never been...only live a few hours away. I want to plan an overnight trip...camp and ride. Any suggestions on the best place to tent camp...prefer someplace that has electric hookup if possible. Also...is there stuff in the area for family...like if we brought the wives and kids...would they have stuff to do while we were out on the trails?
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    I've camped at Seven Points Campground several times throughout the Summer. The sites are spacious, clean, and offer electric hookups. It is a Federal campground, and at $27/night, I'd consider the cost VERY reasonable. There are a few tent sites available at the campground, but we camped in a 'camper' site regardless.

There is a large boat marina and swimming (lake) available. There are multiple playgrounds, an ampitheatre, and a large visitor's center also within the campground.

Perhaps someone else can chime in, as we never camped there when our children were small.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Cool. That sounds good. I'll check it out.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    Cool. That sounds good. I'll check it out.
    Oh, and I should have mentioned, Seven Points Campground is, literally, located in the middle of the main trail system. The Skills Park is also located within Seven Points Campground.

You definitely owe it to yourself to check out the Raystown/Allegrippis Trails. I noticed you ride Davis; Raystown is pretty much the polar opposite of trails like Plantation and the Moon Rocks. In a good way.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Coal-Cracker; 05-12-2018 at 06:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Another nice thing about Seven Points is they have showers. This might not be important but if you forget something there is a Walmart 20 mins away in Huntington, came handy to me when I needed a air mattress.
    2018 Canyon Spectral
    2016 Ibis Ripley OG
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    We stayed 15min west up at the Marina in a cabin (wife not a camper) several times.Had a really nice weekend .Breakfast on the deck overlooking the lake one morning,..another morning ..breakfast while on a boat ride.Raystown trails are super fun for us,flowy,fast and some of the trails are kid friendly IMO. Good pizza place and pub with good eats up in Huntington as well

2 wheel drifter
    I hit the trails with my son when he was four (he was on a FS trail-a-bike). We rode everything on both sides in two rides. It's really pretty mellow and smooth if they are up for riding. If not, there is a waterpark at the Raystown lake resort, about 20 min away. The Corp of Engineers visitor center at the lake is also awesome for kids with some great nature exhibits.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal-Cracker View Post
    Oh, and I should have mentioned, Seven Points Campground is, literally, located in the middle of the main trail system. The Skills Park is also located within Seven Points Campground.

make sure you book *well* in advance. The waterfront sites are probably already all sold out for the summer. Definitely don't count on just making a reservation on Wednesday and showing up Friday (that's how I usually camp, it doesn't work there)

It's fun riding for a day or day and a half. If you're used to real mountain biking like what's around Davis, I think you'll get bored of Raystown pretty quick. Or I'm just old and grumpy and fed up with beginner... I mean "flow" trails. There's nothing at Raystown a 8 year-old would struggle with; it's that easy.