Raystown Lake trails info- Mtbr.com
    featherweight clydesdale

Raystown Lake trails info

My wife and I are headed to Raystown from Central VA. Kids are at the grandparents and we said "road trip". I wanted something fun, but not techincally difficult, and the reports on the Raystown Lake trails all say fast and flowy. So this trip is for fun and to "research" to see if some form of trail design can be learned that will be applied locally.

Questions:

1) 40% chance of rain Sat., do they close the trails for damp or wet conditions? Would the hold up okay 2 hours after a T-storm (I wouldn't head out right away)?

2) Is it Raystown or Allegrippis?

3) Looking at the Byran B&B right near the park entrance, feedback??

4) Good places to eat??

Thanks!
    Last edited by Fattirewilly; 08-05-2009 at 05:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Also headed there Frinight. What's the elevation change/any big climbs?
    Hubbard Bike Club

featherweight clydesdale
    Haven't been there yet. I think the elevation change is 400' bottom to top. I would not expect any steep climbs, you've got the rest of PA for that... I've seen the whole trail system described as a 30+ mile pump track. Fast, flowy, and not a single straight section. The difficulty comes with cornering and speed.

My wife is adverse to truly technical trails, so this looked like a great weekend trip.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I was there for the opening weekend and the trails there are too much fun. I was there with a group that ranged from rigid singlespeeders to freeride folk and everyone loved the trails. They are a good change from the rocky, tough stuff (go to michaux or rothrock for that). Really fast, lots of swooping turns and small air throughout. Basically just ride as fast as your heart will let you.

Nov 2004

Raystown/Allegrippis

Technically it's the Allegrippis Trails at Raystown Lake. More people tend to call the trails Raystown, maybe b/c (like me) they can't say "Allegrippis".

It rained quite a bit in the lead up to the opening weekend and the trails were amazingly dry. It's impressive how well properly built trails shed water.

I don't know about restaurants, the area around the lake near where we camped was really sparse/rural.

We SS'ed the 2 days opening weekend. There's no big climbs, perfect for a SS. On the contrary, you're hard pressed to call most of the trail sections "uphill" or "downhill". Many of the trails traverse slopes. Just as soon as you're sick of climbing it dips down. Biggest technical hurdle is the many large berms. Ride 'em wrong and you'll be doing a nose-wheelie. Ride 'em right and you'll spend a fair bit of time airborne. Great trails.

my church is the woods
    4) Boxer's Cafe in Huntingdon for Food and cold beverages! They are big supporters of the Allegrippis Trails and mtn bikers
    Boxer’s Cafe
    410 Penn Street
    Huntingdon
    814-643-5013

HopHeads, Unite!
    There's a killer coffee shop in town, too.

Don't be fooled, there's climbing at Raystown--just not much long, drawn-out, continuous climbing--but you'll know you've done some elevation changing.
    People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    My wife and I are planning a road trip on Monday. We were going to go to Kingdom Trails, VT, but it's going to be raining there and I don't feel like driving 9 hours only to get rained out. My wife is kind of adverse to too techy stuff and likes buff rollercoaster like singletrack. Allegripis sounds like the perfect place and it's only 3.5 hours from home. Can someone recommend a place to stay that's near the trails, but also near food and drink? Maybe in Huntingdon? Is anyone goign to be there riding Monday through Friday next week that might want to meet up for some rides?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Rothrock-outfitters.com
    They are the local shop and home to the Raystown Mountain Bike Association. Evan will give you the skinny as far as what you need to know.
    Heads up info:
    Hesston is a dry town, hit the beer distro on 22 in Huntingdon before heading to the lake if you don;t plan on coming back into town.
    Boxers is an awesome pub cheap micros on draft and veg options. They are also co-owners of rothrock outfitters so support the locals who support the trails.
    there are a bunch of housing options, go to Raystown.org for the skinny. It is the height of boat season so options are probably a bit limited at this point.
    The trails should be pretty solid, we have not gotten the rain quite as bad as you have gotten in the eastern part of the state. And we got to play with cool toys to build them.
    As far as hooking up with people to ride, there are always a ton of people out there, but the trails never get crowded. The best option on routes is to go right until you want to go left. Yes, for most of it, counter clockwise is the route. the only trail that I think works differently is Rays Revenge, and there is still a way to route that clockwise (it will make sense when you look at the map.)
    Seriously, you won't be disappointed.

featherweight clydesdale
    Thanks for the info everyone! We had a great time, and just want to say you have a really sweet trail system there at Raystown.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Fattirewilly
    Thanks for the info everyone! We had a great time, and just want to say you have a really sweet trail system there at Raystown.
    May I ask where you stayed ? Would you stay there again ? I'm headed there in Sept.for the first time, and any insider info. (other than what I have already read in the forum here)would be much appreciated !

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    recent TR from a couple weeks back. to answer one question shortly would be that rain will not affect your ride much at all. You could ride here during a tropical storm and still not damage the trails.

first let me state that Raystown is not at all technical you could take a first time here and they will have fun. At the same time though there is no place else you can cruise at 15 to 25 mph on singletrack in western Pa for 40 miles of riding. This why its fun if your a good rider. Its the anti Pa riding in many ways. The trails are like a pumps track/easy 4x track for every minute of riding here. There is some stiff climbs but you feel like you actually descend more than you go up. Its an all downhill trail!! In some of the shorter uphills you can actually pump your way up with out pedaling. then just keep pumping on the back side.

here is a map

the route we rode was Stony Trail/Buck/Sleek Dog/Eagle/Hydro Loop/Osprey/Sidewinder/South side of Ray Revenge/Berry Patch/Loc a Motion/ west on Red Legs/East on Alliegrippis/Rays Revenge/Berry Patch/Loc a Motion/North on Redlegs Trails/West on Alliegrippis/Buck/Stony Trail/Car

We did not ride anything south of 7 points road nor did we ride fawn/switchback/ and large sections of osprey and Berry Patch. I can say though that what we rode flowed very well and you never felt like you were fighting the trail. Most of the trails felt as if they would ride just as well the other way.

The trail head

Techiest section there is near the start of Stony Trail, its not really techy at all though

The endless flow though pine trees on Osprey. There are some quite good views of the lake as well. didnt get any of those more on that later.

me enjoying the grip and wide openness

The trails is wide open buff twisty and flowly Its like heaven really

Kent railing it

Its then proceeds to pour on us, we kept riding. the trails only got better. they were to dry. The heavy 30 min downpour made the trails tacky bet still kept the trail quite hard. This place could be ridden in a heavy rain storm with out damaging the trail.

the trail literally dried out in 30 minutes

there are tons of these along Berry Patch and Ray Revenge yummmmm

cautions dips = lots of fun

Kent on Allie

Me on the pump track like section on Alliegrippis, this section starts and end way out of sight ofthe camera and there are 100s of sections like this along the entire trail.

get yourself here. These are some of the best flowly XC trails in the nation. you could ride here a couple days and not get bored.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Raystown Lakes - Lodging Update

We just got into town...we're staying at the Comfort Inn in Huntingdon. Don't stay here! The hotel itself is fine...no great shakes, but it clean and relatively close to the trails (about 20 minutes), but Huntingdon is not happening at all! Boxer's Pub is supposed to be good (and it's walking distance from the Comfort Inn), but it's closed all week. There is almost nothing else in this town. There is a pizza place, a couple of dive bars, a McDonalds and a Burger King and that's about it. I'd recommend camping or renting a house boat or cabin at Raystown Lakes, or consider staying in State College and taking the 45 minute drive.

I'll report on the trails tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Yes...if you are looking to do something other than riding and don't want to camp, State College it is. Soon you may want to check the football schedule, as finding a place to stay will be harder when there is a home game.

I know I will get slammed for this, but am I the only one who finds the 'dips' a little repetitive? Sure, some sections are fun, but it seems like the same rollers, over and over...and over. It was described by a guy at The Bike Shop in State College as 'a big pump track', and that is exactly what the northern half is. Maybe over time it will smooth out a bit.
    Not saying it wasn't fun, or that it isn't fantastic to have these new trails to ride, it just wasn't quite expecting that.
    Also, as mentioned, it dries out so quick. There was alot of loose over hardpack, so pick your treads accordingly. The fast rolling tires may get sketchy.

I found the trails labeled 'intermediate' the most fun, with the best flow.

I preferred the south section, more technical...seems like all of the rocks were removed from the north and deposited on the south section.

featherweight clydesdale
    Quote Originally Posted by 73cuda
    May I ask where you stayed ? Would you stay there again ? I'm headed there in Sept.for the first time, and any insider info. (other than what I have already read in the forum here)would be much appreciated !
    Bryan House B &B was nice and clean, but not as close to the trail head or Hesston as I had thought (my bad, not looking close enough). It was about 10 minutes south which put us 20 minutes from Huntingdon. We also lacked a shower in our "room" but we basically had a whole house for $75 a night, so no complaints. Other rooms there have their own bathrooms.

There was also a B&B directly in Huntingdon, near the bike shop (don't remember the name). We ate at Boxers, would be a bummer if it was closed weekdays as mentioned. We noted several other small bars/pubs in Huntingdon, but did not explore them. There is very little outside of Huntingdon or the immediate lake area.

We noticed Del Lena Inn Bed and Breakfast and liked the "location" about halfway between the trail head and Huntingdon.

There's tons of camp spots, if you're not looking for that "weekend getaway".

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

other place's to eat

Mim's is a great place to eat as well in Huntingdon. It's a little more upscale than other places in town. Probably don't want to show up there right after a ride with muddy, sweaty clothes. Try the BBQ Shrimp wrapped in bacon as an appetizer.
    Mimi's
    312 Penn St
    Huntingdon, PA 16652
    (814) 643-7200

Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
    Where is the best place to pick up some maps for the trails?

I will be @ Raystown from Thursday to Sunday next week for a bachelor party and would love to escape to hit the trails.
    Maverick Durance Ano-DUC32/C KING/XTR
    Mav ML8 Ano-DUC32/X0
    Mav ML8-DUC32/I9/XTR
    09 Spec. Demo-Totem-Ti DHX
    Norco Team DH

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    just go here n print as many as you want
    http://raystown.nab.usace.army.mil/A...T_TrailMap.pdf

Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
    Great, thanks!
    Mav ML8 Ano-DUC32/X0
    Mav ML8-DUC32/I9/XTR
    Norco Team DH

mtbr member

My report on Allegrippis.

We started out at the Seven Points parking lot. The next time I would go to the Bakers Hollow road parking lot for the starting point. (that is if you want to do the entire outer loop ).
    Dark Hollow trail was a great taste of whats to come, fast, smooth and lots of smiles. Shade Trail to Dirt Surfer and then Allegheny,, ALL of them very fast and smooth,, the little bit of uphill was a breeze with the pump bumps in between. Allegheny Trail was a nice , more XC style trail, still very smooth. We did Dirt Surfers again, cause its fun, and boy , doing a trail a second time , and knowing the lay of the land opens up a whole new experience. Barrel Bay Trail brought us back to Dark Hollow and to the Seven Points Parking lot, we refilled with H20 and back out to Stony Trail. Its a nice long trail, once again, smooth and filled with pumpbumps. Entering the Bakers Hollow Road parking area we noticed the lot was much bigger and more bikers seemed to make their start there (now we know why).. Off to Buck Trail, to Allie, Grippis and Ridge Trail. I kind of laughed at the Beware of Bumps signs,, they were out of place once you've ridden so much of the system already. There was a nice trail map at the intersection of Rays Revenge and Ridge Trail. I hope they will be put up elsewhere on the loop. Rays Revenge was VERY fast and smooth.. you really have to watch you speed on some of the approaches, the alternative isn't good, I had a few glimpses of the steep drops right off the trail. We took Sidewinder to the bottom, and it was alittle wet at the bottom, but the wet spots were armored well. We took Osprey trail to the Hydro Loop. That loop will be a kick in the Fall when the leaves are off,, I can't imagine the view to the lake without the leaves. Eagle Trail was smooth too, its funny how the dirt changes from location to location , all smooth , but different characteristics, loamy, hardpack, reddirt, marbles, etc... Sleek Dog seemed to be an older style trail,, not as much pumpbumps, and depending on the route of travel, you climb more (the way we went). We ended at Doe back to the Hollow Road parking lot., then to Stony Trail.... and done.

Word of caution: , it may be smooth, but you have to be on your guard, speed will build fast. Park at the Bakers Hollow parking area, it gives you more options on loops with out being totally tanked by the end of the day and Bring plenty of H20. IT seems that this system really works you and forces you to push yourself more than a usual xc ride. Bring Plenty of H20... Yes I said that plenty of times. That said, I give this trial system a great it is worth the trip and sweat. BTW, I did this loop (32 miles) on the Pugs.
    2010 Surly, Curry "Pugs"
    Surly, Gray "Pugs" R.I.P.
    2010 HARO, Mary SS
    Kona "Deluxe" roadbike

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

My report on Allegrippis

For those of us who are headed to Raystown in the near future ..Thanks for the nice report 1stiski !! Will take your advice on the starting point

Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
    Yes, thanks 1stiski, I will keep your comments in mind tomorrow and the rest of the week that I am up there.

Odd business question- but does Raystown offer any free Wi-Fi access points?
    Mav ML8 Ano-DUC32/X0
    Mav ML8-DUC32/I9/XTR
    Norco Team DH

TheGoat

Address or Directions

I am trying to plan a trip down to The Raystown Lake Trails or the Allegrippis Trail System but I cannot seem to find a good address to put into the old GPS that will get me to or near the trail head. If anyone has a good address or coordinates it would be much appreciated. Thanks

The Goat

ol' dusty lungs
    yeah, you really do have to watch your speed going over those whoops. i ran into a group last weekend who had to get one of their buddies who had broken his collarbone back to the parking lot. from what i understand he lost control going over a set of doubles on berry and crashed pretty badly.

ol' dusty lungs
    ...oh, and not to mention the guy on youtube introducing his face to a tree

mtbr member
    I laughed my butt off watching that vid on youtube, then karma kicked in and I did pretty much the exact thing he did. No video for me though, just pain.
    Pugsley, Bullit

mtbr member
    goat try 40° 24' 24.03"N - 78° 04'19.35"W that's the eastern parking lot on bakers hollow road.
    Pugsley, Bullit

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I rode here for the first time on Monday. I rode all of black trails except the black out Seven Points parking area. I really could not tell the difference in diffculty between the red and black trails. I like rocky,techy trails and found myself getting bored after 2 hours but still enjoyed the ride. If you don't have any experience with berms ,I would recommend you lowering your seat a bit.

Overall I thought the trails were well built and not your typical lake trails. Maybe add some more difficult rails in the future. Great place to take your kids or inexperienced riders. Great for single speeds,since I rode on a 32t ring and only shifted the rear a few times.
    Last edited by Bigrocks; 08-20-2009 at 01:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    You should have rode the black trails. They offer most of the fastest and best parts of the trail system there. Not technically difficult, but you can certainly injure yourself if you don't check your speed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Camping

The raystown website offers a few suggestions for camping. But I was wondering if any MTBR's had any recommendations. I am looking for a place that has full baths with showers.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    My wife and I just camped at Raystown Lake. We stayed in one of the Corp of Engineers campgrounds at Seven Mile Road.

There were showers available, but only on one of the other campground loops. Our loop had bathhouses without showers. It wasn't a problem.

There is another campground closer to the trails. Susquehannock? It doesn't have showers either, but you can use the showers at the Seven Mile Road campground. We drove through there and the lack of facilities probably makes it a little more low key. The Allegripis trail system crosses the access road a couple of times.

Nice place, probably a zoo on weekends. Our campground had some guys trying to get their supercharged V8 boat running with a hose from the bath house, and that was on a Thursday.

Quote Originally Posted by Enzo149
    The raystown website offers a few suggestions for camping. But I was wondering if any MTBR's had any recommendations. I am looking for a place that has full baths with showers.

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Plus
    My wife and I just camped at Raystown Lake. We stayed in one of the Corp of Engineers campgrounds at Seven Mile Road.

There were showers available, but only on one of the other campground loops. Our loop had bathhouses without showers. It wasn't a problem.

There is another campground closer to the trails. Susquehannock? It doesn't have showers either, but you can use the showers at the Seven Mile Road campground. We drove through there and the lack of facilities probably makes it a little more low key. The Allegripis trail system crosses the access road a couple of times.

Nice place, probably a zoo on weekends. Our campground had some guys trying to get their supercharged V8 boat running with a hose from the bath house, and that was on a Thursday.
    Just stayed at Susquehannock over the weekend, cool place, yeah you got to drive from shower, or you can just jump in the lake.

You can ride to the trails if you dont mind the uphill road from the camp ground.

Members who have read this thread: 0