Raystown Lake- Mtbr.com

Thread: Raystown Lake

PMBA

Good job! Raystown Lake

All I can say about this past weekend at Raystown is WOW. I am still trying to recover. PMBA had a great turnout with over 20 riders amongst the more than 300 that showed up to ride the new trails. It was like a festival scene. Lots of cook outs and beer and people hanging out and riding. Oh and about those trails. Killer! So much fun to ride it should be illegal. The design work done by the folks at IMBA is very well represented here. We rode for almost 6 hours on Saturday and still did not hit all the trails (during the second 5 hour ride of the day we all witnessed one guy in our group experience the worst cramping we have ever seen). It's a bit far for a day trip from Philly, but if you are planning to spend a weekend trip, we now have another great mountainbiking destination right here in PA. Awesome. My hats off to the guys that made this happen. There definitely needs to be a festival there next year
    Keep crowded trails friendly. Go by slow and say "hello"
    Tom Coyle www.phillymtb.com

HopHeads, Unite!
    I concur. Great trails and a great time. Good to see you, btw.
    People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

mtbr member
    We're headed to Huntingdon this coming weekend to visit family and check these trails out. Are there trail maps available yet?

mtbr member

Awesome

The trails are great. They really did a great job on the trails. Almost like a pump track on steroids. I will be back.

HopHeads, Unite!
    Bwahahahaha!

That's good!

But, in this case, yes, there are. Should be some at the visitor center there or the trailhead.

And here.

http://raystown.nab.usace.army.mil/A...T_TrailMap.pdf
    People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Is it just me is there something wrong that a bunch of Michaux boys are the poster children for the place (Rich, Pete and Darius)?
    Thanks all for coming out.

mtbr member
    Anyone take pictures? BTW great map.
    2010 Surly, Curry "Pugs"
    Surly, Gray "Pugs" R.I.P.
    2010 HARO, Mary SS
    Kona "Deluxe" roadbike

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Pictures

Quote Originally Posted by 1stiski
    Anyone take pictures? BTW great map.
    Here's some

One of the "technical" sections

Caution Dips

Yamba pres on the singlespeed

Advocacy meeting

Piney section

Double berms

"Being smart and fit is expensive, but not as expensive as being fat and dumb" - 9.8m/s/s

PMBA
    Here is a message from Evan, one of the organizers and trail builders::

I dont have nearly enough emails down to write this but need to get it out, so if you know folks who where there send it along:

Thanks To All the clubs and individuals who came out this weekend, we didn't have hardly any problems to speak of, everyone was great. The organization could have been better with the concessions and such all the way down at the Visitors Center, but keep in mind they also wanted the community at large to feel welcome and thus did not have that area in the actual campground. The entire camping event was a co-promotion between RMBA and Rothrock Outfitters, our local shop (www.rothrock-outfitters.com.) Between the grand opening and the camping event I personally had alot going on and apoligize I couldn't have ridden with every club....but I'm sure you understand. The pictures I have seen are great and the videos are even better, but they are all over the web....if you send you pictures to me I will post them on our BLOG for all to see (at above address.)

There is already talk of a event in the fall (race) and a yearly meeting of the clubs at the Meadows Campground, to sort of get the season going on a easy relaxing note. Next year we hope to have some features built and the trails even more tuned!

Thanks again for making this event and making it a huge success, hope to see you next year, and check out our site for details!
    Also, if you have pics send them we'd love to show the park service how much fun you had!

Evan Gross
    Rothrock Outfitters/ RMBA
    418 Penn St. Huntingdon Pa
    Ph/Fx 814 643 7226
    www.rothrock-outfitters.com
    "Allegrippis Trail HQ"

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I managed to get a couple trails in last night before sunset, and I am going back today. Great trails!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Oh so many berms and fast turns to carve through, its just too much fun out there.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I am planning to go there May 22 with a few friends. We are pretty experienced with riding intermediate to advanced trails (rothrock, wissahickon, etc...) but I'd appreciate some recommendations on what trails to ride and a good order to ride them in.

It will be about an hour drive for use to get there and I want to plan the riding so that we can go for most of the day without getting too worn out early on. Suggestions?

From the pics and stories I've seen I am so psyched to go there...I've been having dreams about it!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I have run Barrel Bay, Sleek Dog, Switch, Eagle, Osprey, and Hydro. All great trails, but I suggest doing the Sleek Dog - Eagle - Hydro -Osprey loop.
    Have no clue how long it is, but it should keep you out there for a few hours.

PMBA
    That is a great loop. Also try to hit switch on the down. Sick fast down hill with fast in-sloped turns. Good times.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thanks for the trail suggestions! I think we will ride the sleek dog to hydro as you suggested, but, in which direction does switch trail run downhill--I can't tell by looking at the map.

Anyone want to join us this Friday?

my church is the woods
    When you go in Buck, take the first right on Doe, and just keep making rights - 5 of them, and you'll hit all the stuff in a downward flow till you reach hydro where you can loop around to make your way back on rays revenge. This was mnwFrank's advice to me and it made for a fantastic ride.

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    agreed with moonraker, take hydro counterclockwise too. if your not up for all of Rays revenge on the way back, take a left on it up to berry patch and finish with Ridge, Grippis, Allie, and back on Buck. most excellent loop

mtbr member
    Hey there Im from Burlington, Ontario and want to come down beginning of july to ride some trails in Pennsylvania Ive never been but hear the trails are great(last year we did a 2 days in kingdom trails in east burke vermont and also 1.5 days in stowe/waterbury area trails) we want to do a similar trip we have 5 days off july 1st to july 5th I was wondering if its possible to do 2.5 days in the raystown trails and then drive to jim thorpe trails and do a day and a half there is it worth it to go to the jim thorpe trails? which ones are would be worth more time at? according to mapquest raystown trails are 6hours from us and Jim Thorpe area is 7hours from us.
    we are intermediate to advanced mountain bikers with excellent fitness, last year we did 120kms of mtn biking in 3.5 days so we are looking at something similiar to that.

also just as side note and good DH biking in either of these areas close by or in PA in general? we also have DH bikes just curious maybe another trip ......

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by tammie
    Hey there Im from Burlington, Ontario and want to come down beginning of july to ride some trails in Pennsylvania Ive never been but hear the trails are great(last year we did a 2 days in kingdom trails in east burke vermont and also 1.5 days in stowe/waterbury area trails) we want to do a similar trip we have 5 days off july 1st to july 5th I was wondering if its possible to do 2.5 days in the raystown trails and then drive to jim thorpe trails and do a day and a half there is it worth it to go to the jim thorpe trails? which ones are would be worth more time at? according to mapquest raystown trails are 6hours from us and Jim Thorpe area is 7hours from us.
    we are intermediate to advanced mountain bikers with excellent fitness, last year we did 120kms of mtn biking in 3.5 days so we are looking at something similiar to that.

also just as side note and good DH biking in either of these areas close by or in PA in general? we also have DH bikes just curious maybe another trip ......
    Check out Moon Lake county park near Wilkes Barre, Pa 20 plus miles of smiles on epic trails, and skills/trials areas. Camping should be open by then!

http://www.nepmtba.piczo.com

or

http://ridingthemoon.blogspot.com

We do a group ride every Wednesday night 6PM

Shoot me an email if you decide to hit the moon, closer than JT or Raystown, but not trying to sway your decision just throwing it out there!

[email protected]

Hope you enjoy wherever you go!

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    I would say that 2.5 days at raystown, if all you are gonna do is ride is overkill. I would say take a full day and do everything north of seven points road and then a half day and do the loop south of seven points. As far as Thorpe goes, I know theres tons of good riding there but most of it is "not on the map" and unless you find a local to drag ya around, its probably not gonna be the best use of your riding time. Another option is to hit the stuff here around state college, 40-60 minutes north of Raystown, camping at Greenwood Furnace state park (assuming our state does not close the park due to budget reasons.) There is easily 2.5 days of riding here, we can hook you up with maps, ride descriptions, and depending on the day, possibly a local to help ya around.
    As far as good DH, you could head over to 7 springs ski area, they do lift serve there but theres not alot else in the way of true DH around here.

guy in the woods
    DIRTF*ST is coming.......

ARE YOU?

guy in the woods
    Quote Originally Posted by lust4singletrack
    have another great mountainbiking destination right here in PA. Awesome. My hats off to the guys that made this happen. There definitely needs to be a festival there next year
    DIRTF*ST IS COMING

ARE YOU?

Members who have read this thread: 0