Rattling creek first timer- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2017

Rattling creek first timer

I am going to do the rattling creek epic on Sunday. I have never been there before. Does anybody have any advice on how to navigate or which way to ride it?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I think you will find some info in here:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/pennsylvania/...ek-975915.html

I've never been either. It's on my bucket list. Let me know how it goes!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    My wife and I rode it last October and it was allot of fun! I would suggest getting a map from the inet or take a picture at the trail head. Some things were a little confusing but we made the best of it and got back safely. We hope to go back someday and ride it again. Sorry I can't be more specific on the details or maps but a search should get you the info you need. Have fun and ride safe!

mtbr member
    It's a pretty cool place to ride, I've only ever did the mass course for endurance but it's a neat place.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Rattling creek is a great long ride if you do the whole loop. Very easy to navigate. Both times I have been we went clockwise. That nets you the funniest parts in the downhill direction. Once you hit the main trail you can just follow it the whole way around. Well signed if I remember correctly.

It is a great ride! Have fun.

mtbr member
    I rode the Epic route (almost) for the first time a few weeks ago. One of the best rides I've done in a while. As far as 'Epics' go, it's pretty easy. I rode clockwise, which seemed like the better way based on not really feeling like I was missing any fun descents while climbing.

Trails were mostly well-marked at least with their names (the only exception being Hopback, the first trail out of the parking lot, didn't have a sign at the start from what I saw/remember). The Epic route does require some navigation and I wouldn't say is obvious. I used the MTBproject app, downloaded the route and used that for navigation - basically stopping and looking at the map whenever I got to an intersection. I did not get lost or off-route at all.

One thing that really struck me was the lack of people. In 22 miles I saw 2 riders on trail (and that was 17 miles in, not having seen a soul for nearly 3 hours), and one other in the parking lot. Other than that completely alone. That just does not happen anymore where I'm from. Enjoyable, but be aware you may be on your own out there. (not trying to scare you, there are roads crossing the route somewhat frequently)

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    (not trying to scare you, there are roads crossing the route somewhat frequently)
    but just fireroads... as Joules said this place is pretty out there. definitely don't expect to find a road to bail down to get to a store or anything... if you go on a weekday there is a good chance you'll be sharing the whole place with 5-6 people. there are some fun shorter loops from the same main parking lot. if you are unsure ride one of those first then you'll know what your in for.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I've ridden there three times this year. Very quiet. Far enough away from man made noise. There are what appear to be trails that are not on the map blazed in white and or red. Something to discover.

The snowmobile loop has a killer hill.

Chilling out
    I usually prefer to start from the eastern lot above Lykens, if I'm going for a Full Meal I'll ride Stone Cabin / Rugged as a warmup (it's across the road), then work a mostly clockwise direction (Hop Back to Doc Smith to Fawn Kill and around).

Take a snack / recovery break at the hang glider launch area, really nice view on a good day, then continue on Rocks Ridge.

This brings you over later in your ride to coming down Dry Run to Rattling Creek trail, back to Doc Smith, and you're done.

This overall route puts you on the most challenging rocks (Fawn Kill, Wolf Pond) earlier in the ride, and Rocks Ridge before you're completely burned, with a mostly downhill Rattling Creek trail that is just silly good in that direction.

If you find yourself tiring out you CAN work the park roads to get back to the start pretty easily, just don't make the mistake of going down the dirt road (White Oak?) on the west side (Elizabethville?). The Lykens Rd (gravel park road) runs E-W from the paved road above Lykens just by the eastern parking to an intersection without about 1/2 mile of the picnic area in the middle

The primary cut-out to me is to use the roads from up on west/top near Rocks Ridge to come down Sheffler Run Rd to Sheffler Trl, to Dry Run, back to Lykens Rd, back to parking. Much better than going all the way down to Minnich Hit picnic area IMO. If you look at the map it'll make sense.

If you're unsure of your "mileage bank" then doing roll the Rugged Trail / Stone Cabin loop first, save it for last.

Also, betware the Wolf Pond extension that goes from where it crosses Rocks Ridge and down the west side to connect with Iron Mine. Either way back up is significant work, rewarding but significant. I also don't know what kind of shape that piece is in, it was new-ish last year.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Thanks for all the advise. I went and rode the epic on Sunday morning it was fun but I was tired from all the rocks. I am glad there wasn't more climbing. I thought French Creek was rocky but Rattling Creek is on a whole new level.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    yeah more rocks; but more flow than FC? i dunno they are both fun in a totally different way for sure. I feel like rattling creek beats you up less? maybe because you never have any huge hills? definitely someplace you need to ride if you live anywhere close.

If your rock jedi skills are high; hit up coopers gap sometime. i don't give up often; but we cut this one short; our legs were already fried from hitting rattling creek the day prior... https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/396...opers-gap-epic

HAAARD! riding but fun. go with fresh legs; plan for longer than you think it could possibly take you I need to go back and knock it out sometime soon.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Rode Rattling Creek this week some areas have high brush, waist to head deep. Hard to see the trail. I think I'll save this place for late fall to late spring riding.