Question about the Wiss.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Question about the Wiss.

Can someone clear this up for me? Assuming the rider is coming from Northwestern Ave towards Bells Mills.

Where the red X is, there is a trail post saying no bikes (at least from what I remember). So if you continue on the legit trail, at the next intersection, there is a trail sign allowing bikes to turn right. Out of curiosity, I once went right to go exploring and ended up with some nice smooth, winding singletrack. However, it popped out where the red X is.

So is this legit or not? I didn't see any additional signage telling bikes to keep out. I can't believe it's ok to exit but not enter?
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    The red line is open to bikes. There were several signs indicating that this trail is open to bikes but they were removed. The sign that says bikes aren't allowed is scheduled to be removed in the near future. We forgot to remove/change the sign after building the new trail. I will try to find a sign that indicates all users are allowed to use the trail as a replacement.

mtbr member
    Thanks very much!
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    To add to the 2nd post above, that area is named Houston Meadows. The trail your red line shows is a reroute and rehabilitation. The formal announcement from the Phila Parks & Rec dept is here. As a side note, the announcement says the multu-usage designation will be reevaluated after one year, and that one year is up in the next few months.

The PMBA website, where the attachment is linked from, had previous discussions in 2011 about encounters with other, non-biking trail users who may not be aware the new trail is open to Mountain Bikers.

mtbr member

hate to thread jack, but ...

i rode south from summit and when i went to loop around at lincoln drive to get to the other side the path is closed to get to the trails on the mount airy side. what are people doing for loops now? dropping down at kitchens lane and continuing north from there? there is a way to get around the collapsed section by riding the rittenhouse trail through blue bell park and back to the new section that dumps to kitchen's, but how can you get there with the new closure?
    2017 XL Santa Cruz Tallboy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by guswalls View Post
    i rode south from summit and when i went to loop around at lincoln drive to get to the other side the path is closed to get to the trails on the mount airy side. what are people doing for loops now? dropping down at kitchens lane and continuing north from there? there is a way to get around the collapsed section by riding the rittenhouse trail through blue bell park and back to the new section that dumps to kitchen's, but how can you get there with the new closure?
    I blows that there is no signage for the people that don't know the park and surounding roads well. Here is what I do: just north of the closed section that leads to Rittenhouse town there is a short steep trail that leads up to the junction with the new section that leads to the picnic area off Walnut Lane; then tak a left on Walnut lane to the circle above Walnut Lane bridge; go straight through the circle and take Parkline Drive to drop in at trail head on Park line Drive on your left.

Be aware, the short steep rocky tread that you can use to by-pass the closure is a "hiker only" trail but totally ridable. They should post a sign b/c it is the only way to get up to that section without going on Lincoln Drive. Nobody with any sense should give you grief about it - they opened up the "hiker only" trails when we had to detour around the Kitchen's lane closure.

Here's a map of the area (I couldn't do the fancy routing job you guys did above, but it should help): <iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&amp;t=h&amp;ll=40.034022,-75.198498&amp;spn=0.00575,0.00912&amp;z=16&amp;out put=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&amp;t=h&amp;ll=40.034022,-75.198498&amp;spn=0.00575,0.00912&amp;z=16&amp;sou rce=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>
    Buy the ticket, take the ride. -HST

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dannmer View Post
    The red line is open to bikes. There were several signs indicating that this trail is open to bikes but they were removed. The sign that says bikes aren't allowed is scheduled to be removed in the near future. We forgot to remove/change the sign after building the new trail. I will try to find a sign that indicates all users are allowed to use the trail as a replacement.
    Was out yesterday (conditions were excellent) and saw the new, updated sign at the top of the Monster to the Meadows. Thanks again for all your hard work!
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

Members who have read this thread: 0