Prompton Dam Area..............- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. Prompton Dam Area..............

Heading to Prompton Dam Sunday wondering what the riding is like and what conditions are like this time of year. Thx

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    If it has rained lately in the area (which i believe it has) then it is going to be a soft mushy mess. fun? oh you bet. I know that on the red loop out across the dam there is a tree down in the trail about 2 miles out. Hopefully someone got out there to clear it away. The loops that run adjacent to the red loop is probably your best bet. They seem to stay a little dryer.

Grab some pics. Prompton is a fun little area. Make sure you go across the concrete wall that passes over the one stream. Scary, but very fun the first time . Let me know how the conditions are. I will be heading home next weekend and hopefully i will be hitting up prompton on saturday and merli sunday.

^ The Trail Starts Here ^

Prompton

Jeff:

I live near there. We had lots of rain a few days ago. Ride the entire loop around the lake. It is fun. This time of year you will have the usual fallen leaves on the trail to make it nice and slippy. I usually ride from the parking lot. I follow the trail that parralles the paved road. It is harder in this direction. but the finish is more fun. The ride ends with the trail over rocks by the dam.

Good luck

mtbr member

Good job! Thanks Penn State and Proformance Cycle......

5 of us headed out this morning for Prompton. It is just under 1 hour to get there from Mountain Top down near Wilkes Barre. We parked below the dam and rode clockwise on the red trail, so lake was on our right side. Came out of the woods near a boat ramp, rode through paved lot and got back in across ditch at end of parking area. Next stop was the RC plane field, one of our riders went out to find the geocache in the area while we relaxed for a few minutes. From there we rode up to the state road across the bridge over the creek and took a quick right along a small state forest road. This led along the creek back to the red trail. From there we rode all the way to the intersection with the yellow trail. Rode the yellow trail counter clockwise back to the bench area where it intersects the red trail. Decided to go back clockwise on the yellow trail to find the blue trail. We found it and rode it counterclockwise. After that it was the downhill to the dirt road across the top of the dam. Conditions were excellent! Yes there was some water and mud but certainly not a problem to ride. Noticed and appreciated the rock bridges that were built to clear small steams and some of the muddy areas. Weather was very nice so the water was not a problem. The yellow trail had a very large pine tree down that required us to crouch under. We enjoyed the trail system and are glad to have finally rode Prompton Dam! Thx again for the info.

Members who have read this thread: 0