Poconos in May- Mtbr.com

Thread: Poconos in May

mtbr member

Poconos in May

Me and some college buddies want to do a mountain bike weekend in the Poconos. We chose the Pocono area because is central in relation to where we are each driving from - NY/CT/VA. I ride almost every weekend and these guys stick to rail trails - so I don't want to take them on anything overly technical.

I'm looking for mellow climbs with some views at the top and flowy singletrack.

Through some quick searches on here and MTB Project/Trailforks I have:
    • Broad Mt. Loop
    • Twin Peaks
    • Coal Cracker
    • Moosic
    • Lackawanna

Am I missing anything or on the wrong track? Can anyone make suggestions?

TIA

mtbr member
    The last time I road the Broad Mt. Loop it was terrible and the trail was covered in pebbles. Just boring and hard to ride in. Not sure if that has changed.

Twin peaks may be a little tough for newbys.
    It is the Right of the People to Alter or to Abolish It.

mtbr member
    Lackawanna SP (aka LSP) would be a blast for all of you. Moosic would be too rough. Ttyl, Fahn

Ps. There's a ton of great riding around here. You just need new buddies! Hahaha!
    Hubbard Bike Club

mtbr member
    That being said, I strongly believe that Raystown is the best place for you guys to go. It might not be "central" but it's well worth the drive from anywhere. Beginner, intermediate or pro you'll love this place. You can ride Raystown several days and vary the trails so you're not just doing Twin Peaks or Coal Cracker. Ttyl, Fahn
    Hubbard Bike Club

Chilling out
    +1 on Raystown, but ...

depending on factors you could also do no wrong by heading to the Lehigh Valley.

Center yourself on Allentown and there's a ton of riding options for the "more buff than rock" riding crowd, from short to long.

Trexler, Nockamixon, and Blue Marsh Lake head the list IMO but they are just the TIP of the iceberk.

Keeping NE PA; Lackawanna, riding from Black Diamond trailhead in Mountain Top (with a local guide), and also Moon Lake come to mind as great alternatives. I concur that Moosic may beat up the rail trail crowd a bit excessively.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Switchback at Jim Thorpe...

...R/T with a twist, From Mauch Chunk county park to down town JT then a bit of climbing in town on a few roads to the Wagon Road, then climbing up the Wagon Road which you can walk up, but leaves you with mostly downhill all the way back to MC county park. Great view a top Mt Pisgah! This is a loop so park at Mauch Chunk county park and return to the same place! I recommend doing this ride counterclockwise.

mtbr member
    I came across Nockamixon on another search. That is definitely a go on that trail. Lackawanna looks good too for the second day. If I can convince them to go to Allentown, I'll definitely have a wider selection of trails to choose from.

mtbr member
    I don't know if you're set on the Poconos for reasons other than riding, and I can't believe I'm saying this, but the Lehigh Valley would be a great place to meet up. You've got beginner friendly trails at Jacobsburg State Park, Nox, and Jordan Creek. There are several sections of the D&L trail you can ride beginning in Bethlehem, riding towards Easton, or beginning in Northampton and ride towards Lehighton. There's also a pump track near by in Olympic Park in Macungie.

Lots of good food on Main Street in downtown Bethlehem: Brew Works, Touch (Thai), Wooden Match (Cigar bar with food), Johnny's Bagels (best bagels and I grew up in NJ)

Downtown Easton also has good night life. Lots of places to eat at all different price points.

If you do end up in the Valley, feel free to PM me for dining advice. I can send you anywhere from a vegan bakery, to southern comfort, cheap but good sushi, to authentic Indian or just a good pub.
    The cake is a lie.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Philly ain't bad either. You could ride the Wiss and Belmont single track (all told about 50 miles of intermediate level trails) while your buddies hit Forbidden Drive or The Schuylkill River Trail (they are connected) or Betzwood near Valley Forge. Further west is the Perkiomen Trail (connected to SRT near Valley Forge and Green Lane) Perky trail is about 20 miles of rail trail and Green Lane has about 25 miles of single and double track. A little further south you have White Clay and Middle Run in DE (about 35 minutes south of Center City)

mtbr member
    I live and ride in the Thorpe area. It's an amazing place to ride, but odd in some ways. The terrain is either beginner level rail trail type of stuff (Lehigh Gorge, Switchback), or advanced-expert singletrack... steep, rocky, and difficult to navigate. Pretty raw terrain. Unmapped (sort of). It's a place that lends itself to exploratory rides for riders that are capable and well equipped.

One option would be to take a shuttle from Blue Mtn Sports to the top of the Broad Mountain and ride Deer Path/Uranium Road, down into the Gorge, all the way back to town. Your buddies would be in over their heads on the first half of the ride,but if they're on actual mountain bikes (not rail trail specific bikes) they'll likely survive. It would certainly be an adventure for them. And that's the point of mountain biking, right??? You'd have fun too. The first half of the ride is excellent. And I've been clearing the singletrack up there the last few weeks, so...

The shuttle elimates 90% of the climbing on this ride. Worth considering.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I haven't been there but they are having an Enduro at Glen Park I believe that's near the Poconos.

eci
    The lehigh valley is approx 30 mins south of the poconos depending on your definition of the poconos - that being said, stay there

Ride Nox / Trexler / Jacobsburg. I put them in that order bc nox is the most fun, trexler the most challenging and jacobsburg has the most rail trail stuff. A lot of people will hate on Jburg but for your need its perfect, plus if you look on strava there are some sweet loops people have put together there. All three trail heads are within 30 mins of each other. You can bro bra in downtown bethlehem or hang out in allentown or put on your hipster attire and stroll around easton

mtbr member
    Easton is hipster? For real?

I've been reading great things about Nox - I'll have a chance to check it out before my trip since I'll be in Easton in early May. Any particular area of Nox that I should concentrate on? North/South?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by VanillaEps View Post
    Easton is hipster? For real?

I've been reading great things about Nox - I'll have a chance to check it out before my trip since I'll be in Easton in early May. Any particular area of Nox that I should concentrate on? North/South?
    Not sure what people's definition of a place being "hipster" is, but the one nice thing I'll say is that Easton is better than ever to walk around at night and find good food. Ten years ago, I wouldn't have said that. The farmers market is now a permanent fixture and as much as I like the local thing, it is a bit... pretentious.

There's a ton of places around the center square (actually a circle...). Pearly Baker's is a personal favorite for a great beer list and a burger/salad/sandwich.

The bike trails at Nox are 4 stacked loops totaling 9-ish miles. There's a gravel lot off Tower Road and if that's busy, go to the Haycock Boat Launch off 563 (right after the bridge). There' a trail head on 563 that's easy to get to.

The trails are well marked and well traveled most weekends, you shouldn't have trouble getting around.
    The cake is a lie.

eci
    There is only one lot to park in and thats the corner of tower rd.

Go out on the main trail and start going right. most of the trails you want to go counter clockwise. there is one trail you want to do clockwise but I cant remember the name. Its a super fun place to rip some bikes