Pleae vote for PA in IMBA's report Card!!!!!!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Pleae vote for PA in IMBA's report Card!!!!!!

Dear VMB members, State wide advocates, clubs and guests:

In the past few years IMBA has been asking for mountain bikers to vote on their respective state. In the last few years this is a very important tool for many reasons. We can use these results to highlight our successes and work on our weaknesses. We can and have used this information to show our state leaders how PA ranks as compared to other states. Recently, PA has sponsored a mountain bike race team. This team is known as the VisitPA mountain bike team. Information can be found on www.visitpa.com . PA was ranked lower than WV and in turn our tourism board in conjunction with local mountain bike racers worked together to create this team. This is only one way in which your vote can make things happen. I ask you personally to take 5 seconds and vote honestly on how you feel things are. Consider a few things when you vote:

Locally:
    -over 6 separate trail systems with varied type terrain for all levels of riders
    -Ever-growing advocacy and riding group that looks for opportunities to ride
    -improved relationship with wildlands conservancy and continued relationships with Lehigh county parks and DCNR
    Regionally/State wide:
    -3 dedicated State IMBA reps helping to increase riding opportunities and build relationships on state wide levels.
    -2 new clubs starting up to deal with advocacy issues
    -initial relationships with National Park Service at Valley Forge Park
    -strong regional race series: Mid-Atlantic Super Series
    -implementation of trail liaisons to increase local relationships with park managers to keep trail access open
    -new trail systems: i.e. Swatara Park, Bear Creek, Salisbury Township
    -Strong Regional Clubs: i.e. Rattling Creek www.rcst1.org
    Valley Mountain Bikers: www.bikevmb.com
    SAMBA
    YAMBA
    JAR(Wissahickon)
    NEMBA
    LHORBA
    PORC
    Statewide Challenges:
    -still not able to organize state wide mountain bike association
    -PA Game Commission trail designations changing impact on other trail systems
    -Mountain Biking not on the same level of master planning as compared to hiking, ATV etc.
    -The mountain bike community not having one entity to get information from and collect information

PLEASE VOTE ON IMBA’S WEBSITE; FOLLOW THE LINK BELOW

http://www.imba.com/news/news_releas...port_card.html

Joseph Transue
    Pres; Valley Mountain Bikers www.bikevmb.com
    Eastern PA IMBA Rep: www.imba.com
    Coalition for Appropriate Transportation: www.car-free.com
    610-533-0942
    [email protected]

mtbr member
    thanks so far to everyone who voted, we almost doubled our number of votes in 24 hrs. Tell your friends and fellow riders to vote, thanks.

Freshly Fujified

I did my part

And have forwarded to two others who will hopefully vote.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    So, from your post it seems we should vote "D" or "F" and that access is declining (which I think it is), then somebody from IMBA might notice PA?

mtbr member
    It is an interesting question that GT_guy raises. Has access gotten better or worse? Here in the East, Wissahickon added some new trails that we are allowed on so that ranks as an improvement. However, we lost the American Standard in Jim Thorpe which in many people's opinion was THE mountain bike trail in PA.

Any othe examples of gains or losses?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I was being a bit sarcastic in my last post. I don't think it matters what you put in the poll, IMBA is not very concerned with PA or states like it. They did nothing a few years back when we lost the SGL.

If Hackamo is correct in saying that the state decided to sponsor a race team as a result of this survey, then I have to ask where the logic is in that decision? Cycling is a fractional sport in PA, MTB'ing is an even smaller fraction of that, and racers are smaller still.

Anyway, just my $.02 on a rainy Saturday.

mtbr member
    you've hit a hot button, so i will try and be "diplomatic"

IMBA is what WE make of it. It is like many non-profits a hub for infomation and guidance on national issues. Who better to know local issues than local people. If you want to sit back and complain that IMBA should of "fixed" the PGC situation, then you'll always think that way and i doubt I or any other would satisfy someone with that opinion.

For the record, Tim the only IMBA rep at that time put many, many hours into fighting the PGC situation and he had a few local harrisburg riders, but in the end when he looked back to see "who was behind him" everyone was out riding their bikes. Sorry to say but that's my opinion. If you are of the very few who helped tim, i'm not addressing you.

To suggest i ask that you vote low is ridiculous. If in someone's mind we honest deserve a D then we do, and we can use that as a tool to open people's eyes as to our sport. The statement about visitpa.com team was like any situation; a multitude of things happened like Mike K approaching the state for a race team. Everything came together for it to happen. If we got an A i would be promoting that probably more. I think our access(at least from what I know is increasing) Here in the Lehigh Valley we now have 6 places to ride and even though it's tough to keep all the places in good shape having more palces to ride(assuming sustainable trail systems are built) reduces the overall impact of other places.

GT, no offense but opinions like yours i run into all the time. People expect things to just happen. The mountain bike community has to make it happen or it just isn't going to happen. For the 2 negtive things i had there were 8 positives.

I've always wondered groups like motorcyles, cars etc people love to get in groups , but mtn bikers in general seem to shy away......so i guess i'll always be fighting the battle.

As always i dont shy away from conversation, so if anyone ever wants to call i can be reached at

[email protected]
    610-533-0942

positive or negative at least vote. if you have complaints submit them as well.

mtbr member

Joe is right

Quote Originally Posted by Hackamo
    you've hit a hot button, so i will try and be "diplomatic"

IMBA is what WE make of it. It is like many non-profits a hub for infomation and guidance on national issues. Who better to know local issues than local people. If you want to sit back and complain that IMBA should of "fixed" the PGC situation, then you'll always think that way and i doubt I or any other would satisfy someone with that opinion.

For the record, Tim the only IMBA rep at that time put many, many hours into fighting the PGC situation and he had a few local harrisburg riders, but in the end when he looked back to see "who was behind him" everyone was out riding their bikes. Sorry to say but that's my opinion. If you are of the very few who helped tim, i'm not addressing you.

To suggest i ask that you vote low is ridiculous. If in someone's mind we honest deserve a D then we do, and we can use that as a tool to open people's eyes as to our sport. The statement about visitpa.com team was like any situation; a multitude of things happened like Mike K approaching the state for a race team. Everything came together for it to happen. If we got an A i would be promoting that probably more. I think our access(at least from what I know is increasing) Here in the Lehigh Valley we now have 6 places to ride and even though it's tough to keep all the places in good shape having more palces to ride(assuming sustainable trail systems are built) reduces the overall impact of other places.

GT, no offense but opinions like yours i run into all the time. People expect things to just happen. The mountain bike community has to make it happen or it just isn't going to happen. For the 2 negtive things i had there were 8 positives.

I've always wondered groups like motorcyles, cars etc people love to get in groups , but mtn bikers in general seem to shy away......so i guess i'll always be fighting the battle.

As always i dont shy away from conversation, so if anyone ever wants to call i can be reached at

[email protected]
    610-533-0942

positive or negative at least vote. if you have complaints submit them as well.

Joe,
    What percentage of PA mountain bike riders are:
    members of IMBA?
    members of a local club?
    showing up for local trail work days?
    involved with helping open new places to ride?

IMBA is looked at like some HUGE force, but it is not. It is you and me, and we all have to be an ARMY of one!

Thanks Joe,

Matt Myers

Hoopy Frood

MTB Clubs

It's always surprised me that there's no mountain biking organizations for the area around Philadelphia. It seems like there are a lot of riders in the Philadelphia, Delaware, Bucks, Montogomery, and Chester counties but there is no central group to facilitate communications or coordinate efforts.

I know that groups from Jersey and Delaware often spill over into the Philadelphia region to organize events and perform maintenance but I find it odd that there's no SEPA-based organization.

Organizing an MTB group on a state-wide level is probably impossible because the state is so large and riders really only care to preserve or expand their local trails. It's probably best to have one or two individual lobbyists at a state level coordinate between the regional groups to provide state-wide support for the larger issues.

Even so, with no regional MTB group based in SE Pennsylvania, we're missing out on a large number of cyclists.

Just some rambling thoughts on a rainy afternoon.

- khill
    I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. - Thomas Jefferson

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    you've hit a hot button

Not my intention, sorry.

If you want to sit back and complain that IMBA should of "fixed" the PGC situation, then you'll always think that way and i doubt I or any other would satisfy someone with that opinion. For the record, Tim the only IMBA rep at that time put many, many hours into fighting the PGC situation and he had a few local harrisburg riders, but in the end when he looked back to see "who was behind him" everyone was out riding their bikes.

Let's just say I remember things a bit differently. From my perspective IMBA named a state coordinator when it was probably already too late and fed him to the lions in Harrisburg. I don't recall anybody from the national office showing up in PA. So when you say he turned around and saw no one, include IMBA in that group.
    Do I think they should have "fixed it"? No. I do think they should have shown up though.

To suggest i ask that you vote low is ridiculous.

I don't think so. You conduct a survey to see where to concentrate limited resources. Do you spend your money in a state where the riders say everything's great and improving, or where they say the situation is bad and getting worse? The old "squeaky wheel" theory in action.

GT, no offense but opinions like yours i run into all the time. People expect things to just happen. <snip> I've always wondered groups like motorcyles, cars etc people love to get in groups , but mtn bikers in general seem to shy away......so i guess i'll always be fighting the battle.

Don't paint with too broad a brush there. And at the risk of doing so myself, maybe people don't join mtb clubs because they don't perceive a value in doing so. I'm generally aware of what you've done in the LV area. While I may not agree with all of what you(VMB) do and how you go about it, I appreciate the fact that you're out there doing something. I know that with any organization it's 10% of the members that do 90% of the work.

As always i dont shy away from conversation
    Like I said, my intention was not to bust your chops.
    We only live about 10 miles apart. Maybe we can grab a beer and talk bikes sometime.

mtbr member
    GT(it would be nice to have names to know people by) i agree that IMBA should had a national representative there. If it was the sierra club or PA equine council they would of had someone......BUT imba is a youngster when compared to other clubs, and if mtn bikers expect imba to do something it will always be a small organization.

If you don't agree with me, how am i to know what you don't agree about. As i said before after the whole PGC situation everyone was upset and then said what they felt. If you know about the club please come to a meeting. I know certain folks have their opinions about me and they in general have gone their own way and i wish them luck. I do what i do b/c i love it. I love the sport of cycling and want to see it grow.....bottom line. I truly listen to those who have come before me and try and learn and share that with our club. I mean this...if mtn bikers continue to watch from the outside and say " i wouldn't of done it that way" then i give myself one more year and i'm out. I don't get paid, and nor do i want to. i do it to meet other riders and live my life through cycling.

it gets frustrating when others "know about me" but i don't know about them. That's the goal is to use our commonatility of mtn biking to form friendships, build alliances. People often say "i don't have time to help i like to ride" ask the people in harrisburg, they don't have time to ride b/c they lost their place to ride. Ask the people in brandywine, they're may not have a reason to ride a mtn bike either.

You may not agree with me, but we have tons of places to ride, relationships either myself or trail liasons that solidify those opprotunites and we have built a reputation of being responsible riders and we're starting to always be at the table when it comes to master planning with city and local governments. We are know asked for our perspective on when a township wants to use land for recreation.......sitting and watching isn't going to get you there.

I'm not in this to make enemies. Unfortunately i've got my share of critics, but i stress out more about that then just moving forward.

Here is my report card: I can ride within a hours drive over 10 spots, all with varying types of terrain and difficulty. I regulary communicate with as many mtn bikers as i can. i assist in creating new clubs and teaching those how to position themselves in creating and maintaining opportunites. If there is trouble on a trail i usually see it or find out about it relatively quickly and someone usually remedies the problem with 48 hrs. I am trying to develop state advocacy/trail reps for every trail in my area.

my challenges: i put my information out at nauseum(sp) and i can't seem to get face to face or verbal feedback regarding decisions/issues. I agree with another post that our southeast representation is pretty soft. I've ridden wissahickon and once riders start saying hi to eachother and stop and talk will a club exist. Jay jones and JAR do an amazing job but i'm sure it stretches their resources on trails in jersey.

In general those who have talked to me about these issues i think we make some pretty good progress. If it seems like i'm defending myself....well I am, b/c until someone or something shows me different I think a proactive approach works well. If someone lives 10 miles from me, and rides a bike and knows the things i've done then i've failed as a mtn bike representative by the fact that we've never talked or ridden together, so maybe i will change some things. A state organization HAS TO HAPPEN, if NEMBA, or MORE can do it why the hek can PA do it. Once people realize that what other clubs do effects other areas and sharing information is powerful and also sharing riding experiences is even more powerful, then just like the imba example things will remain the same.

GT, i use you not on a personal level but as an example. Until people like me can stand beside people like yourself we will always be 10 miles away in distance but 1000 miles away in progress.

my address:
    883 Municipal road
    walnutport, pa 18088
    610-533-0942
    [email protected]

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Does anyone feel this previous posted thread (listed below) have any relevance to what is being discussed here?

I posted this message in several areas of the biking community and got no response.

Not attacking the specific area or the effort to save it- but the "Save Fairless Hills" thread has generated more interest. Isn't that MD?

I'm newer to these issues but I can definetly see your frustrations Joe...

Josh

Stony Valley Critical Mass

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here I go....
    On Oct. 16 at 9 AM to 3 PM there will be a SGL driving tour of GL 211 also known as Stony Creek Rail Trail. Numerous motorists will drive the 18 mile railgrade starting from Ellendale, Dauphin County to Gold Mine Rd. Lebanon County.

I am calling owt to the biking community:

We well know that PGC has restricted multi- use access to almost all of its land holdings. Only areas with designated routes are considered rideable. Some would say this desicion was reached as MT bikers are often viewed as a group with little organization and low stewardship of the land they use- often a hard point to argue in support of riders....

Stony Creek has a designated route that is fun and can be challenge to all user groups. But it is now threatened.....Go to www.savestonyvalley.com for more information.
    A short version:The Ft. Indiantown Gap military installation is proposing to "swap" off land within the valley for a Restricted "Artillery Buffer Zone". This line comes dangerously to the Rails-to-Trails and creek.

I feel this is a perfect opportunity for bikers of all walks to come owt on this day to show the public, PGC and press bikers support the lands available to us to be used. We need support of wilderness areas and the access of them. Their not making anymore wilderness areas and certainly not much is done for improvement of acces to exsisting ones. This group has been silent in any support of Stony Valley.

Any support to come owt on this day would be much appreciated. The more riders we can get owt- the better the impression left. Please feel free to contact me, Josh, at 717.921.8212 if you need other information.
    Thank you for your time.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Hey Joe!!!

still fighting the good fight i see. good news. i'll try not to drop a post full of f-bombs here, but some people might just invoke the wrath of the princess.

anyway, i have to admit that PA has its issues.

we know that i've a history of doing what little i can at times and certainly trying to prod others into the same, but right now, it doesn't look like we're too bad off.

* 3 IMBA reps for one of the smallest states out there is nice, especially since i have known 2 of you for years and seen the dedication to the cycling community albeit in different ways.

* strong relations with IMBA TCC is a huge bonus, i've met crews all through the state, even on our trailwork days when it's their day off. that kind of support is huge on a small level.

* access looks good. not too many places getting the axe. yeah there's the thing at stony, but well, the riders made thier bed there. time to lie in it. otherwise the state looks good, with small hotspots having local focus from their organizations.

* granted we need a statewide organization, but this state isn't big on getting together for anything. i find it ironic that the better organizations throughout the state are in the more rural areas and not the major population centers.

*popularity is becoming an issue in my view. too many people are heading here and we're having to deal with problems that never came about when smaller groups of people were riding our trails. this is impacting negatively on things that have been thus far taken for granted. we need to address this in the future, or at least i believe we do.

i gotta run, but i thought i'd drop in and say hi.

get your ass to state college joe, just not on a gameday.

mtbr member
    Ol' donny boy. Good to hear from you. I'm really mad b/c i missed the bash, but we had an opportunity at Bear Creek(IMBA TCC help the initial design) and 4 years later we hold the best(I'm biased of course) MASS race of the year. I did see pictures of you working on your bike AGAIN, but i did notice you decided to ride without tires and tubes just straight up rims...cool

I'll always be fightin' the fight. Why? not because of $$$ or getting noticed(some might say but they're hatin') but because every single time i hop on the ride and get out there on that singletrack it's such a positve memory i can't wait to go again. After losin' 70 lbs now i can keep up with some of ya! Seriously, some day we'll have a state organization, i promise. We have some unbeleivable clubs that have great leaders. I think in the next 2 years those club leaders will have their local club rockin and rollin and maybe can put some time into the state thing. We have resources at our feet i.e. grants, mags, bike co's etc that could help get us off the ground, it just has to come together.

This sport hopefully will transform into a proactive i/o reactive. The PGC was completely reactive and once we lost people gave up. We have to fight the fight not for our local riding spot, but for the sport. If we do then things will start to roll.

don, you'll have to bring Frank(i heard he's chubbin' up, said scott from the chain gang) and see some of our new trails. their not 800 miles long like up in rothrock, but they'll chatter your fillings out.

Until then my friend...................

Freshly Fujified

Is it relevant?

Quote Originally Posted by roadkill
    Does anyone feel this previous posted thread (listed below) have any relevance to what is being discussed here?

I posted this message in several areas of the biking community and got no response.

Not attacking the specific area or the effort to save it- but the "Save Fairless Hills" thread has generated more interest. Isn't that MD?

I'm newer to these issues but I can definetly see your frustrations Joe...

Josh

Stony Valley Critical Mass

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here I go....
    On Oct. 16 at 9 AM to 3 PM there will be a SGL driving tour of GL 211 also known as Stony Creek Rail Trail. Numerous motorists will drive the 18 mile railgrade starting from Ellendale, Dauphin County to Gold Mine Rd. Lebanon County.

I am calling owt to the biking community:

We well know that PGC has restricted multi- use access to almost all of its land holdings. Only areas with designated routes are considered rideable. Some would say this desicion was reached as MT bikers are often viewed as a group with little organization and low stewardship of the land they use- often a hard point to argue in support of riders....

Stony Creek has a designated route that is fun and can be challenge to all user groups. But it is now threatened.....Go to www.savestonyvalley.com for more information.
    A short version:The Ft. Indiantown Gap military installation is proposing to "swap" off land within the valley for a Restricted "Artillery Buffer Zone". This line comes dangerously to the Rails-to-Trails and creek.

I feel this is a perfect opportunity for bikers of all walks to come owt on this day to show the public, PGC and press bikers support the lands available to us to be used. We need support of wilderness areas and the access of them. Their not making anymore wilderness areas and certainly not much is done for improvement of acces to exsisting ones. This group has been silent in any support of Stony Valley.

Any support to come owt on this day would be much appreciated. The more riders we can get owt- the better the impression left. Please feel free to contact me, Josh, at 717.921.8212 if you need other information.
    Thank you for your time.
    Yes, the post is relevant. I have no clue where Stony Creek is and have never ridden there. I would say that if you've sent this message to groups who regularly ride there, and you've received no response, then shame on the riders who don't get involved.

Good luck in garnering support.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Bob,

it's mostly the greater harrisburg area. sadly the majority of riders there have little in the way of contributions to make save leaving the sport. and to everyone that comment digs, it does so for a reason. get off your asses and do something about it. PORC could tell you it pays off to look past my words and hear the message. and no doubt joe will tell you that i'm being quite mild. to the others, those of you whom i have met, ridden behind (cause i'm never in front of anyone) and worked beside you all know who and what i am, and i think you also know i love you all in my own weird way. keep up the good work, i'll see you on the trails. with bike or rake matters not.

Joe,

seems i got an honorary dirt devils membership or something for being my usual stupid self on the bike. needless to say even with some differring opinions on the details there is some solid agreement that you've got some fun stuff down your way. i look forward to being able to enjoy it. i'll keep in touch for this and for the matter of getting this state of independents working together. perhaps if we can get that off the ground here in the near future, i can start thinking about the mt bike park i want to open up on my old tree farm.

Josh,

stony isn't me, not that i would mind it or anything. i've just never been there, and honestly don't see myself getting there. i do however wish you all the luck in your efforts. try and remember that this isn't the only fight out there, so don't let it get you down if our fellow riders don't come up for you. joe and i (along with many many others) have seen more than our share of defeats failures and stalemates. yet we endure because someone has to. join us in that spirit and you'll be doing well by everyone that rides.

later folks!

Members who have read this thread: 0