Planning a weekend trip - destination suggestions?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Planning a weekend trip - destination suggestions?

Greetings from Rochester, NY!

A buddy and I want to celebrate the arrival of spring and take a weekend to just go ride the best trails we can find. We're hoping for two full days of 20-50mi each, and we enjoy a good mix of fast swoopy flow and challenging technical rocks. We're willing to drive 3-5 hours, so that more or less opens up the whole north half of PA.

We're not set on a destination yet, but I'm leaning towards the State College area, Allegrippis on one day and Rothrock on the other. So the questions for the locals:

Would those two destinations be our best choices, or should we look at a different area?
    Would it be worth it to spend two days in one park instead?
    How does Rattling Creek compare?
    What sort of train conditions should I expect in the first weekend of April? This spring has been warm and dry, and I hear Allegrippis dries very well. What about Rothrock?
    I've got a good handle on where to get maps, but does anyone have suggested "must-ride" routes?

Thanks for any help, I really appreciate it.

mtbr member
    Allegrippis is excellent smooth flowy, and extremely well marked. Even if you prefer more technical, it's a fun change of pace.

Rattling Creek is nice technical, but I've only ridden a little bit of it, and that was when a race was going on, so things were well marked. Not sure how well it's marked normally.

I don't think you can do any better than the Raystown/Rothroth combo - they're completely different rides. Conditions will be great - Raystown drains well and Rothrock is all rock so it also drains well.
    This is a good thread on what to ride at Rothrock:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/pennsylvania/...ht-724940.html

Rattling Creek is awesome and a good bucket list ride in the future. For a 2 day trip you could also hit Swatara which is pretty close, though small.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    dont forget aristes

Members who have read this thread: 0