Planning a trip, including mtn biking, where to go?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Planning a trip, including mtn biking, where to go?

Planning a vacation this summer with the family and want to do some mtn biking while in PA. We are looking at renting an RV, doing some fishing and biking, along with seeing some sights.

Any advice on trails would be great! Would help in the planning. If trails are relatively close to other activities, sights, please let me know.

Will have our own bikes.

mtbr member
    Raystown lake has very nice campgrounds and some of the best trails in PA. The lake itself is really nice although I've never fished there.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Somewhat close (in between actually) Philadelphia, Lancaster County Amish Country, and the Pocono Mountains:

French Creek (near Birdsboro)
    Blue Marsh (northwest of Reading)
    Nockamixon (near Quakertown)
    Marsh Creek (near Downingtown)
    Green Lane (near Pennsburg)

All have XC mtb trails, lakes with fishing of varying size, and near a lot of eastern PA's sights. Blue Marsh definitely has the most mileage; French Creek is the rockiest; Nockamixon possibly the best-maintained/smoothest although Marsh Creek is nice too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I would recommend raystown as well. Aside from the lake there are some great trout streams as well. You also have Rothrock State forest close bye which has very good riding and pristine creeks.

Squ-eti
    The Laurel Highlands area would be another option. There's the rocky, relatively flat trails at Laurel Summit, the former 24 hr race course at 7 springs + the downhill bike park, some good singletrack between the two around Hidden Valley, and a trip to Ohiopyle isn't far away to play in the water and ride either rail trails or some big climbs/descents.

Yellow Creek State Park near Indiana PA also has a really nice singletrack loop that goes all the way around the lake, and is about 20 miles round trip.
    "Trails? Where we're going we don't need, trails!"

Tough Guy Extraordinaire
    In PA, Raystown! It's really the only place I've seen listed above where you would legitimately want to ride for a few days in a row. Others identified are fun, but I am not sure I would want to be there for more than a day, if that!

Also, if your real goal is camping, fishing and riding, make it Rays. Camping is very nice. It's an ACoE facility, so beer is legal, unlike most of the others. It's also the largest lake in PA.

All of these great parts, and then you throw in the fact that the trails are some of the best around, and I am not sure how you could tell someone to go somewhere else.

If you plan on it, especially with an RV, be sure and reserve a campsite well in advance. They can get pretty booked up, especially in spring and early summer.
    - 2013 Pivot Mach 429 C
    - 2010 Niner MCR
    - 2009 Cannondale Super Six HM
    - 2007 Santa Cruz Super Light

Chilling out
    gmoss, *what kind of riding do you enjoy* ?

There's a huge variety of that in PA, and while great the Alligrippis trails do not cover the gamut.

my church is the woods
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    gmoss, *what kind of riding do you enjoy* ?
    There's a huge variety of that in PA, and while great the Alligrippis trails do not cover the gamut.
    What ^ said. Raystown is a 30 mile giant pumptrack, fun for a while, but not typical of PA. If you like real mountain biking with rocks, big climbs and killer descents, I recommend Michaux state forest, specifically Pine Grove Furnace campground. The campground has awesome facilities, two lakes for swimming and fishing short bike ride away. Trail maps might be the only issue there, so try to find some locals to show you around.

Snow Dog
    Glad I found this thread!! From Ohio, and always looking for great places to ride and possibly vacay that are close to home...
    Go Practice. Figure it out - Fleas

15 Surly Krampus - King Amongst Bikes
    LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    Yeah, I hate to be negative -- to each their own -- but Raystown is purpose built, super flowy, smooth single track. It's fun and a great trail system, but in the end, to me, gets boring.

I spend a lot of time at some of the Western PA locations listed above and never get bored. It just depends on what you like/are looking for.

If you're into fly fishing, there are some great fly project/delayed harvest streams in the Western PA area as well. Like Meadow Run that feeds the Yough near Ohiopyle and parts of the Loyalhanna below Laurel Mountain. There's also some great fishing around Yellow Creek.

It might be easier, OP, if you start with some parameters on what type of riding you like and what part of the state you plan to be in.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Thanks guys. our search for a place to go ended me up in Maine. Doesn't look like as much riding, but some riding nonetheless. At some point, I figure we will get to PA, but at this point, and with my oldest getting to be "too old" to be with his folks, and be cool (16), I figure this will be the last time for awhile that I will have him for a week+.

Appreciate the info, and hopefully it helps someone else.