Pittsburgh Riding Scene- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Pittsburgh Riding Scene

I want to live in an urban environment where i can walk to a good amount of restaurants and bars. I also want to live in a place where i have readily access to technical XC riding, with the possibility of being able to hit these trails after work. Is Pittsburgh a good city for me?

S&G CREW
    Feb 2008
    Check out the southside lots of bars and restaurants and frick park only a few min away.

mtbr member
    Second that on Southside. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a bar or restaurant there. Frick Park is close by, and many other options within 30 minutes or so. I assume you're East Coast with that question.

mtbr member
    Yeah, i live in North NJ right now and tend to like the more technical terrain versus trails where you ride up a mountain for hours check out the views and then ride back down in minutes.

Southside, i assume includes "the flats." I use the beermapping.com to get a feel for where the cool strips are in a city and that E Carson seemed to be a good one.

I see Frick Park mentioned a lot in the Pburgh recommendations. Is it technical? Would you consider finding techy riding around Pburgh pretty easy to come by?

I am by no means awesome at riding very technical trails but i have identified it as the style of riding i like. I just recently got a Pivot Mach 5 because of it.

Thanks for the responses.

my fun has a hurting
    in the city frick is fairly tech and riverview not so much. right outside the city south park is mostly buff with a couple tech sections if you know where to look. same for north park, deer lakes and boyce. hartwood has a lot of tech stuff. and then once you go about half an hour to an hour out of town you have bavington for smooth flowy buff trails, apollo/roaring run or laurel mtn for medium tech and moraine for the gnarliest tech single track you will find almost anywhere outside of a dh park.

there are a bunch of other trail systems around here that i didn't mention, because i haven't ridden them enough to have an opinion yet.

Pittsburgh has a pretty strong mtb scene with a really good local trails and advocacy group (PTAG) tons of urban and suburban trail networks within the city or 15-30 minutes away and an up and coming urban bike culture. plus dirtrag is here.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Prophet bill
    Check out the southside lots of bars and restaurants and frick park only a few min away.
    Or you can live in the Point Breeze/Regent Square area, where you can ride right in to the woods and all the great eateries in the area.

mtbr member

+1

Quote Originally Posted by ScottRPriester
    Or you can live in the Point Breeze/Regent Square area, where you can ride right in to the woods and all the great eateries in the area.

I lived in Point Breeze and I could be riding singletrack within 2 minutes - literally - from my back door.

You can walk to Squirrel Hill...

Unless things changed in the last few years, you have to cross a river to get to Frick from the South Side...

mtbr member

Does the city have any nearby whitewater or skiing to offset the MTB down season? I know the skiing is a stretch.

my fun has a hurting
    ohiopyle has some nice whitewater. fair amount of sking around that area in the laurel highlands too. its all about an hour away.

most of us (or many of us at least) ride year round though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by idbrian

Does the city have any nearby whitewater or skiing to offset the MTB down season? I know the skiing is a stretch.
    Boyce Park in Monroeville has downhill skiing and it's the absoloute closest to the city. Of course there is Seven Springs and Hidden Valley but all around an hour or so away.

mtbr member
    Not to take away from Pittsburgh - originally from there and visiting now - but check out Greensboro, NC. Great smaller city with everything you need - and some of the best cross country trails I've ridden. A bunch of small trails that make great after work rides, but link them all together for epic Saturday or Sunday ride. Right now you can ride about 30 miles by linking individual trails. The local club keeps building new trails - all great - and the city government is very cooperative. There is even a freeride/dirtjump area called "The Zone". When you need a change of pace take a roadtrip to Wilkesboro, Lake Norman, Pisgah, Tsali, etc. Snow skiing is not readily available (withing a 3 hour drive, though), but whitewater is in the southwestern part of the state - and calmer paddling right in town. With the milder weather, biking season is basically year-round, although fall/winter/spring sees more days where the trails are too wet to ride.
    Vehor vivo est!

Members who have read this thread: 0