Pittsburgh- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Pittsburgh

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    16

    Pittsburgh

    Going to see my brother in law in Squirel Hill next weekend, suggestions on where I can ride in the area, somewhere close would be fantastic. Single Speed rigid 29er or geared suspension 26er?

    thanks.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: InvictaS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,878
    Frick Park

  3. #3
    The White Jeff W
    Reputation: jeffw-13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    5,625
    No moss...

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Roach
    Going to see my brother in law in Squirel Hill next weekend, suggestions on where I can ride in the area, somewhere close would be fantastic. Single Speed rigid 29er or geared suspension 26er?

    thanks.
    Yep as someone else stated, Frick Park is 600 acres bordering Squirrel Hill. You can ride right to the park from just about any point in Squirrel Hill, then come out of the woods and enjoy some good food in Regent Square.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    45
    btw, you can ride the rigid ss 29er anywhere. there is no longer a need for 26'' bikes. throw them all away.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    16
    thanks.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by TimTimo
    btw, you can ride the rigid ss 29er anywhere. there is no longer a need for 26'' bikes. throw them all away.
    I think your statement should be reversed. I don't think there is any "need" for 29" wheels anywhere. 26 inch wheeled bikes were conquering everything everywhere before 29 inch wheels became mainstream.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: reformed roadie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,586

    +1

    Quote Originally Posted by ScottRPriester
    I think your statement should be reversed. I don't think there is any "need" for 29" wheels anywhere. 26 inch wheeled bikes were conquering everything everywhere before 29 inch wheels became mainstream.

    29ers are a crutch for people who can't ride a 26" wheel bike.
    Get back to us when you see a wagon wheeled 4 cross, downhill, Super D or all mountain bike.

    SS are for people perplexed by all those gear combinations.


    Oh... for Frick. Don't miss the Iron Gate (trailhead behind the ball field on Beechwood).

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ray Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,339
    Quote Originally Posted by reformed roadie
    Oh... for Frick. Don't miss the Iron Gate (trailhead behind the ball field on Beechwood).
    Love the Iron Gate! A wooded drop, teeter, berms and a small jump with a a flow thats fun for beginners to the freaks of nature doing 40 mph all in a city park.... you have to watch for walkers and there dogs but the Gate has a great line of site almost everywhere.

    Played hooky today due to the weather, Frick in the morning and North park till 5... going to hurt in the morning.

  10. #10
    my fun has a hurting
    Reputation: cdburch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    658
    the nice thing about the gate is that i can rail it on a rigid 29er and somehow still have just as much fun on my 8" fr rig. its great for tuning your setup too.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottRPriester
    I think your statement should be reversed. I don't think there is any "need" for 29" wheels anywhere. 26 inch wheeled bikes were conquering everything everywhere before 29 inch wheels became mainstream.
    yeah horseback was nice too and then they invented the model t...how badass was that? i mean, don't live the past forever....just because you guys don't have a 29er doesn't mean that you need to hate all over them...

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by TimTimo
    yeah horseback was nice too and then they invented the model t...how badass was that? i mean, don't live the past forever....just because you guys don't have a 29er doesn't mean that you need to hate all over them...
    I wasn't hating, but I also didn't want to give others the idea you need a 29'er to ride the park, because you dont.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ray Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,339
    I dig both 29ers and 26 inch wheels.............. the old school sizes are cool in a retro kinda way


    Quote Originally Posted by ScottRPriester
    I wasn't hating, but I also didn't want to give others the idea you need a 29'er to ride the park, because you dont.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    16
    is there stunts through out frick?

  15. #15
    SP Singletrack rocks
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,834
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Roach
    is there stunts through out frick?
    yeah nothing to bad for the most part but there are some cool bridges, log piles, drops, and berms.

    Most of the really 'gnar' stuff has go arounds on it.

    here is a TR from last fall

    [QUOTE = Bushwacker]

    My bike went on a ride today

    its felt kinda of like this


    My bike when on ride today on some appalachian singletrack


    my bike stare down the roots


    Jumps over small logs


    but my bike like bigger logs


    along with teeter toters


    My bike was scared of the log rides


    took a tumble on this a frame


    but rather enjoyed this one(can you say old growth)


    lucky for me I got to go along


    thanks you my bike

    [/QUOTE]

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.