Pittsburgh- Mtbr.com

Thread: Pittsburgh

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Pittsburgh

Going to see my brother in law in Squirel Hill next weekend, suggestions on where I can ride in the area, somewhere close would be fantastic. Single Speed rigid 29er or geared suspension 26er?

thanks.

mtbr member
    Frick Park

The White Jeff W
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Roach
    Going to see my brother in law in Squirel Hill next weekend, suggestions on where I can ride in the area, somewhere close would be fantastic. Single Speed rigid 29er or geared suspension 26er?

thanks.
    Yep as someone else stated, Frick Park is 600 acres bordering Squirrel Hill. You can ride right to the park from just about any point in Squirrel Hill, then come out of the woods and enjoy some good food in Regent Square.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    btw, you can ride the rigid ss 29er anywhere. there is no longer a need for 26'' bikes. throw them all away.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TimTimo
    btw, you can ride the rigid ss 29er anywhere. there is no longer a need for 26'' bikes. throw them all away.
    I think your statement should be reversed. I don't think there is any "need" for 29" wheels anywhere. 26 inch wheeled bikes were conquering everything everywhere before 29 inch wheels became mainstream.

mtbr member

+1

Quote Originally Posted by ScottRPriester
    I think your statement should be reversed. I don't think there is any "need" for 29" wheels anywhere. 26 inch wheeled bikes were conquering everything everywhere before 29 inch wheels became mainstream.

29ers are a crutch for people who can't ride a 26" wheel bike.
    Get back to us when you see a wagon wheeled 4 cross, downhill, Super D or all mountain bike.

SS are for people perplexed by all those gear combinations.

Oh... for Frick. Don't miss the Iron Gate (trailhead behind the ball field on Beechwood).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by reformed roadie
    Oh... for Frick. Don't miss the Iron Gate (trailhead behind the ball field on Beechwood).
    Love the Iron Gate! A wooded drop, teeter, berms and a small jump with a a flow thats fun for beginners to the freaks of nature doing 40 mph all in a city park.... you have to watch for walkers and there dogs but the Gate has a great line of site almost everywhere.

Played hooky today due to the weather, Frick in the morning and North park till 5... going to hurt in the morning.

my fun has a hurting
    the nice thing about the gate is that i can rail it on a rigid 29er and somehow still have just as much fun on my 8" fr rig. its great for tuning your setup too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    yeah horseback was nice too and then they invented the model t...how badass was that? i mean, don't live the past forever....just because you guys don't have a 29er doesn't mean that you need to hate all over them...

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TimTimo
    yeah horseback was nice too and then they invented the model t...how badass was that? i mean, don't live the past forever....just because you guys don't have a 29er doesn't mean that you need to hate all over them...
    I wasn't hating, but I also didn't want to give others the idea you need a 29'er to ride the park, because you dont.

mtbr member
    I dig both 29ers and 26 inch wheels.............. the old school sizes are cool in a retro kinda way

I wasn't hating, but I also didn't want to give others the idea you need a 29'er to ride the park, because you dont.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    is there stunts through out frick?

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Roach
    is there stunts through out frick?
    yeah nothing to bad for the most part but there are some cool bridges, log piles, drops, and berms.

Most of the really 'gnar' stuff has go arounds on it.

here is a TR from last fall

[QUOTE = Bushwacker]

My bike went on a ride today

its felt kinda of like this

My bike when on ride today on some appalachian singletrack

my bike stare down the roots

Jumps over small logs

but my bike like bigger logs

along with teeter toters

My bike was scared of the log rides

took a tumble on this a frame

but rather enjoyed this one(can you say old growth)

lucky for me I got to go along

thanks you my bike

[/QUOTE]

Members who have read this thread: 0