Pittsburg Area- Mtbr.com

Thread: Pittsburg Area

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Pittsburg Area

I have to head to Pittsburg on business and will likely have 1-2 days to MTB during travel between NYC and PITT.

Looking for recs on where to ride either in the Pittsburg area or along the way off of 78/76 or 80/28.

I've never ridden this far West in PA.

Thanks in advance!

Sand Yeti

mtbr member
    What kind of riding do you like to do? There are definitely some good options on either of those routes in from NYC but they all sort of have their own distinct flavors.

Also, I live east of Pittsburgh so never really make it that way for my rides but some of the stuff right around Pittsburgh is very well thought of, just FYI.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I will have my 150/160 bike with and prefer trails best suited my bike. If given the option I prefer trail/enduro to xc, love the downhills but not afraid to pedal or climb.

Hit Glen Park this spring and Redding, Mt. Penn (some others in the area) a few years back. Otherwise haven't ridden too much in PA.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sand Yeti View Post
    I will have my 150/160 bike with and prefer trails best suited my bike. If given the option I prefer trail/enduro to xc, love the downhills but not afraid to pedal or climb.

Hit Glen Park this spring and Redding, Mt. Penn (some others in the area) a few years back. Otherwise haven't ridden too much in PA.

Thanks!
    If you are coming in on I76 I always like to suggest Laurel Mountain, but it's where I do most of my riding and I am biased. If you are considering that I am happy to give you some specific trail recommendations. 7 Springs park is pretty decent too and more or less in that same vicinity.

Moraine State Park would be an option if you're coming from I80 -- it's pretty unique but in my experience would be somewhat helpful to have someone with you that knew the trails.

And again, when you get around Pittsburgh people definitely like North Park and Frick. And there's plenty of other places I am not mentioning but those are the ones that come to mind.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Thanks appreciate the input, will look in to the areas mentioned and circle back with any questions.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Raystown lake trails are on the way and are worth a day or 2 as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    What days are you looking at coming into town? Weve got a crew here around North Park that rides Thursday nights that you might want to join up with. We usually end up hitting the freeride park a couple times and generally ride the chunkier downhill trails.

+1 for Raystown though. Ive lived here 4-1/2 years now and just got out there last weekend for the first time, and the trails are a blast.

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    your bike is basically overkill almost anywhere in the burgh.

Laurel Mountain is extremely flat rock garden and I doubt you will like it if you want to go up to go down down.

Frick right in Pittsburgh actually has some couple hundred foot downhill that are pretty good

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I will likely hit Raystown while in route during the day Monday, then then hit something either in the Pitt area Thursday or on my return route. Don't plan to ride any of the nights while in town as my time will be spoken for. Thanks for the head's up though?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    @Bushwackerin thanks for the info. May just seek out better trails while in route between NYC and PITT.