Thread: PHL Trail Crew

bigger than you.

PHL Trail Crew

PHL Trail Crew-trailday.jpg
    If you're interested in having a voice and building trails in Philadelphia, I highly recommend joining the PHL Trails Group: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!fo...l-trails-group We've put together a mountain bike oriented group of volunteers to do trail work primarily at the Belmont Plateau, Cresheim Trails and the Philadelphia Pumptrack at Parkside Evans, but will also include opportunities with the Friends of the Wissahickon and Schuykill Nature Center, as relevant. Building trails is a terrific way to give back to the sport, as well as provide input on the types of trails and features that you would like to ride. We have an event coming up tomorrow at the Belmont Recycling Center, rerouting an unsustainable fall line trail and building a bench cut trail on the side of a hill, and on Thanksgiving weekend, we will be cutting new trail with the Friends of the Cresheim Trails, building what looks to be a fun trail with drops, bowls, jumps and rollers above the Grotto off of Cresheim Valley Drive. Our email volume will be light and strictly focussed on trail work and identifying problem areas on our local trails.
    Last edited by Gigantic; 11-11-2016 at 01:09 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    What trail is that at Belmont? One of the fire road trails, Parachute?

Also, the Grotto, where is that? I am familiar with the trails, just not the Grotto.

Edit, got it.

Can you describe in more detail what sort of jumps, bowls etc are planned for the Grotto? Is this going to be a loop, like a pump track, or is it more of a flow trail section?

bigger than you.
    It's the trail from the recycling center, down to the purple tire bridge, aka the "auger trail." Next spring will be the 2nd phase and we will move the creek crossing upstream near the fire road and do away with the bridge.

The grotto is a stone area off of Creshiem Valley Drive. Last year, we installed 2 sets of stairs and a bench atop it. There will be a loop up atop that plateau area and the trail may or may not have a similar feel to the new PSK trail by the pumptrack, albeit with different terrain. Unfortunately, I can only speak in vague details, as I was not involved with laying this trail out, but DanMer can elaborate when he checks in.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jochribs View Post
    Can you describe in more detail what sort of jumps, bowls etc are planned for the Grotto? Is this going to be a loop, like a pump track, or is it more of a flow trail section?
    The new trail will form a loop with the existing trail and travel along the ridge line for several hundred yards. There are existing depressions and bowls in the ground which will be used as features. Some of them will work as drops and perhaps another is big enough to be ridden. The trail will go through some exposed bedrock.

Essentially the trail will be similar to the existing trails with a some more aggressive features as the terrain permits. It is possible that there may be some logovers, log rides, or jumps like the one on the main loop but that depends on availability of logs and sawyers.

There will be work days November 20 and on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday during Thanksgiving weekend.

On the 20th we will fix the log jump which someone tossed into the woods again. We'll spike it in and hopefully that will be the end of the jump vandalism. I also want to finish the log ride on the main loop near the intersection with the trail that heads to Germantown Avenue. And there are two more logs that might be good candidates for log rides. Thanksgiving weekend we will build the new trail.

Approximate path of new trail.
    PHL Trail Crew-grotto-loop.png

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Some more details on the new trail (the other post was getting a bit long). The trail was flagged with input from OldManBike and another rider who enjoys drops and jumps as well as other riders. We will make this section as feature filled as we can given the terrain (riding a contour line along a ridge), the weather, and the availability of volunteers.

These projects are volunteer driven, people suggest things and I try to figure out how to make it happen. The bench atop the rock outcropping was suggested by a first-time volunteer. The boardwalk in the muddy section was suggested by a nearby park user who was tired of riding/walking through mud. Come on out, help build the trail, and make some suggestions.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I think me and the fam will be able to help out tomorrow. Any tools I should bring? Have shovels, rakes, mattocks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I live pretty close to Cresheim Trail. So I can probably help out quite a bit. I generally don't ride it much...the dog crap is out of hand.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jochribs View Post
    I think me and the fam will be able to help out tomorrow. Any tools I should bring? Have shovels, rakes, mattocks.
    The Belmont folks will provide tools but no harm in bringing some tools if you want.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Where and what time are you meeting on the 20th for the cresheim work?

bigger than you.
    we're meeting here at 9: https://goo.gl/ZDtPYc the trail work will probably go until about 3:00