philly trail conditions for 3-11/3-12- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

philly trail conditions for 3-11/3-12

hey knuckles,

i know it is a beautiful weekend comin up but on my ride through wissy yesterday i noticed lots o mud and soft spots on the inn side especially up where the trail crosses wises mill.

i know it will ber nice but if you want to do a good deed for the wissahickon trails stay off them (at least this section) for the weekend till they have a chance to firm up a bit.

if i were mountainbiking, i'd head to belmont!

do what you will with this advice, and please let us know if you've ridden the wiss lately and think i am full of sh!t.

Trail eater
    your full of sh!t anyway

electric
    Climb like a goat, descend like a banshee

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by electric mustard
    your full of sh!t anyway

electric
    hey, we need to go over to belmont sometime! not this weekend as i am busy racing with the messengers but maybe next weekend.

Trail eater
    yeah, anytime max. I like belmont too. Next weekend should be OK. Have fun on your messenger ride.
    Climb like a goat, descend like a banshee

Sep 2005
    hey electric mustard
    i am thinking of going sat or sun....
    then mexican ofcourse

mtbr member
    I road today did the hole south loop. I dident see mutch mud at all. Its in grate shape.

Feb 2006
    as of 3/13 in the eve Wiss in decent shape. I road for about 2hours all around the Inn down across the bridge and back up the other side and it was fairly clean. A few soft spots- but 95% was hard packed and at least half of the soft spots had an easy route around them.

hopefully we dont get to much rain over the next few days

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by KraimDawg
    at least half of the soft spots had an easy route around them.
    not menat as a dig, but please don't ride around the soft spots it makes the trails even wider than they arleady are...

i really wonder if all of you who say the trails were "great" think all the spots where there are giant mudholes and where the steep climbs are getting nicely eroded are all part of the "great" part of riding at wissahickon?

grumble grumble, i want less freakin rain so we can all ride wherever we want whenever...

Feb 2006
    sorry about that- I just didnt want to damage the trail in the soft spots.

everything that I rode was hard pack, for the most part.. non of the climbs that I was on yesterday where by any means a face of mud or close to that. I saw it pretty muddy past the road so I turned around and didnt ride there.

does anyone know what it looks like today(3/14)? I know we got some rain last night, but I have no idea how much at all.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by KraimDawg
    sorry about that- I just didnt want to damage the trail in the soft spots.
    no worries at all. the theory goes it is better to ride though the soft spots then widen the trail.. but his theory applies to singletrack which is virtually non-exisitant in wissy anyway.

it just generally isn't good form to take the round about way when a perfectly good line already exsits. does that make sense?

it is particularly bad at wissy on some of the steeper climbs where people ride the shoulders or make entirely new routes (like on the steep climb/descent right south of the golf course) cause the trail has gotten "too hard".... to those idiots i say suck it up try to ride the hard sh!t; it is how we get better. if i can do it on my singlspeed so can you

as for wissy conditions: i myslef would hold off another day. today is nice and windy so that should help but i can't help but imagine parts are still real muddy from all that rain on sunday.

and FYI Kraim: if you get to know belmont, it is usually a good ride when wissy is too muddy. it really does drain better and the tight singletrack over there is much less prone to deep ruts and erosion. it is a tricky place to figure out on your own however...

Members who have read this thread: 0