philly shops?- Mtbr.com

Thread: philly shops?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

philly shops?

looking to recommend a reputable shop to a friend in the philly area (i'm in atl). he wants to spend around $1200 for a mtn bike, so no exclusively boutique-brand shops or super low-end shops, if either exist in the area.

i realize philly and the surrounding area covers a vast expanse, but if the shop is really great i am sure he will travel. i would.

so, what's it going to be?

thanks all...

iride.

Hoopy Frood

There are lots of good shops

but my definition of good might be different from your friend's.

Some helpful information:

Is he in Philadelphia or in the suburbs? If not in the city, it might be helpful to know where he is as some shops might be closer than others

What type of riding is he interested in? Some shops cater to specific styles of riding so this would help narrow it down,

Is he looking for a shop which will have extensive fitting expertise?

Is he planning on using the shop for maintenance on the bike or is he just buying it there and wrenching on it himself?
    I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. - Thomas Jefferson

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Knapp's in Trenton, NJ...worth the ride....

Knapp's in Trenton, NJ is a great shop. They carry Specialized, Giant and Gary Fisher. Pete, the owner, is a great customer service guy and they have some leftovers, which he will deal on. I highly recommend dealing with Pete.

www.knappscyclery.com

The shop is just a couple of minutes over the Route 1 bridge into NJ. Well worth the trip.

Closer to Philly, try Guy's in Feasterville, PA.

Quote Originally Posted by iridetitus
    looking to recommend a reputable shop to a friend in the philly area (i'm in atl). he wants to spend around $1200 for a mtn bike, so no exclusively boutique-brand shops or super low-end shops, if either exist in the area.

i realize philly and the surrounding area covers a vast expanse, but if the shop is really great i am sure he will travel. i would.

so, what's it going to be?

thanks all...

iride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    There was also this recent thread from a few month ago:

What's up with Bike Line stores changing names?

Inbred Homebrewer
    Check out Wheel Wright Bike Shop in Abington (a short drive north of the city on 611). Good selection (Haro, Jamis, Norco, Intense, and others). Owner Miko Wright will set your friend up right.

http://www.awwbs.com/index.htm

(don't let the site fool you. The site's out-of-date and a bit of a mess, but the shop is worth a visit)
    "mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004

Two to check out...

Bicycle TheRxapy (therapy) in Philly. Talk to Lee. Wissahickon Cycles as well. Neither will steer you wrong.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    eveyone will recommend a different shop.

for me it's trophy bikes... they are honest guys not out to sell you more than you need. they ain't got the fanciest bling-mobiles but will sell you a good bike a a good price, no hype, no pressure...

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004

I also know PLENTY of people who come from Philly to go to...

I actually live out on the eastern edge of Lancaster County. Near the Chester Co. border. There's a shop out here called, "Shirks." Actually, you may have seen the write up on it in Bike magazine. Shirk draws people from MILES around. Not uncommon to have whole road teams come out on a Sat. from the Main Line and areas in and around Philly. This Mennonite shop is honest, TONS of parts (New, used, old, and hard to find.) and has one of the largest used selections (the whole upstairs) that I've ever seen. Ask around. I guarantee that most people that you talk to have heard of Shirks. Worth the short hop out the PA Turnpike to the Morgantown exit. Then, only 15 min more west on Rt. 23. Might be worth the drive. Get a bike, and hit French Creek State Park on the way home!
    Yes. I agree. There are plenty of good ones...and, fortunately, only a few not-so-good ones out there. Stop in, say Hello, see if anything "Clicks". Kind of like dating, actually. You may have to look around until you find a good one. But, just like I'm glad that I have my wife, I'm also glad that I have Shirks close by.
    Good luck to you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    thanks all...

a great start to helping a newb get into our sport. congratulate yourselves and go out for a ride.

iride.

mtbr member
    if you are in the city, Bicycle Therapy is a great shop. Lee won't steer you wrong.
    Reign Skate

Members who have read this thread: 0