Philly bike race nomore- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Philly bike race nomore

Don’t know if any one cares or of you know. The US Pro championship has been moved probably never to return.

http://velonews.com/news/fea/9166.0.html

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I almost cried when I read the news. I live within a whisker of Kelly Drive where the race would pass multiple times during the laps. I really looked forward to the race every year. As did most of East Falls, where I live and Manayunk. The racers would be here all week and they would ride the River trail just like I normally do. Seeing them whiz by easily at 22mph chatting is just as inspiring as seeing them cruise at 32mph. You could even draft them for a while until they tired of you and showed you why they are professionals.
    The race itself was very well organized and was very well attended. It's too bad. Our loss is someone elses gain. I don't know if another US race will have the history and success. Lance Armstrong, Davis Phinney, Nelson Vails, Fred Rodriguez, George Hincapie and numerous other great riders raced on these streets. I'll cherish the memories.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    It will be dissappointing if it goes away. It was well run and very well attended.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Stupid move...

Wow... that sucks. One of the main reasons the US Pro Champs was so well recieved is the unique environment Philly has to offer. I can't image that Greenville SC could offer an even remotely similar experience. Between "The Wall" in Manayunk, Strawberry Mansion, and the start/finish at the Art Museum, you have a pretty compelling place for a bike race. All that right smack in the middle of the 5th (don't quote me on that) largest city in the country.

Plus, in Philly you got a lot more casual observers coming out to the race who simply lived in the neighborhood and figured what the heck. I'd imagine that race attracted a large number of new people to the sport (cycling in general, road and mountain). It's a shame USA Cycling, and the new race organizers Medalist by association, don't see the value in that.

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by pulser
    Don’t know if any one cares or of you know. The US Pro championship has been moved probably never to return.

http://velonews.com/news/fea/9166.0.html

Members who have read this thread: 0