Philly Bike Expo- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Philly Bike Expo

Anyone else going?

Harlan is leading an urban MTB ride on Saturday, I think I'll head down on that day for the expo because my friends want to do that ride. I do too, but BikeSnobNYC is speaking on Sunday and I can't do both days!

Philly Bike Expo

mtbr member
    Where is the Urban ride going ?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    "Urban exploration to the trails of Lemon Hill, the Boxer Trail, and the new trails of the Belmont. We will swing by the Philadelphia Pumptrack, before heading home.
    2hrs at an easy pace. Trail difficulty varies, but no one will be dropped. Maps will be provided for anyone who wants to voluntarily bail.

Date: Saturday, November 8th
    Time: 2:00PM
    Location: Pennsylvania Convention Center, Broad Street Entrance"

mtbr member
    Gonna try my best to be there, can we bring our own bikes inside before/after the ride ?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by lpranger467 View Post
    Gonna try my best to be there, can we bring our own bikes inside before/after the ride ?
    I've never been but check the website, I think they have secure bike parking

mtbr member
    Thanks much

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I'm going to try and make it. I've never rode these trails. I usually ride alone (PennyPack, Neshaminy, CoreCreek), but I'd like to give these trails a go with people who know them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I've totally never been to them, but since I'm driving down to check out the expo I figure I'd give it a go. If Harlan is leading it should be a good time.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I don't know Harlan, but i'll take your word on him.

bigger than you.
    I'll probably go; I worked on a lot of the new Belmont trails, in many ways, they're a little bit of a break from classic Belmont, almost "flow" trails, even. The Pump Track crew are taking over construction of the last mile or so of connector trails and are vowing to make it even more flow oriented. I'm not sure what I think about that, as I've come to prefer the Walt style that comprises most of the Belmont, but more trails is more trails.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    I've come to prefer the Walt style that comprises most of the Belmont....
    I am really glad to read this, and hope other folks will see it this way too.

bigger than you.
    Quote Originally Posted by jochribs View Post
    I am really glad to read this, and hope other folks will see it this way too.
    The classic Belmont style is hard to ride. At first, it pissed me off; i hated it. At the same time, Belmont is 5 miles from my house, half the distance of Wiss or Pennypack so it became my default riding jawn. I kept riding there and eventually, i learned to love the logs and impossibly twisty sequences @ mouse & Edgely Ultimate. Riding with the weekly MTB Fightclub crew upped my skills and fitness exponentially, too. It still pisses me off, but that only motivates me to hit it harder and as a result, there are only 2, maybe 3 logs and obstacles there that I struggle with. I'd hate to see the trails there dumbed down for the sake of accessibility; i'd rather see them maintained with the challenges intact.

The conventional wisdom is that Wissahickon is Philly's Crown Jewel of Mountain Biking, i'd posit that it's actually Belmont. In this day of IMBA Trail Solutions® flow trails being built all over the place, you won't find many, if any trails like it in public parks, anywhere.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Totally, Gigantic. Belmont is unlike anywhere else. That I've been atleast. I remember at first you were so sick of the log overs etc. there, but recently I read a post that you felt that it actually had grown on you and I was really glad to read that.

I think there needs to be Walt Trail Solutions.