Philadelphia Live 8 (OT)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Philadelphia Live 8 (OT)

Anyone planning on riding down the bike path to check out the sea of humanity on Saturday? I figured I might take a cruise down as it would be an easy way in and, most importantly, out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I was planning to check it out, will be great for people watching.

Hadn't thought of riding in, SEPTA seems very convenient, take to 30th St Station, walk across the river and then five blocks north on 22nd or 23rd St, and you're smack in the heart of it all.

Freshly Fujified

Easy in/out??

I don't know that there will be such a thing as an easy way in or out. Overflow from the event may well make it difficult to walk, let alone ride a bike as you approach Eakins Oval. Good luck and let us know how things go.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

in the getto

nuts

I'll be making every effort to get out of the city on that day. Maybe a ride at Gloucester College. Or a day at the mall
    it's a big sh*t sandwich and were all gonna have to take a bite

Inbred Homebrewer

Seriously

Quote Originally Posted by toe-knee
    I'll be making every effort to get out of the city on that day. Maybe a ride at Gloucester College. Or a day at the mall

I'll be spending the entire weekend in upstate New York, lounging riverside at my gf's grandmother's place and I couldn't be happier about it. Live 8 is going to be *insane*. Has anyone else heard the estimated person-to-port-a-toilet ratio?

3000:1

Not a typo.

Think about that for a second.

SEPTA, highways, bike paths, you name it. All will be, at very least, uncomfortably crowded w/ delays out the wazooo.

Maybe some enjoy crowds of that size, but not me. Couldn't pay me to go.
    "mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

mtbr member
    That's exactly why I want to check it out. I can watch the madness from a safe distance on my circa 1986 Bianchi and then roll on home whenever I feel like getting out.

Plus I wouldn't want to miss the Philadelphia Port-o-Potty Riots of 2005.

tlg
    (enter witty phrase here)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stick
    I'll be spending the entire weekend in upstate New York, lounging riverside at my gf's grandmother's place and I couldn't be happier about it. Live 8 is going to be *insane*. Has anyone else heard the estimated person-to-port-a-toilet ratio?

3000:1

Not a typo.

Think about that for a second.
    Hmmmm, perhaps I should head down with a couple cases of Depends and portable urinals:

Could make a good profit.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Of course I'm going, it's only the biggest event Philly has hosted in over 20 years. I plan on riding down Kelly drive and locking my bike up near the boathouses. The train stations will be so jammed . I have a Huffy I've been saving for just such an occasion, it has one gear, the brakes barely work, but if it's not there when I get back I won't give a crap.

mtbr member
    Note to self: Spare parts for my single speed huffy available Saturday at Boathouse Row.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Well technically it's not supposed to be single speed, but the cables/deraiullers are so rusty that they don't move.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I really doubt the train stations will be jammed up all day. It's starting at 12:00 noon, and there's no reason everyone will arrive at the same time. There are no tickets required, it's setup so people can come and go any time at will.

The city has actually thought this through (hard to believe, I know), there are multiple means of approach (regional rail, subway, bus, car, walk, and of course bike), from multiple directions on a wide open venue (BF Parkway) with many extrance and exit points (the side streets between the Art Museum and Logan Square) . Something like 80k or 90k people live in the immediate center city zone, plus another 400K in the neighborhoods within one mile (IIRC). People chose to live in center city for exactly these kinds of cultural events.

I believe they expect app. four times the number of people in the center city area as on a normal weekday. A normal weekday can hardly be described as jammed, even with the 'in' and 'home' commutes all clustered around the same time each day.
    Last edited by XCoalMiner; 06-30-2005 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Changed time

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Has anybody seen an actual schedule of what time the different acts are supposed to go on?? This is the one thing I can't find.

mtbr member
    Live 8 lineup , minute-by-minute

12:14: Black Eyed Peas

12:33: Bon Jovi

1:00: Destiny's Child

1:16: Kanye West

1:30: Will Smith

1:56:Toby Keith

2:13: Dave Matthews Band

2:40: Alicia Keys

2:52: Def Leppard

3:10: Linkin Park and

Jay-Z

3:56: Sarah McLachlan

4:11: Maroon 5

4:34: Keith Urban

4:48: Jars of Clay

5:00: Rob Thomas

5:21: Stevie Wonder
    Times and artists are subject to change, and times are approximate

Dirt Whore
    I went down for a few hours, took the train in from Conshohocken around 12:00, watched will smith, toby kieth and DMB, then headed to the bar to beat the heat.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Ride home was bad...

SEPTA: System just couldn't cope.

The ride in was uneventful, but the ride home was testing the system's limits. I was on a train made up of ten cars, (only time that ever happened) and it was standing room only in all ten.

Dirt Whore
    Quote Originally Posted by XCoalMiner
    SEPTA: System just couldn't cope.

The ride in was uneventful, but the ride home was testing the system's limits. I was on a train made up of ten cars, (only time that ever happened) and it was standing room only in all ten.

I could not believe they did not run more trains, so many people probably did not pay becuase the trains were so packed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Yeah , I heard Suburban Station was spilling out onto the roads and had two hour waits. Good thing I rode down, it was a pretty good atmosphere, I wasn't too worried about my bike being gone when I got back. It was eay to find a place to lock it near some cops. I warned you guys that the trains would be jammed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    i just wanted to say: the event was well planned and i didn't have a single problem navigating it by bike. i was soo happy to be able to just: zip in on kelly drive, zip around to check sh!t out, and in two hours when i got bored zip right back out. i figured me and my girlfirend would be forced off the bikes by the crowds and would have to walk them around all day, NOPE.

i commute to work by bike (amongst other reasons) just to avoid septa. did anyone really think they were finally gonna get their sh!t together for this?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Agreed, it was really well planned. I had zero problems riding in and out on my bike via Kelly Drive. I was wishing I had ridden my better bike because it seemed safe also. I was worried about locking up a nicer bike, but after being there I don't think it would have been a problem at all. It really went off much smoother and was way more peaceful than I expected. I think they made 9-10 arrests among 800,00-900,000 people. That's pretty amazing.