PGH shops, best selection?- Mtbr.com
    Nice no rass

PGH shops, best selection?

Looking for a shop with large selection for bike shopping. Gatto seems to have large inventories. Is there something else I'm missing? Looking at affordable hard tails like Specialized, Giant, etc, not the high end stuff like Santa Cruz etc. We don't seem to have much selection out here in Greensburg so I guess I have to go to Mville/pgh to shop & test ride/fit.

Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005

Dirty Harry's

Quote Originally Posted by Too Rass Goat
    Looking for a shop with large selection for bike shopping. Gatto seems to have large inventories. Is there something else I'm missing? Looking at affordable hard tails like Specialized, Giant, etc, not the high end stuff like Santa Cruz etc. We don't seem to have much selection out here in Greensburg so I guess I have to go to Mville/pgh to shop & test ride/fit.
    I'd go to Dirty Harry's in Verona. Great shop, really cool vibe too. Gatto's is good too but I prefer Dirty Harrys and if I want bling or real hard to find items I like SpeedGoat in Laughlin Town out east on 30 (real close to Greensburgh)

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Speedgoat

You dont need to go that far. Try speedgoat in Laughlintown. Less than a 1/2 hour drive from Greensburgh. If you are not familiar-Lauglintown is just past Ligonier on RT 30 at the base of Laurel mt. They are mostly a boutique shop but do carry Giant. Ph#238-7181. They built my bike for me and I couldnt have been happier.

mtbr member
    I second Dirty Harry's. Good selection of middle-of-the-road bikes from Gary Fisher and Trek to high end stuff like Santa Cruz and Titus. Staff is knowledgable, and they ride - often.

Friend of mine just got 2 bikes from Speedgoat, and is very happy with them. I like looking when we ride out at Laurel Mountian.

Pgh Pro's new shop is supposed to be nice, haven't seen it yet.

TRM's not too bad either.

Nice no rass
    Rode Laurel Mtn this weekend and stopped by Speed Goat on the way down...closed til the 4th for Interbike

Nice no rass
    Wow, the majority of shops around here just plain suck!

I won't name any names but many of these small shops are friendly and all but don't know jack squat about what they are selling.

I hit Speed Goat, VERY nice guys, unfortunately I'm not in the market for 2 $2500+ bikes. Their sales niche is above what I'm looking for, but I won't hesitate for a second to take repairs and upgrade business to them. They know their stuff.

Gonna be in the 'Burgh in a week or so and I plan on hitting both Dirty Harry's and Gatto. Most likely we'll be buying something from them as they have inventory and (hopefully) staff that even knows what frame sizes the companies they sell come in. So I'm narrowed down to buying Specialized, Trek, GF, Giant, Kona or Cannondale basically.

I'd like to look hard at Marin, but the only guy around here who sells them doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground and he's the most knowledgeable of his entire crew

I'm hoping Dirty Harrys is all that. I need a good, knowledgeable shop I can drop about $1800 in for 2 bikes

Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005

Dirty Harrys' should fit the bill

Wow, the majority of shops around here just plain suck!

I won't name any names but many of these small shops are friendly and all but don't know jack squat about what they are selling.

I hit Speed Goat, VERY nice guys, unfortunately I'm not in the market for 2 $2500+ bikes. Their sales niche is above what I'm looking for, but I won't hesitate for a second to take repairs and upgrade business to them. They know their stuff.

Gonna be in the 'Burgh in a week or so and I plan on hitting both Dirty Harry's and Gatto. Most likely we'll be buying something from them as they have inventory and (hopefully) staff that even knows what frame sizes the companies they sell come in. So I'm narrowed down to buying Specialized, Trek, GF, Giant, Kona or Cannondale basically.

I'd like to look hard at Marin, but the only guy around here who sells them doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground and he's the most knowledgeable of his entire crew

I'm hoping Dirty Harrys is all that. I need a good, knowledgeable shop I can drop about $1800 in for 2 bikes
    I think Dirty Harrys will be just what you are looking for. Friendly and knowledgeable staff and a wide selection of bikes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Too Rass Goat,

don't rule out the goat. chris and beth are great people, would that i lived closer.

i picked up my yeti from them for a cool $1000. you can and will find something there if you have the time to look.

gattos and dirty harry are also well reputed, if you can't get anywhere with the goat

Rider of Bikes

Dirty Harry's

I'd also suggest Dirty Harry's. Good vibe, and a great shop. They've always treated me well.
    dirtyharrys.net
    http://dirtyharrys.net

mtbr member
    Might want ot give indiana cycling a shot. Located in Indiana Pa wich isnt too far from where you are. Cannondale, Giant and many others.

Nice no rass
    I'll keep them in mind. Tomorrow I'll be in the Burgh, so I plan on hitting Dirty Harry's, Bike Tech and Gatto. That should cover options from Cannondale, Giant, Trek, GF, Jamis, Klein, Specialized and Kona. I'm not really the problem, everyone has bikes to fit me (19-20"). It's the wife, at 5-2, 15" is just a touch too large, 13" is too small. Gonna try some 14" models from Trek WSD, Kona, Giant and I believe Jamis and hope they fit better.

mtbr member
    I'll keep them in mind. Tomorrow I'll be in the Burgh, so I plan on hitting Dirty Harry's, Bike Tech and Gatto. That should cover options from Cannondale, Giant, Trek, GF, Jamis, Klein, Specialized and Kona. I'm not really the problem, everyone has bikes to fit me (19-20"). It's the wife, at 5-2, 15" is just a touch too large, 13" is too small. Gonna try some 14" models from Trek WSD, Kona, Giant and I believe Jamis and hope they fit better.
    If it's not too much trouble, post who you liked the most and why. Don't necessarily need to bash anyone else, just interested in seeing what other people think about the shops around here. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Ambridge bike shop is about 30 minutes north of Pittsburgh, they have a pretty good selection and excellent service, I've bought 3 bikes there and have never been dissappointed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

TRM/Trek Of PGH

has anyone been to these stores yet?
    I have been a customer of TRM for years they are great.
    good riders, and the new shop (trek of Pgh) is amazing. i have been to several other shops in the area over time, but I think these two have the best to offer in selection and customer service. Great guys.
    Check em out and see for yur self.
    Last edited by sir_rides_alot; 11-08-2005 at 12:36 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0