PA State Parks- Mtbr.com

Thread: PA State Parks

mtbr member

PA State Parks

Not sure if you all are aware of this page... PA*DCNR*-*Where

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Guideline...

...I hate when they do that: "Well go to this park, but you can't ride here, but right next door there are trails over there" Or this park has 2 miles of trail... Oh joy! Just kidding...

There are so many more than they list, problem is understaffed, and no one to take care of trails on a state level, this past summer visited 7 parks in 9 days on vacation, One park, I didn't mind at all spening hours clearing trails from downed trees just to get a ride in, the next day! Heck it was vacation after all wasn't it?

Not complaiing DCNR does a pretty good job, and wind storms have no schedule, they just show, up blow down, and leave!

I would say my best area is Potter county, 8 state parks and a great base to camp and explore other nearby counties and riding areas, even going up into New York state!

Second would be below and around Pittsburg, mega trails and below is West Virginia: Davis, Big Bear Lake, and Maryland's: Savage forest areas!

Shout out your fav areas or park!

So gotta win the lottery, then we are all going riding and cooking out... LOL

mtbr member
    Would love to see an active, up to date website of trails in PA.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Add these...

...as I have mt biked at these parks more than once and either they have more trails than are listed or are not on the list. I always ask at the park office before riding so I wasn't just roaming around!

Pymatuning SP, in the park, out to dam, old railbed from Andover, Ohio.
    Prince Galtizn SP, more trails than they advertise going around the dam.
    Clear Creek SP, little known, but there are lots of trails there, out to Bear Town Rocks is super.
    Hills Creek SP, out and back around the lake.
    Kettle Creek SP, the ATV trails.
    Swatara SP, lots to ride, ck, "SAMBA" plus old Rt 72 also.
    Big Pocono SP the rail trail and the back of the mountain.
    Frances Slocum SP, more than listed.
    Parker Dam SP, the old mtb race course.
    Sinemahonning SP, the old rail bed from Rt 872 from Warton to the lake.
    Sizerville SP, old trail along the creek.
    Ole Bull SP, up from the park the old Kettle Creek and North Bend railbed.
    Lyman Run SP, the ATV trail that was the Gods country MTB race course.
    Denton Hill SP, the ATV trail and others by the ski area.
    Jacobsburg SP, lots to ride!
    Lackawanna SP more miles than listed.
    Trough Creek SP, the old abandoned lumber railroad trail to the tunnel.

There are more!

From what I have learned most park managers allow mt biking on XC ski trails, or special areas, but check at the park office before you ride!

Also Prompton Lake SP. All trails open to mt biking. IMHO, easily the best SP for mt biking in NEPA.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by jonz View Post
    also prompton lake sp. All trails open to mt biking. Imho, easily the best sp for mt biking in nepa.
    +1...

mtbr member
    Thanks!!! Have rode a few of these and Prompton, Swatra and Jacobsburg are on my list for this year from all the talk on the board!! Glad to have a few more to check out!

mtbr member

Trails in PA ?

Try this site ExplorePATrails.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Skip Jburg and hit up Nockamixon instead, if you want real trails instead of horsepoop covered ruts. If we're talking state parks.

new but eager :-)
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    Skip Jburg and hit up Nockamixon instead, if you want real trails instead of horsepoop covered ruts. If we're talking state parks.
    Nox needs to dry out. VMB has been working on rock armoring and bridges almost every Sunday.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2009
    A cool app for Pa state parks and forests can be found here ParksByNature Network- State Park Mobile Apps powered by Pocket RangerĀ®

The GPS feature is now free(I paid 3.99) and works very well if the state has the trail mapped. Of course not all trails are mapped yet DCNR is working on all the state parks to update the trails which will take time. But if the trail you are going to ride has the map, the app will show you exactly where on the trail you are. It works good at Nockamixon but the trails were mapped before they were all cleared so some trails are not on there, but it does show you where your at in the woods.

chaindriven
    Apr 2010

Ridley Creek S.P.

We have been forbidden to ride the trails in Ridley Creek S.P. in Delaware County. Word is that the Sierra club had something to do with the closures.

My question is:

Should we be exempt from paying state tax on the bikes and equipment if we are not allowed to use the "public" lands that we own and pay for with our tax dollars?

It is time for us to band together and fight for what is right. I am sure we can come to some kind of agreement to share the trails if we can deal with reasonable people. However, if a powerful group like the Sierra club is involved, we will have an uphill battle on our hands and it may get ugly. I wonder how the state would react if we got a slick lawyer who could make the argument that all state tax dollars that have been paid on mountain bikes and equipment has to be refunded unless trail access is granted.

Remember, one thing that will allow evil to prevail (the Sierra club being the evil one) is for good people do do nothing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Thanks for the great links

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Members who have read this thread: 0