PA Hunting season, please be informed and make the right call- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

PA Hunting season, please be informed and make the right call

Well it's that time of year where we're all still itchin to get out. Many of the riding spots we enjoy allow hunting, good or bad we should repsect hunters for their time in the woods. Give the trails a little break and let the hunters do what they love to do like we do. If your dying to still ride, get a road bike put a fixed gear on and work your legs till' they burn. Worst case throw slicks on the rig and have at it. Our buddy Rob(MASS overall winner in his category) rode 25 miles, then did a century and rode 25 miles back.......ON A MTN BIKE!!! That's how you place 2nd in 24 hr of adrenaline!!!!

Here are the season breakdowns and a few comments.

Since Christian Berg from the Morning Call recently wrote what i think was a free commercial for the jr hunting program, i thought i would start letting everyone know about the upcoming hunting season. I personally have had a problem with the OUTDOORS section being soley about hunting. Why; b/c i'm in the outdoors all year round and there is rarely stories, but i guess i have to write the mcall to ask more stories to be written. I really have never seen a writer be so promoting of only one small part of the outdoor scene. With that being said here is the lowdown on the hunting seasons. \
    -------------------------------------------------
    Many people who are not hunters are unaware of the many seasons which put hunters in the woods for their lawful hunting activities.

Starting October 1, there will be many different hunting activities going on in Pennsylvania; hunters will be:

Quietly sitting in tree stands, waiting for Deer
    Sitting with their backs to trees, calling in Wild Turkey
    Standing or slowly stalking Small Game

Some hunting activities require Blaze Orange Caps and Vests; others allow complete camo. Some hunters will have bows, some use shotguns, some use high-power rifles . . .
    It all depends on what game they are seeking.

"SAFE" means "absence of risk". You might consider doing your outdoor activity in areas where hunting is not allowed. We don't want anyone to interfere with lawful hunting activity. Neither do we want to read about someone being killed or injured while walking out there, enjoying the woods.

Recent PGC Regulation:
    IT IS UNLAWFUL for non-hunters to be present on State Game Lands from November 15 through December 15 inclusive without wearing at least a Fluorescent Orange hat, visible from 360 degrees (a vest or jacket of 250 sq. inches is of Safety Orange is recommended ). . .

BUT 11/15 to 12 /15 IS NOT THE ONLY "HUNTING SEASON"

HUNTING AND TRAPPING SEASONS, 2005 - 2006
    SQUIRRELS : Junior hunters, Oct. 8-14
    SQUIRRELS : Oct. 15-Nov. 26; Dec. 12-23 and Dec. 26-Feb
    RUFFED GROUSE: Oct. 15-Nov. 26, Dec. 12-23 and Dec. 26-Jan. 28
    RABBIT (Cottontail): Oct. 22-Nov. 26, Dec. 12-23 and Dec. 26-Feb. 4
    PHEASANT: Junior hunters Oct. 8-14
    PHEASANT: Oct. 22-Nov. 26 , Dec. 12-23 and Dec. 26-Feb. 4
    BOBWHITE QUAIL: Oct. 22-Nov. 26
    HARES (SNOWSHOE RABBITS) Dec. 26-31
    WOODCHUCKS (GROUNDHOGS): No closed season, except: Sundays, during the antlered & antlerless deer seasons; and until noon daily during the spring gobbler season.
    CROWS: July 1-Nov. 27 and Dec. 30-April 2, on Friday, Saturday and Sunday only
    STARLINGS AND ENGLISH SPARROWS: No closed season, except during the antlered and antlerless deer seasons and until noon daily during the spring gobbler turkey season.
    WILD TURKEY: Oct. 29-Nov. 19 (depending on the area).
    SPRING GOBBLER : April 29-May 27, 2006.
    SPRING GOBBLER : Junior hunters, April 22, 2006.
    BLACK BEAR (Statewide): Nov. 21-23.
    BLACK BEAR (special areas only) Nov. 28-Dec. 3.
    ELK : Nov. 7-12.
    ELK : Sept. 18-23, 2006.
    DEER, ARCHERY (Statewide) : Oct.1-Nov. 12 & Dec. 26-Jan. 14.
    DEER, ALL WEAPONS (Statewide): Nov. 28-Dec. 10.
    ANTLERLESS DEER (Statewide): Oct. 20-22. Junior and Senior License Holders, etc.
    DEER, ANTLERLESS MUZZLELOADER (Statewide): Oct. 15-22.
    DEER, ANTLERED OR ANTLERLESS FLINTLOCK (Statewide): Dec. 26-Jan. 14.
    DEER, Antlerless ( areas vary) : Dec. 12-23 and Dec. 26-Jan 28.
    COYOTES: No closed season.
    RACCOON & FOXES: Oct. 15-Feb. 18
    OPOSSUM, SKUNKS & WEASELS: No closed season, except for prior to noon during the spring gobbler season.
    BOBCAT: Oct. 15-Feb. 18.
    Not listed : Waterfowl and Migratory Game Bird seasons.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    TRAPPING SEASONS (Don't let your dog run unleashed)
    MINK & MUSKRAT: Nov. 19-Jan. 7.
    COYOTE, FOXES, RACCOON, WEASELS (etc) : Oct. 16-Feb. 18.
    BEAVER : Dec. 26-March 31, 2006
    BOBCAT : Oct. 16-Feb. 18.

As you can see, "Hunting Season" isn't just one month.
    Please be aware of these lawful hunting activities. You don't want to ruin a hunter's day - and he or she doesn't want you to be endangered.

IF YOU’RE OUT THERE, BE AWARE !
    . . . WEAR BLAZE ORANGE FOR SAFETY

610-533-0942
    [email protected]

my church is the woods

Thanks for the heads up

Do you know what the rules and regs are for riding in state parks and state forest this time of year? I know that they allow hunting there too..

mtbr member
    Your allowed to ride any state park/forest during hunting season as long as your riding on trails that are open to mtbing. Just use common sense and dont wear you favorite deer skin jersey.

Cyclovore

Don't fear the season

I always wear a blaze orange, mesh vest over my camelbak. Don't be afraid of riding where there are hunters. Like I tell my friend, who is scared of hunters, I'm no scientist, however, the odds of getting shot sitting in your living room are greater than moving through the woods at a gallop. Or some what similiar like 10 million to one.
    Bliss is thumping the prophet through the woods, as "Painkiller " wails through your phones. Ride a metal monster.

mtbr member
    check out http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/

you can download pdf maps of most state parks and forests. you can see where hunting is or is not allowed, trails, ect.

mtbr member
    most hunting lands private or public or special use are overseen by the pgc and all hunting rules apply. If you are out there you must have 250sq in of blaze orange. BUT locally we have 2 spots that don't allow hunting and 1 spot that has jr. hunting, so look for the signs, and even better contact the park or land manager for the info. it's a good way to be proactive and establish rapport.

my humble opinion: it's not about getting shot, it's about showing repsect to another group which depends on quiet etc. You may not like it, but they are there for only a short time. Whether you agree with hunting or not give a little back. find a park that doesn't allow hunting and enjoy. We may not get along, but take the higher road.

Cyclovore

respect

I understand hacks concerns about showing respect and hunting relying somewhat on quiet. I've ridden during hunting seasons since 95 and have encounterd several hunters. Every time I talk to them they are surprised to see me because they all say they never heard me. As a hunter myself, I have offered these guys invaluable information on where-abouts of game that they are pursuing. It seems that in my experience, it would be prudent to actually hunt off a mountainbike. I've gotten closer and seen more game aboard my bikes, than when I'm actually hunting. Pennsylvanias forests are vast and jungle like. Encounters with hunters are rare. The best thing you can do is offer a hunter a friendly hand. Tell them about that flock of turkeys that almost knocked you off your bike. That big buck that watched you ride by is only about 1/2 mile back that trail. Cooperation is the key to harmony. I've heard hunters complain more about ATV's and drunken hunters crashing through the woods. Never about a guy, in the cold,on a bike, trying to get a little exercise.
    Bliss is thumping the prophet through the woods, as "Painkiller " wails through your phones. Ride a metal monster.

Members who have read this thread: 0