Out-of-Towner..... South Mountain?- Mtbr.com
    H8 H8 H8

Out-of-Towner..... South Mountain?

Howdy.

I've got to go to Lehigh University for work in April. Is it worth bringing the
    bike to ride South Mountain?

I will be travelling with a colleague who will probably not want to sit in the
    parking lot at South Mountain for a few hours after work. Is it possible to
    ride from the Holiday Inn Express off of I-78 at exit 67 to South Mountain
    without getting killed?

Thanks for any info.

ZB
    Yeah, it's strange. But oh well.

NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007
    ABSOLUTELY!

While I haven't been there in a while, there is a Wendy's right by the exit, and the road right next to the wendy's snakes back to Lehigh's Goodman Campus (basically, the athletic campus). Once you are there, it's just a question of picking up the south mountain trails where it's convenient. Most people don't like to discuss the location of the trail heads publicly, though (because I guess the trails are technically off limits to anybody who isn't associated with the university). I like to think that I'm immune to that requirement as I've got a degree from Lehigh... which probably isn't the case but I think as long as you are respectful of the situation, nobody is going to bother you. Google "lehigh valley mountain bikers" to find the valley mountain bikers website, which will have more info.

Google Maps and Motionbased will get you all the info you really need.

H8 H8 H8
    Cool, thanks very much.

My company is giving Fritz Lab a bunch of money to use their
    ginormous press for a couple days, so I'll pretend that associates
    me with the University.... and tread lightly.

NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Broussard
    Cool, thanks very much.

My company is giving Fritz Lab a bunch of money to use their
    ginormous press for a couple days, so I'll pretend that associates
    me with the University.... and tread lightly.
    The "Baldwin"! It's pretty impressive (partly due to the fact that I have no clue how they got it in there... rumor is that they built Fritz around it). There is an even bigger compressive testing apparatus up at the mountain top campus, however I've never seen that one.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I would stop in and talk to the guys at Saucon Valley Bikes in Hellertown, they should be able to direct you towards a trailhead/provide you with some guidance. It is definitely worth bringing your bike along, you could even access the trails from the top of the mountain if you bring your bike with you and just let your friend drive home, and you could ride home later. Just be forewarned that the trails are not marked and connecting one trail head to another is tricky since they are pretty hidden. Make sure you try out the crazy bones/lungbuster/superman climb loop, its a pretty good workout and fun.

I'm more of a dog person

Salisbury

www.bikevmb.com is the website for Lehigh Valley MTB. I would drive a mile down the road to Salisbury (Walking Purchase Park) and ride those trails instead. Much better layout with trail markers and no problems with legality. Better ride too IMO.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Absolutely!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Sals can be accessed from the St. Lukes parking lot as well, right down the street from campus!

H8 H8 H8
    Cool, thanks guys.

So it sounds like the Salisbury trail is accessible by bike from the motel,
    and is more "legal"... I guess I'll check that out.

Ya'll holla if you ever need any Pisgah info !

Thanks,

ZB

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The Lehigh trails are closer to exit 67 on I-78, to get to Sals you would have to drive from there or ride up and over the first mountain then through Bethlehem. You can easily ride to a trailhead on the south side of the Lehigh trails from the exit 67 area. Plus as long as you stay pretty low key while in the Lehigh trail system no one should bother you, I have had Lehigh U Police drive by while I was parking or returning from a trip and they didn't even look twice.

NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tbooz
    I have had Lehigh U Police drive by while I was parking or returning from a trip and they didn't even look twice.
    Yeah. Honestly, I think the university considers non-student/faculty/staff mountain bikers to add to the "character" of the university. I think the only real reason they don't officially welcome outsiders if for liability purposes.

Members who have read this thread: 0