The OFFICIAL what trails are NOT icy thread!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Cool-blue Rhythm The OFFICIAL what trails are NOT snowy/icy thread!

SO I pretty much have nothing to offer to this aside from starting the thread, as all our trails (Mack, Gretna, etc..) are under ice as of today, January 16.

Anyone know any reasonably clear trails? White Clay? Brandywine?

Thanks in advance!

I'll try to post an update when ours clear up and as ours refreeze over, etc...
    Last edited by pointerDixie214; 01-24-2015 at 05:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Hopefully these two days of 40's will start it thawing out. Looks like a set of Dillingers may be in my future!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Man I sure hope so. This evening they were still solid. High tomorrow is 31... but Sunday... hopefully it doesn't warm up, rain, and then freeze all over.

Not a good sign if I am already sick of the elliptical and running and it's only mid-January. lol

mtbr member
    My brother, and a small crew rode in Gretna Thursday night, and said the trails they were on were not too bad actually.
    We rode Tuesday, and it was crunchy and icy in spots, but I didn't have any major problems on my Fat.
    I'm tempted to check out Swatty to see if it's bad still, at least it's a ride. Not an exciting ride, but a ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Hitting up moon lake or mtn top on sunday. Will post up conditions after the ride
    LOVE THE RIDE!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

The OFFICIAL what trails are NOT icy thread!

Yeah we may try Gretna then today. Lemme know how you guys fare.

Hopewell in Danville was sketchy in places Wed night (ice) but still rideable w/out studs. Planning to ride tomorrow morn again.

EDIT: Sunday morning (while still sub-32deg): some areas better, some worse. Everything's rideable but have to keep it in check on the downhills. With rain this afternoon though, who knows.....

(Tapa)
    Last edited by jonz; 01-18-2015 at 03:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    People riding SMB/Sals/SME/Nockamixon are reporting back with "icy" today.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pointerDixie214 View Post
    Yeah we may try Gretna then today. Lemme know how you guys fare.
    I just looked at Swatara an hour ago. Without studs, i would not even attempt it.

Gretna, two guys were out yesterday and said it was not fun, and quite dangerous.

mtbr member
    Id imagine Gretna would be with the off camber rock edges. Safe assumption Rocky Ridge would be the same?
    '93 Giant Sedona ATX custom
    '93 Giant Sedona AtX aero-edition
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by supersedona View Post
    Id imagine Gretna would be with the off camber rock edges. Safe assumption Rocky Ridge would be the same?

Someone on the SAMBA facebook page said Rocky Ridge was surprisingly decent....whatever that means

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Didnt get to moon lake but ended up hiking mtn top. I was surprised by the amount of snow still there but there was a group of about 8 riders going out and we saw several tracks already out there riding. Dont think it would have been too bad.
    LOVE THE RIDE!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Michaux - The fire roads are very icy but the trails are fine if you use a little caution.

mtbr member
    Isn't this what studded tires are for?
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Rays indoor in Cleveland has "NO ICE" as of 1/17/15!

Rolling on 650b
    As of Sat the 17th, moon lake was snow covered, but not icy. Rode it on a non-fat bike with no traction issues.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    As of Sunday 1/18/15 singletrack at Scotia in State College is good. Stay off the gravel roads, as the snow is packed tight by vehicles and icy.

Some sections of trail were a bit icy, but that is just in the track of where a fat bike must have ridden last week when it was slushy and is now glazed over. Trails were easily manageable on my trail bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Clipless- see I want to believe you but there is a bold lie in your post. Everyone knows you can't ride a non-fat bike in the snow.

Trails at Camp Mack were rideable for the most part as of yesterday. First climb was a little icy but fine beyond that. Trails were still snowy in parts but I too was able to have fun without a fat bike on them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by wi1trackrider View Post
    As of Sunday 1/18/15 singletrack at Scotia in State College is good. Stay off the gravel roads, as the snow is packed tight by vehicles and icy.

Some sections of trail were a bit icy, but that is just in the track of where a fat bike must have ridden last week when it was slushy and is now glazed over. Trails were easily manageable on my trail bike.
    +1 on icy range road. I fell hard on the ice early sunday morning out there. Good way to wake up for sure.
    Salsa El Mariachi SS
    Salsa Vaya
    Lurch Fatbike

mtbr member
    A buddy and I did 11 miles at Rocky Ridge yesterday and it was great! The trails are covered with snow and ice, but with the warmer weather the ice was very crunchy. We rode all of the regular trails, although I did shy away from some of the larger rock options when they looked sketchy. I'm beyond surprised at how well it rode, we didn't have a single incident with ice. When it gets back below freezing I bet it'll be all solid ice again. I attribute it to just hitting the conditions perfectly...which never seems to happen.

Rolling on 650b
    Did a night ride in Mt. Top on Tueday (1/20). Trails were snow covered and took a bit of an extra push to get through, but by all means very ridable. Starting to get icy in spots, but not enough to create any problems yet.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Trails at Mack last night were awesome. We'll see what today brings though...

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Went show shoeing today... REALLY wet snow, would be pretty awful to ride in it. Did you South East PA/DE/MD riders get as much snow? Thought about trying Brandywine tomorrow, but I don't want to make the drive unless I hear it's at least semi-rideable...

mtbr member
    I actually went to Swatara today.

Someone else was out before. One set of tracks, but this person only did A, and B.
    I did the entire loop except for D, going left. So, A, A2, B, C, A1. Wet snow, but me and Fatty loved it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Ended up having a blast at Mt. Gretna today. Got in 7 miles, hit pretty much everything but 4 and 15. Trail 10 was plowed to about an inch deep. Everything else was 6-8" deep. Dropped the psi to 12 in our 29x2.4s and it was perfect. Me and Skinny loved it.

mtbr member
    Anything possibly rideable by tomorrow?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

I'm going to at least try to ride MAck after work tonight. Almost certain it will be too deep but I drive right by it anyways. Rode in 6 inches on Sunday so here's to hoping I can do it again tonight. Lol

Will report back if I remember.

mtbr member
    Awesome. Please do if you can. I was planning to hit mack tomorrow. Last time I tried it was frozen solid couldn't ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Yeah it was pretty icy for like 5-6 days. I know it was rideable last week, as recently as Friday. And I know Gov Dick was rideable Saturday. But I am not sure if yesterday's snow rendered Camp Mack unrideable or not.

I think it's going to suck, but it's worth trying. I'll be sure to post up here.

mtbr member
    Thanks for keeping this up guys. I got a fatbike coming on Thursday and hope to take it out over the weekend.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by I_AM View Post
    Awesome. Please do if you can. I was planning to hit mack tomorrow. Last time I tried it was frozen solid couldn't ride.
    So I gave it a shot tonight. I managed to eek out about 4 miles. The initial climb from Pumping Station road up is actually the best part, since a couple hikers had walked through. Snow here was maybe 6 inches deep. As soon as Horseshoe trail turned off there were no more tracks. Snow was probably 8-10" deep in most places, and up for 12" deep everywhere else. It was slow going. lol

I think once a couple fat bikes ride through it'll be fine though. Although there was no one else there tonight buy me.

Here's my bike looking down Spring trail. This is where I stopped and turned around. lol

The OFFICIAL what trails are NOT icy thread!-image6.jpg

The OFFICIAL what trails are NOT icy thread!-image3.jpg

mtbr member
    I just plowed 5.75 miles at Swatara. Brutally difficult. It's "ridable", but it's not easy. I think I would have had a better workout in some ways on the trainer! There have not been many bike on it, and I actually liked it better when I was riding on A2 and down C and some of D, when there were no tracks.
    I hate winter.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Wife and I plowed 4 miles at Camp Mack tonight on our snowshoes. It's not rideable up from Pumping Station, down Spring and back up the road.

Funny thing was on part of Spring my tracks from last night were still the only ones. lol Saw some fat bike tracks where Sharp Valley meets Spring... they must have done that side so it should be ready to roll on skinny tires.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the updates pointer. I decided not to go as the snow in my front yard is like hard as a rock!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thanks for the updates pointer. I decided not to go as the snow in my front yard is like hard as a rock!
    That's when it's good! Just drop the pressure in your tires. lol

I'll probably be at Mack tomorrow after work if you are game.

mtbr member
    What time is that?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I get off work at 4, so I would probably be dressed and at Camp Mack around 4:30.

I probably won't ride too long, as I am planning on hitting White Clay Saturday and need to save my legs, which are now very sore from last night's snowshoe. haha

mtbr member
    Ah. I still don't have lights and have yet develope night vision so I probably can't do that late. I might try in the morning as I do have off.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Ah. I still don't have lights and have yet develope night vision so I probably can't do that late. I might try in the morning as I do have off.
    Thereís a chance I may have extra lightsÖ Iíll check to see if my wife is planning on joining me. If she isnít, Iíll have extra lights you are welcome to try.

If not, lemme know how the trails are in the morning. haha

mtbr member
    We'll be riding tonight checking it out in Gretna.

I still hate snow.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DethWshBkr View Post
    We'll be riding tonight checking it out in Gretna.

I still hate snow.
    Ditto
    '93 Giant Sedona ATX custom
    '93 Giant Sedona AtX aero-edition
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by supersedona View Post
    Ditto
    OK, so which one were you?!

It was rough out there. Downhill and flats aren't too bad, but the uphill stuff is brutal

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Looks like I'll be hitting Mack tonight a little later, like 5:30 with my wife...

Pretty happy I got those goofy looking bar mitts because it's gonna be chilly!

mtbr member
    Has anyone hit swatara lately? Snow is okay but I'm dont want to mess with it if it's a sheet of ice. Looks like we're supposed to get a couple of inches on Sunday in the Harrisburg area. Did a few miles on a walking trail by my house last night.
    The OFFICIAL what trails are NOT icy thread!-0129151937b.jpgThe OFFICIAL what trails are NOT icy thread!-0129151938.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dietz31684 View Post
    Has anyone hit swatara lately? Snow is okay but I'm dont want to mess with it if it's a sheet of ice. Looks like we're supposed to get a couple of inches on Sunday in the Harrisburg area. Did a few miles on a walking trail by my house last night.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0129151937b.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	959959Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0129151938.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	959960
    I did on Wednesday. Wasn't fabulous by any means! I had my tires up way too high though. I was wandering and slipping at first, then dropped the pressures to 4.5 rear and 4 psi front, and the bike handled like I was wallering in oatmeal, but it had traction....

mtbr member
    Pointer sorry I didn't update you. I think the snow was ok. I just couldn't climb in it though so that really frustrated me. So I probably did more hiking than biking. Only made it up to Eagle by fireroads and just went back down the fire roads. I miss dirt so bad. Going to kiss the dirt when I see it again.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Pointer sorry I didn't update you. I think the snow was ok. I just couldn't climb in it though so that really frustrated me. So I probably did more hiking than biking. Only made it up to Eagle by fireroads and just went back down the fire roads. I miss dirt so bad. Going to kiss the dirt when I see it again.
    Haha Rumor has it White Clay is good to go. We're heading out for there in a few minutes. Will report back.

At least it isn't as bad as last winter was (so far) (knock on wood).

mtbr member
    Can anyone comment on rocky ridge in york?
    Thanks much for the heads up on sawatara dethwsh!

mtbr member
    PointerDixie any word on white clay conditions?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jimarin View Post
    PointerDixie any word on white clay conditions?

Thanks
    White Clay where we were was ok in places and icy and VERY slick in others. I heard the Judge Morris side was a little better, but we gave up from being sick of 10 miles of ice before giving it a shot...

mtbr member
    Sounds like all riding is eff'd. Thanks for the update. This time of the year is when i seriously wonder why I stay north...

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Meh - I am going to ride Gretna today. Trust me, as someone who lived in the South without seasons for most of my life... this beats the heck out of that. lol

mtbr member

So the snow isn't whiter on the other side?

Yeah ill be out slipping and sliding somewhere too.

mtbr member

Hit some back yard trails, nice and packed. The 4-6" deep snow was easier than its been the last few days too. Awesome ride!

mtbr member
    Went out to Swatara today just to get out and ride.

Surprisingly more enjoyable than I was expecting. A2 and D were sketchier, but ride able. I did go down twice, but that's ok. I think on a 2.4" or narrower tire, it would be downright just not fun, because on the Farley it was decent, but hardly great.

We will be going to Virginia next week for a while, so I plan on getting in a few rides in actual dirt.

Regardless, all updates are out the window anyway with this most recent storm. I truly do hate winter.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Had a 12 mile long blast at Gretna today. On 2.4" tires. lol

Good luck down in VA. Whereabouts are you headed? Some great stuff down that way.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    The OFFICIAL what trails are NOT icy thread!-img_5168.jpg

Thankfully I was able to ride in the tracks the fatties plowed down. haha

No need for me to ride one of those things when other people ride the trails before me on them. haha

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pointerDixie214 View Post
    Had a 12 mile long blast at Gretna today. On 2.4" tires. lol

Good luck down in VA. Whereabouts are you headed? Some great stuff down that way.
    We'll be going to Massanutten. I rode there last year with the Shenandoah bicycle club. Was pretty good. A lot of climbing, which I was NOT ready for!

https://www.strava.com/activities/170926490

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DethWshBkr View Post
    We'll be going to Massanutten. I rode there last year with the Shenandoah bicycle club. Was pretty good. A lot of climbing, which I was NOT ready for!

https://www.strava.com/activities/170926490
    That is AWESOME!!! That's the main thing I miss about riding out West... all the climbing (and subsequent downhills lol).

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    The 9 mile stretch of old railbed up from Noxen is rideable and packed down by the snowmobiles we did 10 miles Sunday, and I can assume with more Monday snow it will be OK as more snowmobiles will use it and pack it down!

mtbr member
    Hey! We might see dirt in 2016!

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Saw it at Nocks last Sunday but just in spots!

mtbr member
    Nope after today I don't believe you saw any dirt.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Oh man I'm bummed we had so much fun on the cupped ice trails...
    ...It was so fast, that is if you could stay in the ruts!...LOL

mtbr member
    If no one minds my asking, am I the only mother ****er that skis? Not that this year has been great for that but, I swear I'm the only person I know still interested in skiing or boarding.

Chilling out
    Quote Originally Posted by glorth2 View Post
    If no one minds my asking, am I the only mother ****er that skis? Not that this year has been great for that but, I swear I'm the only person I know still interested in skiing or boarding.
    I've been somewhat enjoying my XC skiis, and have mostly managed to learn to snowboard.

Kind of.

Want/Need to practice more.

Now that my wrist and shoulder recovered from a week ago Sunday I may go out again this weekend. ;^)

But still, wanna bike.

mtbr member
    I snowboard and ride in the winter, I was out today most of the day at Blue. I actually rode the lift up with a guy that bikes as well. I refuse to snowboard on weekend's, to many people so I ride my bike then.
    I like to fart when I'm in front of you on a climb:skep:

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Always wanted to learn to ski/snowboard just did not get the time this year. Hopefully next year.

Excited for spring/summer when Blue opens up the bike park though

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    I'm with ya skiing is fun!

mtbr member
    The bike trails at Blue were rippin yesterday lol
    I like to fart when I'm in front of you on a climb:skep:

mtbr member
    lol..I've been on the slopes almost every weekend since Christmas
    could say im not even thinking of biking just yet! it will come.
    conditions for skiing have been great all season. Im with you
    "foot to pedal, wheel to dirt, there is no substitute for the act of riding "

mtbr member
    I...I think...I think I see dirt? Atleast outside my in my yard.

mtbr member
    2 more weeks at this rate?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    are the trails at Wissahickon rideable? I am from Cinci and will be around there next week. Was planning on bringing the bike, but not so sure now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    So went out to Roaring Run in Apollo, PA yesterday (Friday, 3/13/15) and found the Rails trail was ice covered and a tough pedal; however, the single track was tracking very nice and mud was at a minimum as well. absolutely no ice/snow on the single track. If you haven't been it is very technical rock and lots of climbing but if you are itching to ride its worth a go.

mtbr member
    I rode Mack today. 99% cleared of snow. Mud was not bad at all. Mainly just the first trail as you enter from Pumping station to the main climb. All the upper stuff was in great shape.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Yep. Been at Mack three days within the last 5. haha

mtbr member
    I walked Swatara yesterday and it's about 95% clear. Going to ride Tuesday around 1:00pm

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigb73 View Post
    I walked Swatara yesterday and it's about 95% clear. Going to ride Tuesday around 1:00pm
    I was there today around 3:30

Better than expected, but still kinda crappy.
    All lefts loop, from the parking lot to the main junction is ICE. Be careful.
    Up A to A2 is pretty good. On A2, from half way, until the end of A2 is icy in patches and a stretch or two.
    Down A to B (steep drop into the little creek then the 180* left turn) is downright treacherous.
    B to C was good, C downhill was sketchy. Very slow, and a lot of ice still. D was the worst for softness. A1 was not so hot either. A lot of ice, but ridable it you take it easy.

I'd say 70% good dirt, 15% soft dirt (leaving tire tread marks), 10% wet dirt (Easy does it on the throttle or you just spin and dig), and 5% snow/ice.