Nox first timer- Mtbr.com

Thread: Nox first timer

mtbr member
    Dec 2014

Nox first timer

I'm planning on taking my 10 y/o son to Nox on Thursday. Are the trails fairly easy to follow? Any sections that are overly rocky or technical that I should be aware of. He rides a lot but doesn't have much singletrack experience. I'm hoping this is a good place to start and give him some confidence. Thanks for any help/tips.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    This is the closest trail to me and I know it well . I would start in the tower parking lot. Trail head starts there, stay right at all intersections except the tower fire road go straight this will eventually bring you to south park trail and Jaywalk . I wouldn't take him on south park follow jaywalk this will bring you back to a natural stone bridge that you crossed earlier take that back opposite direction and again stay right as you go up the hill. This will take you back very close to the tower lot . There is markers . Enjoy its a great place with excellent trails and terrific maintenance

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Thank you very much. This is the perfect info. So, all of the other trails except South Park should be doable? What about South Park makes you suggest to skip it (just curious). If we do the loop as you described do you have any idea of the mileage? Again, just curious, being that he's 10 he doesn't run out of gas easily and he rides a lot. Thanks again for your help. Should we expect much in the way of crowds on a Thursday (late morning to noonish)?

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    South Park is the most technical of the Nox loops as there are a couple of rocky and rooty up and downhills that may be a bit much for a ten year old. If you do 5 out of the 6 loops you should end up around 8 miles and I'd guess 500ft of elevation. If that isn't enough you can always do loops in reverse. There won't be enough other riders to be a bother, but I'm always surprised at how many other riders are there during the middle of the day on a weekday.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I'd say depending on his riding ability, go on a ahead at the fire road at the dam gate. It's not going to kill him. It's just a little rocky, requiring a little more grunt than is necessary throughout the rest of the trail network. The whole place is only ten miles, including that section on the other side of the fire road at the dam.

I personally would always park over at the parking lot/boat launch on the other side of the bridge on 563. Then just ride back across bridge into trail. Make all rights like said above, and you'll end up back at 563 in 10 miles. Only exception is at midpoint coming back, a right turn is going to take you to the Tower lot. I can't remember how to describe that, but only know it by sight. Easy enough though...when you make turn that takes you to Tower lot, just back track and continue on trail. Continue all rights. (There may be a sign that lets you know about Tower, can't remember, but if so just continue past.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    All great info. Thanks all. I may just see how it goes that day, see how he does on the other loops and let him decide if he wants to try it. I think he is a better rider than I give him credit for and it's just me not wanting to see him get hurt or get discouraged. He is super pumped about getting there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I bet he will be fine.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Rasky, your son will be just fine there. Probably couldn't pick a more perfect place to get started.

I've been on that trail since the first day of construction so trust me on this that Nox was built with a major goal in mind of effectively getting kids, families, and beginners into the sport while still being fun for more experienced mtbrs.

Have fun! 👍

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Thanks everyone. we are both pumped and ready to go. I'll update when we get home on Thursday.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    We had a blast riding the trails today. My son killed it. For his first time on singletrack he was awesome. He still walked a couple of spots (I'd rather that than see him go over the bars). He skipped the jaywalk and South Park as I could see him getting tired so I wanted to stop while it was still fun for him. Our favorite section was eastern woods. I felt like a little kid on my bmx bike through there. Both of us were all smiles ok that loop. Thanks to everyone for the tips and we will definitely be visiting there again. It was a really nice place and wasn't over his head.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Absolutely awesome! Just wait Rasky, it won't be long before he's going to be putting the coals to you and you're just trying to hold his wheel!