nordic skiing in wiss- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004

nordic skiing in wiss

I just got back from a jaunt in the woods. With the amount of snow we got, the conditions are perfect. Folks usually stay on forbidden drive, but even the upper trails are nice this time with this amount of base. Or at least I can vouch for the Indian trail, and I'm hoping to check out the Meadows side tomorrow. I'm wondering if there are any other mtn. bikers in the area that switch to the thin planks when the conditions come together like this. If not, I recommend it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcurtius
    I just got back from a jaunt in the woods. With the amount of snow we got, the conditions are perfect. Folks usually stay on forbidden drive, but even the upper trails are nice this time with this amount of base. Or at least I can vouch for the Indian trail, and I'm hoping to check out the Meadows side tomorrow. I'm wondering if there are any other mtn. bikers in the area that switch to the thin planks when the conditions come together like this. If not, I recommend it.

How deep is the snow on the upper trails? I'm hopping that the powder will get packed down a little and the trails will be ride able

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Packed down, there is about 8 inches of snow on the upper trails. and they are definately not bikeable. This snowfall has been very dry and hasn't been packing down in the solid manner that a bike's weight distribution needs. Sorry to report, but if you tried to bike Indian, you'd only shred the tracks that are doable for skiers.
    If this sticks around, then maybe the wet, freeze cycle of sunny days and cold nights might make a decently bikeable track on some trails, wait and see.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    i was out on my sticks sunday and had a great time! seems like forbiddne drive was already getting pretty thin to ski on though, i'll be trying to ride through there on my commute home today so if you need a XC ski update just ask!

biking would be possible on forbidden drive only and will probably be that way until we really get some melting.... i cant imagine the woods being any fun on two wheels this week anyway.