Nockamixon Winter Closure Now in Effect- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2016

Nockamixon Winter Closure Now in Effect

FYI -The Nockamixon State Park Mountain Bike Trails have now officially CLOSED for the season due to the system's unusually high susceptibility to wet winter weather.

This routine seasonal decision is made by the system's trailbuilding group, the Ridenox Council, after assessing soil moisture conditions and is done with the full approval/support of the PA Department of Conservation and Natural Resources' park management and law enforcement staff.

Please respect this closure which both preserves the yearround weekly work of the Nox trailbuilders and ensures drier, nonrutted trails that will reopen earlier in the spring than otherwise would.

Extended deep freeze conditions with snow would allow for a temporary reopening for fatbiking. That scenario and Nox's eventual springtime reopening will be made via Ridenox on Facebook as well as on MTBR.

Happy holidays to all!

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Just a reminder that this seasonal closure will continue into the new year until further notice.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Thanks for posting.

Nox is a super place to ride, but needs a bit of a rest. I'm sure it will be back better than ever in spring!

Thanks to all who make it fun, and for your hard work.
    Rest well Nox!

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA View Post
    Thanks for posting.

Nox is a super place to ride, but needs a bit of a rest. I'm sure it will be back better than ever in spring!

Thanks to all who make it fun, and for your hard work.
    Rest well Nox!
    Much appreciated compliments to the small group building there.

Just an FYI to those riders that think temps near freezing around 8-9 am or so makes it OK to ride here despite the closure. It's NOT cool. The park management states that "closed" means "closed" and for good reason. Soils here have little rock base, are fairly wet, and heat up quickly with any sun on them resulting in slime time riding. The resulting ruts damage carefully groomed trails while closing off drains. Ground in Nockamixon S.P. rarely ever freezes more thsn an inch or two deep even in the coldest weather.

High Rocks, Sals, South Mountain, and Emmaus/Trexler all represent better trails for winter weather riding to the southeast, north, and northwest of Nox respectively.

The Ridenox Council thanks all those following NEPMTBA's "it needs rest" and to ride rocks elsewhere until the clay-base trail tread dries at Nox.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    one thing i've always liked about nox (besides the trails) is that over the last few years you've been really good at announcing trail closures / trail status. keep up the good work.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by jonkranked View Post
    one thing i've always liked about nox (besides the trails) is that over the last few years you've been really good at announcing trail closures / trail status. keep up the good work.
    The Ridenox Council appreciates the positive feedback and the understanding most have regarding our policy of closing in clearly undesirable conditions.

That said here's an update on trail status - warmer weather and periods of rain forecasted will combine to soften up the trails once again. Any sunshine after frosty nights will only aggravate things. Trails will remain closed as a result.

Everyone should pray for a polar vortex and a good snowstorm to have Nox open for some good fatbiking

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayncedar View Post
    Much appreciated compliments to the small group building there.

Just an FYI to those riders that think temps near freezing around 8-9 am or so makes it OK to ride here despite the closure. It's NOT cool. The park management states that "closed" means "closed" and for good reason. Soils here have little rock base, are fairly wet, and heat up quickly with any sun on them resulting in slime time riding. The resulting ruts damage carefully groomed trails while closing off drains. Ground in Nockamixon S.P. rarely ever freezes more thsn an inch or two deep even in the coldest weather.

High Rocks, Sals, South Mountain, and Emmaus/Trexler all represent better trails for winter weather riding to the southeast, north, and northwest of Nox respectively.

The Ridenox Council thanks all those following NEPMTBA's "it needs rest" and to ride rocks elsewhere until the clay-base trail tread dries at Nox.
    FYI Trexler hasn't been taking it better. Last week it was a mess when I went out on the border trail for a few miles. The trails were soft mush and it seems they are worst since its been deforested. I stopped and checked out the fresh work that's been done and there were fresh tire tracks right through it. Guys have been out there trying to rebuild what's left and people riding it when its super soft aren't going to help.

I rode Pooh's down to HP2 and HP2 was so bad the top layer was sliding off the top of the trail. We fixed what we did and left the single track and rode the border trail. All the problems you guys have are there as well. That place turns to peanut butter when it thaws and your riding it.
    I like to fart when I'm in front of you on a climb:skep:

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtrider76 View Post
    FYI Trexler hasn't been taking it better. Last week it was a mess when I went out on the border trail for a few miles. The trails were soft mush and it seems they are worst since its been deforested. I stopped and checked out the fresh work that's been done and there were fresh tire tracks right through it. Guys have been out there trying to rebuild what's left and people riding it when its super soft aren't going to help.

I rode Pooh's down to HP2 and HP2 was so bad the top layer was sliding off the top of the trail. We fixed what we did and left the single track and rode the border trail. All the problems you guys have are there as well. That place turns to peanut butter when it thaws and your riding it.
    That sucks. It used to drain better some years back. Another place off the winter list.

Reality is that unless somewhere's solid rockgarden it otherwise should probably be closed in the kind of wet, warm winters we get anymore.

mtbr member
    Jan 2002
    Though these options are somewhat better than Nox as whole during wet winter weather, large portions of all of them take a real beating if ridden during the sloppy winter weather we've been having. If its truly frozen obviously that's a different story, but that seems to be a rarity these days..

If its wet and above 25f riders should leave all of these trails alone. Just because Nox has council and lots of advocates behind it doesn't mean other trails should suffer as a result..

That sucks. It used to drain better some years back. Another place off the winter list.

Reality is that unless somewhere's solid rock garden it otherwise should probably be closed in the kind of wet, warm winters we get anymore.
    yes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by hiss2 View Post
    Though these options are somewhat better than Nox as whole during wet winter weather, large portions of all of them take a real beating if ridden during the sloppy winter weather we've been having. If its truly frozen obviously that's a different story, but that seems to be a rarity these days..

If its wet and above 25f riders should leave all of these trails alone. Just because Nox has council and lots of advocates behind it doesn't mean other trails should suffer as a result..

yes.
    Agreed. Though it wasn't clear enough my intent was that those trails (excluding Trex) being more rock-on-rock can certainly take riding in the winter "gray zone" where it below freezing and if it hasn't rained much in the last week or so.

Obviously with how wet and warm it has gotten since that post nothing anywhere right now should be ridden except railtrails, etc. Thats just common sense and yet the problem is that ALOT of people are still riding around here even now.

Given this reality I would strongly encourage the trailbuilders at each system in the region to consider working with their landmanagers to develop wet weather official closure policies with legal enforcement powers behind it like Nox has developed and then install signage, publicize it, and start citations. There is no doubt that the damage is lessened from what it has been.

With the increasing popularity of mtbing, increasingly warm/wet winters, and the IDGAF attitude held by many, this is probably the only longterm way to preserve trails.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Incidentally, the state is now issuing citations for riding the closed mtb trails at Nockamixon.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Apparently people were riding the trails this past Saturday despite the closure. Hopefully these idiots actions won't affect access for those of us that respect the closures.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Yeah, I heard from an excellent source that several citations were also handed out by the park Saturday to those riding. The tickets carry a heavy fine for trespassing on state property.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman521 View Post
    Yeah, I heard from an excellent source that several citations were also handed out by the park Saturday to those riding. The tickets carry a heavy fine for trespassing on state property.
    Seems like time for a
    Name:  w2M1z.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  27.1 KB

mtbr member
    What's the usual time Nox opens each year? I know it usually stays wet for a while, especially in the pines. In past years I've never hit it early, usually like May/June, whenever I happened to make it up there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DC2.2GSR View Post
    What's the usual time Nox opens each year? I know it usually stays wet for a while, especially in the pines. In past years I've never hit it early, usually like May/June, whenever I happened to make it up there.
    Last year they opened the trails on March 7 but then looking at their Facebook timeline they closed and re-opened a few more times through March and April with a firm open in the first weeks of May.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Yeah, its been wet a lot lately. We needs several days linked together of just sun.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by RepoMan2112 View Post
    Last year they opened the trails on March 7 but then looking at their Facebook timeline they closed and re-opened a few more times through March and April with a firm open in the first weeks of May.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Upper Bucks County got a ton of sleet in that last storm. Took a long time to melt into the ground. The ground around there is saturated from that as well as prior storms this winter. More rain is forecasted.

The reality is Nockamixon is somewhat wet clay (it's not like Wiss which is a problem since people think if that's dry everything else automatically is) and the park opens the trails open some years earlier than others entirely dependent on weather.

From what I've heard, a number of citations have been issued this winter and more recently too - DCNR is serious about preserving the sustainability of this trail system.

From what I've seen Nox should generally be considered a May to October system and, if fortunate, you might get April and November too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Out of curiosity, whats the $ amount of the citation?

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougr View Post
    Out of curiosity, whats the $ amount of the citation?
    From what I understand it goes before a judge who determines the trespass level and fine.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    I have list in my mind of trails that are more rock based than dirt and in wet/winter conditions I ride the rocky ones more, it's just like the hunting season. When that time of year rolls around I go where there is less hunting pressure.

I think less of a fine and having to join the local club and help on a trail day would be more acceptable, or fine monies go towards trail investment, rather than the general fund.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman521 View Post
    I hope they got some of the jersey a-holes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    At the end of the day, I still don't get how some guys around here can't get it through their heads that riding most trails in a wet warmish winter damages them. It's not complicated.

In the wintertime, ride railtrails, towpaths, the road, or get a fatbike and drive to where there's snow. I've done all of these - it's not the same but it is what it is.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Yeah I hate seeing all the time and money put into that place trashed by idiot riders. The volunteers do amazing work and the trail closures need to be respected. I am glad the park is giving out citations. Sucks to need to but maybe people will learn...hopefully.

I'm itchy to ride there too. I drive past it everyday to and from work. When its good I try my best to ride after work a few times a week.

This winter I've ridden the PAVED trails there instead. Sucks but I figure its a good cardio warm up for the real thing. Respect the builders friends. They are the gods who create our paradise! lol

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I think the experienced riders who do this won't learn because they know exactly what they're doing and simply don't care. They're going to do what they want to do because they're self-serving and they ignore things like rules and etiquette if they in any way impinge on what they want to do. They're the people who cut you off in traffic and flip you off, tell you to f off when you ask them to put their dog on a leash in a park that requires leashes, eat your food from the office fridge, etc. Jerks. I do think this is a minority of riders, though, but unfortunately it just takes a few riding when they shouldn't to make things ugly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RepoMan2112 View Post
    I think the experienced riders who do this won't learn because they know exactly what they're doing and simply don't care. They're going to do what they want to do because they're self-serving and they ignore things like rules and etiquette if they in any way impinge on what they want to do. They're the people who cut you off in traffic and flip you off, tell you to f off when you ask them to put their dog on a leash in a park that requires leashes, eat your food from the office fridge, etc. Jerks. I do think this is a minority of riders, though, but unfortunately it just takes a few riding when they shouldn't to make things ugly.
    You're right. These are the kind of people who look right at a sign at a trailhead and scoff, and ride right past. They do it on purpose. They simply don't care about how much work went into the trails because they're entitled jerkoffs, most likely in every facet of their own lives.

They think it's their right to go ride the mysterious trail that magically showed up in the woods one day, all nice and finished. They'll ride in any conditions, rip up the trail, and then complain when things get rutted out and puddles form, or that there are trees down. However, they won't dare to show up for a trail work day because why should they? "Someone else" will do it.

On the subject of work days - how can I get involved in Nox trail work? I checked the ridenox site and facebook but I can't seem to find any trail days, etc. I've helped a bit with other trail systems in the past but I haven't had the time the last few years, been putting lots of time into my side work and only ride when I have a free hour or two. I'm trying to change that this year.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    On the subject of work days - how can I get involved in Nox trail work? I checked the ridenox site and facebook but I can't seem to find any trail days, etc. I've helped a bit with other trail systems in the past but I haven't had the time the last few years, been putting lots of time into my side work and only ride when I have a free hour or two. I'm trying to change that this year.
    Just shoot Nox a message on Facebook. They always respond fast.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Update:

An enormous amount of rain fell today in the Nockamixon area. Creeks running full, the ground in the park is fully saturated, trails are far beyond soft. The state is continuing closure and for good reason.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Good news update!

The PA Department of Conservation and Natural Resources has lifted the winter seasonal closure effective today on the Nockamixon State Park mountain bike trail system.

Mountain bikers are being asked to stick to the "Lower" trails along the lake and avoid the "Upper" trails in the woods for now due to lingering wetness issues.

Wet trail etiquette remains in effect following rainstorms.

mtbr member
    I'm sure everyone knows by now, judging by the full parking lot today, but most of Nox is dry and dusty, with perfectly smooth tacky dirt on a lot of the berms. The only wetness I saw out there today was the creek crossings.

I got to the trail in reasonable time, first time coming directly from work. I just started a new job in the fall so I was psyched to ride there at the end of the work day. I was waiting for a friend so I put on my shoes, helmet, grabbed my pack, and went to put my front wheel on and snapped the axle lever right off with the slightest pressure.

I called Saucon Valley Bikes and they happened to have a factory take-off RockShox axle laying around, and they were open until 7. My buddy volunteered to pick it up on his way. Ride saved!