Night riding in State parks- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Night riding in State parks

Hello, I am looking for anyone that has tried with or without success to get night riding legal in State Parks. Any help and/or input would be much appreciated. Thanks!
    Brian

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I think itís legal. ? I asked a game warden a couple of weeks ago if we were allowed to ride at night and he saw no problem. He said just no camping or fires in the game lands.

mtbr member
    Not at Lackawanna State Park. People get in trouble about once a month.
    Hubbard Bike Club

Chilling out
    I'm guessing that whatever the state-wide regulations are, it's going to be up to the local powers that be (LPTB) as to how enforced they are.

Having a really good realationship with LPTB is probably No. 1 on the list of things to do before attempting.

mtbr member
    FWIW.......state parks, state game lands and state forests are all different and managed by different entities. a game warden or deputy has no authority over or in state parks as most, if not all state parks, allow no hunting within the park. a game warden would have authority over game laws in state forests but no authority over land management or trails but would have a say about gamelands within his jurisdiction. a state park manager or ranger would be the ones to talk to about riding in a state park.

ganginwood
    Quote Originally Posted by zzero
    a game warden or deputy has no authority over or in state parks as most, if not all state parks, allow no hunting within the park. a game warden would have authority over game laws in state forests but no authority over land management or trails but would have a say about gamelands within his jurisdiction.
    what a well constructed and grammatically correct statement.

do they allow night riding at francis slocum sp? i believe you can hunt in certain areas, correct? i remember doing it a few times but never considered it a crime. now you got me thinking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Aswell
    the 5th poster, ganginwoods, is correct

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ganginwood

do they allow night riding at francis slocum sp? i believe you can hunt in certain areas, correct? i remember doing it a few times but never considered it a crime. now you got me thinking.
    thanks.... i have yet to start drinking today.

on francis slocum.... sorry, i have no clue. try checking dcnr's website for it. i know the state parks in my area have numerous " no hunting" signs all around the boundaries.

Here's my best shot at trying to clean up some of the loose language and blanket statements regarding Game Lands, State Forests, State Parks, Wardens, Deputies, Rangers, etc.

State Forests (Managed by PA DCNR) As far as I know there are no restrictions on night riding in State Forests provided you are on a designated trail and are not camping without a permit.

State Game Lands (Managed by PA Game Commission) Again, as far as I know there are no restrictions on night riding in Game Lands provided you are on a designated trail (check game commission website) and you are not riding during a restricted time of year (hunting season)

State Parks (Managed by DCNR, but very different rules and regulations than State Forests) Rules and permitted uses in State Parks will vary greatly by State Park. Some State Parks that do not have camping are legally closed from dusk til dawn. I would first check the PA DCNR website - you'll find that some State Parks do explicitly allow night riding on designated trails provided that you have a light. However many Parks will make no mention of it (whether legal or illegal) I would think that the next best recourse is to contact the particular Park which you wished to ride. By the way, many State Parks do in fact have designated hunting areas, even if it seems completely dangerous and asinine.

mtbr member
    jonz187.....

as i take it you're referring to my post with your statement of "loose language & blanket statements" i will concur with you, after a bit of research, that there are indeed numerous state parks with designated hunting areas. all the state parks in my area prohibit hunting within their boundaries and i made that remark, based on that, a bit too quickly.

but the point i was trying to make in my post still stands...and i do not consider it loose nor a blanket statement.... game wardens do not call the shots in a state park, nor do they in a state forest unless it is specifically dealing with game laws. so asking a game warden if it's ok to ride, night or day, in a state park is like asking the dept.of revenue how to register a vehicle. you may or may not get the right answer so why not ask the right department the first time.

most bikers i run across do not understand the difference between state forests, state parks and pa state game lands (to which you did a nice job of explaining, i will add) and therefore are confused as to who to approach about access.

so again.. my point was, as i stated ... ask the park manager or ranger of the state park you're interested in riding in.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ganginwood

To Kevin and everyone else,

This the what we follow at Francis Slocum State Park. This is a quote from the Francis Slocum Park Manager on Francis Slocum State Park.

"The only approval for night riding is the "Tuesday Night Rides" from April 1st through November 1st. All other night-time mtn. biking activity is prohibited under park rules and regulations. These specifically state that day-use areas of the park are open to the public from sunrise to sunset." Rex Bradish

Chris
    WVMTBA
    Wyoming Valley Mountain Bike Association
    www.wvmtba.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Also just as a reminder, hunting season is upon us in a few weeks. Nothing to do with night riding but last week when I was up in Jim Thorpe, a Game Commission officer gave me a guidebook and politely but firmly said that while the presence of MTBer's is welcome because it tends to "decrease the funny business" (?) he said they have to seriously crack down now on MTBer's riding on hunting days, and that they are planning on fining people this year. So according to the schedule after the last saturday or so of this month state park riding can only occur on Sundays? I forget, nor do I know if they will actually enforce this, but he did say they were lax the past 5 years or so after some law was changed and they are getting in trouble for not enforcing it.

Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX
    So according to the schedule after the last saturday or so of this month state park riding can only occur on Sundays? .

State Game Land riding can only occur on Sundays during hunting season. This is not applicable to State Parks. As stated before, game lands are completely different than state parks, and so to address zzero's retort of my earlier post, it is very much the responsibility of us all to know whether we're on Gamelands, State Forests or State Parks, for the good of the sport and so you don't get shot. But point taken, xjaredx, thanks for the reminder.

Fossil
    ...would just reinforce what Bear said... build a good relationship with the local park... visibly participating in trail maintenance would be a good start... has worked elsewhere.
    DB Dirt Club
    DBs on Dirt since 2010

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

2 words

"MOON LAKE"

Night rides at the mOOn are as follows

1. Park outside the main gate
    2. Ride anytime it's dark 24/7/365 all trails
    3. "NO HUNTING" in the park
    4. Any problems call 911

NoW Go RIdE It.........................