New trail proposed from Tamaqua to JT!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Good job! New trail proposed from Tamaqua to JT!

This was in the local paper this morning. Some folks have gotten a 40k grant to do a feasabilty study on building a trail that would run from downtown Tamaqua to Summit Hill where it would 'Y' going to either the Switchback trail or up to the Lehigh Gorge. The trail passes 30 historical sites according to the article. This would be a cool trail, especially if Mountain Bike Weekend moves to Tamaqua as somebody else posted.

Here's the online version of the article if anybody's interested.

mtbr member
    GT, i'm a stakeholder in that project and was apart of the master plan meeting Aug 30th. The engineering firm is McTish and Kunkel. They are very mtn bike friendly.

Here is my take:
    The multi-use(rail trail type) would potentially go from the gorge to nesquehoning(sp) stay south of 209 then somehow get up to summit hill then south of lansford into the schukhyill Rail trail. It's an awesome project and could promote well needed healthy living inthat region b/c it's infected with bad diets and bad living. There are some roadblock ie landowners have liens against their lands by the state etc. I will keep everyone to date and know that i will push forward and make sure the switchback trail is connected. It would be a beautiful loop.

how did i get invited? 5 years ago i joined a group for alternative transportation www.car-free-org. and met some people once i got on the board. They started to get exposed to what mtn biking's about and long story short, he calls me for projects like these and input on other projects. Moral of the story: you never know who is going to help you and you may help them down the way, so position you and your club to take advantage of that situation.

there is def a lot of history up that way and people should be educated about it.

see you on the trail.

p.s. did a survey of jacobsburg state park and lower stream trails were hit bad. we're going to recommend to close it down for a year and get some grant money to do a permanent fix.

Members who have read this thread: 0