New trail at Moosic Mountain: "After Five"- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New trail at Moosic Mountain: "After Five"

After Five

New trail at Moosic Mountain: "After Five"-img_2356-copy.jpg

It connects Gene's Trail with The View

New trail at Moosic Mountain: "After Five"-screen-shot-2014-12-16-7.31.50-pm.jpg
    (Google Maps)

It's vintage Moosic: rocky, technical, singletrack, and you can probably hike it faster. Don't let that "275-ft drop" sign fool you; this is 5.6 mph KOM territory.

I did it in under 4mph. Granted, it was raining, sleeting, snow on the ground, I ride a bike with ancient geometry, a never-been-serviced fork with 63mm of travel and no damping, and I'm probably out of shape. Moosic kicks my butt.

mtbr member
    After 5 was a discussion for the past couple years. The intent is to eliminate the power line climb from the bottom of Waterfall back up to the top of Waterfall/Stonehenge. We also wanted a way from the interior loops to connect to Connors. It made the most sense to connect it to The View since The View is currently just an option and not used as frequently as Stonehenge or Conglomerate.

The name "After 5" came about due to the common after work routes people use. Blueberry up to Bones, down Waterfall, back up the power line (which has been washed out for several years) and then 1 of 3 ways- Stonehenge to Conglomerate, Waterfall up to Bones and down Blueberry, or straight up the power line and down Blueberry or access road.

But while Gene and myself were discussing this, we agreed it would be good to go down to Connors too off of this trail. We had some messy terrain in the middle, which made it a nightmare. We probably walked this mid section 5 times together and could never seem to get it just right. Then schitt happened. Someone was going up to Moosic and building an illegal trail where we were scouting, but this line was right up the fall line and had 90* turns on 6' tall rocks and other sections that weren't safe at all. We had to let TNC know about it and we stalled the official project for a year. In '13 we hiked it again and finally found a decent line from High Voltage in, and from Connors to The View. It was late in the season and we didn't get to it. This past Spring we finalized everything! Finally! But we were both busy and didn't get to it till Gene stepped up this Fall and put it in with the help of Hubbard Bike Club. Due to other obligations I had, I couldn't be there for this one. Thank Gene if you see him!

This Spring we'll both be up there to put in the part that will connect High Voltage to the After 5 trail. The intent is to have more options for weeknight rides.
    Up Blueberry, Bones, Waterfall, High Voltage, After 5, The View, Conglomerate, and Bruised Ego.
    Up Blueberry, Bones, Waterfall, High Voltage, After 5, The View, Stonehenge, up Waterfall, Bones and down Blueberry.
    Bruised Ego, Conglomerate, The View, down After 5, up Connors to One Last Climb and out Bruised Ego.
    Or Bruised Ego, Conglomerate, The View, After 5 out to High Voltage, up Waterfall, Bones, and down Blueberry.

Ttyl, Fahn
    Hubbard Bike Club

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thank you! Moosic is my favorite place to ride in PA.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryFahn View Post
    Someone was going up to Moosic and building an illegal trail where we were scouting
    What the hell!

Moosic is a nature preserve. That's just terrible. Did you catch who was doing it?

mtbr member
    Kind of. We have an idea since some people were on my case for a couple years about putting this in. TNC didn't want us to go forward till other issues were fixed. When I posted it on Facebook, which means about 150 people saw it on that page (not mine) the building stopped. Due to the rogue techniques and layout, we know who it was. Fahn
    Hubbard Bike Club

mtbr member
    Kind of. We have an idea since some people were on my case for a couple years about putting this in. TNC didn't want us to go forward till other issues were fixed. When I posted it on Facebook, which means about 150 people saw it on that page (not mine) the building stopped. Due to the rogue techniques and layout, we know who it was. Fahn
    Nice. Glad it stopped. Trail building is difficult enough without having to put up with illegal builders. Especially in such a sensitive area.

In related news, I talked to Zach Goodrich at TNC a few days ago about getting the IUCN designation updated at the Eales Preserve. It's currently Ia- Strict Nature Preserve. Because of the trail network and active management of the barrens, it should be IV- Habitat/Species Management Area. Doesn't legally affect anything, it's just a more accurate description of the preserve. IUCN categories are like the international version of "national park, state park, county park, this kind of park, that kind of park, national this, national that." Instead of a bewildering array of categories, there's just a few IUCN categories. A worldwide, standard way to talk about protected areas.

Zach said they didn't realize the designation hadn't changed; they'll update the status in a future release of the dataset.

mtbr member
    Cool. Zach is a nice guy to work with. Anything we need, he gets for us. He has a very open mind and is always up for learning from us too.
    Hubbard Bike Club

mtbr member
    Cant wait to try this out! Thanks for the hard work!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    When I saw this thread about the new trail at Moosic I was excited. Moosic needs a few new trails to make it complete. An although there are a lot of slow rock sections through out, there aren't many places where it offers really difficult and challenging riding that would put it into a different league. Don't get me wrong, I love it there and it does remind me of some of the terrain you'd see out west. Yes, Gene's trail has plenty of fun and interesting features and is probably my favorite trail there (thanks Gene). Specifically, the portion from Connor's to High Voltage is quite good. It's pretty much upper intermediate riding. I just longed for a trail there that gave options for all level of riders. I'm not saying I'm the end all of riders by any means, I've carried my bike many a time when I didn't feel I had the chops or the nerves. But, when your faced with a trail that has all levels of riding there's nothing like it. Moosic has that potential.

So when I heard of a new trail I hoped for the best. Unfortunately, "after 5" has none of what I hoped. There's nothing really too exciting even though it travels downhill through tons and tons of interesting slab conglomerate rock fields that potentially could really draw some adrenaline. Instead it meanders back and forth sluggishly and avoids every technical challenge like it was trying to avoid the plague. It's tedious, for an example, every point where you might have to lift your front wheel over a step or drop it down one has been filled in with stone. It's like it was dumbed down and maybe that was the intention, I don't know. It could of been a blast and offer some small to mid sized drops (1' to 4') and tricky thought provoking rock work, that would help riders raise there game just a little bit. And although I appreciate the effort and time it took to build it ( BTW, I heard nothing about a trail being built until it was already done), it seems like there needs to be some input by other riders. I'm sure people might get offended by what I'm saying but it's just an opinion and it comes from the heart as I think Moosic could be one of the very top rides in the Eastern U.S.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Sorry to hear you don't like it there was a lot of work and it will get better as it hardpans in but...

since I'm known as the person who has personal friendships with "rocks"...
    ...your saying you need my touch in building a killer trail?...LOL

mtbr member
    This might be as good a place as any to ask: what is the "feel" of Moosic mnt. I am generally and xc rider who likes a mix of fast flowy and tech. I get up to Moon Lake area now and then and want to check it out, just wondering what to expect - Southeast PA, like Wiss or French Creek, or more like Rothrock/Bald Eagle or is it its own kind of place.

Thanks.
    Buy the ticket, take the ride. -HST

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Stereo Steve View Post
    When I saw this thread about the new trail at Moosic I was excited. Moosic needs a few new trails to make it complete. An although there are a lot of slow rock sections through out, there aren't many places where it offers really difficult and challenging riding that would put it into a different league. Don't get me wrong, I love it there and it does remind me of some of the terrain you'd see out west. Yes, Gene's trail has plenty of fun and interesting features and is probably my favorite trail there (thanks Gene). Specifically, the portion from Connor's to High Voltage is quite good. It's pretty much upper intermediate riding. I just longed for a trail there that gave options for all level of riders. I'm not saying I'm the end all of riders by any means, I've carried my bike many a time when I didn't feel I had the chops or the nerves. But, when your faced with a trail that has all levels of riding there's nothing like it. Moosic has that potential.

So when I heard of a new trail I hoped for the best. Unfortunately, "after 5" has none of what I hoped. There's nothing really too exciting even though it travels downhill through tons and tons of interesting slab conglomerate rock fields that potentially could really draw some adrenaline. Instead it meanders back and forth sluggishly and avoids every technical challenge like it was trying to avoid the plague. It's tedious, for an example, every point where you might have to lift your front wheel over a step or drop it down one has been filled in with stone. It's like it was dumbed down and maybe that was the intention, I don't know. It could of been a blast and offer some small to mid sized drops (1' to 4') and tricky thought provoking rock work, that would help riders raise there game just a little bit. And although I appreciate the effort and time it took to build it ( BTW, I heard nothing about a trail being built until it was already done), it seems like there needs to be some input by other riders. I'm sure people might get offended by what I'm saying but it's just an opinion and it comes from the heart as I think Moosic could be one of the very top rides in the Eastern U.S.
    I think that High Voltage going down can be pretty comparable to technical trails in AZ, especially if you picked bigger lines and avoided the single track on the side.
    I do think the Moosic is quite a very technical ride and even possible harder and trickier in some spots that say Geronimo or National Trail but I think what is missing if you are comparing to trails out west would be exposure. I get what you're saying though, I do wish there were more drops but I share this sentiment more for Dead Deer than Moosic.

Btw, I also rode "After 5" and thought that it was a great and very fun ride I do think that is is already one of the very top rides in the Eastern US already, it's probably just not as well advertised as others

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by justriding View Post
    This might be as good a place as any to ask: what is the "feel" of Moosic mnt.
    Unique, gorgeous.

New trail at Moosic Mountain: "After Five"-img_1269.jpg
    Top of Blueberry. This is what the trail surface is like. Also where the long, fun downhill starts.

New trail at Moosic Mountain: "After Five"-img_1593.jpg
    Bruised Ego. Another shot of what to expect, trail-surface wise.

New trail at Moosic Mountain: "After Five"-img_1594.jpg
    Love this stuff. Huge rock formations everywhere. You can expect to ride a lot of this. (Also Bruised Ego)

New trail at Moosic Mountain: "After Five"-photo-apr-24-4-55-53-pm-3-.jpg
    Top of Blueberry in the spring. This is the flow-ish trail.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Unlike anything we have up here... lots of big grippy rocks and pure singletrack, except for Blueberry that has a unique like southwestern western flow with low growth scrub plants, that is if you can keep you eyes on the trail.

Yesterday we were on top of Blueberry as the fog cleared it was an out of body experience! You can get a 360 view and check out all the local mountains like Hubbard, Cary, Meyers, and Fell which makes me think every time about all those mountains that have more trails and riding areas on them, and how I have been very lucky to have done rides with friends on all of them!

mtbr member
    very nice/cool pics (the ones with the lone pines is cool), but to answer my question...

mtbr member
    Also, on point. This is "Stonehenge" Trail.

New trail at Moosic Mountain: "After Five"-photo-apr-24-5-22-17-pm.jpg

There's also a trail called "Conglomerate." They ain't lying.

mtbr member
    Thanks Lee. Z-wave, you have some nice pics and good eye. thanks. I'll have to check it out next time. you guys have a map posted?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    unique - yup
    New trail at Moosic Mountain: "After Five"-10394777_950801641600714_7650755354500784200_n.jpg
    gorgeous - yup
    New trail at Moosic Mountain: "After Five"-10712994_950801674934044_2926627301911129361_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Thanks! Yeah, I mapped the trails in Google Maps. Up-to-date.

New trail at Moosic Mountain: "After Five"-screen-shot-2015-01-05-12.20.27-pm.jpg

mtbr member
    sweet. Looks good size trail system. what's the mileage?

mtbr member
    Good question. Looks like it's about 14.5 miles (trails-only). Not counting gravel roads (which are at least 3-5 miles more). The outer loop (Bruised Ego, Gene's, High Voltage, Waterfall, White Birches, Waterfall, Blueberry) is about 10 miles.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Bruised, Stone, Conglo, Waterfall, Blueberry was like 6 to 7 and felt like 20 or so...LOL

Chilling out
    If you ride a significant loop up at Moosic, including Gene's trail, be sure to take your Big Ride Pants as it'll be a notable effort for most any rider. Good stuff.

Some of the rocks can be truly viscious on tires too, that conglomerate stuff is very nasty to thin sidewalls.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    "Big Ride Pants"
    Love it!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by justriding View Post
    This might be as good a place as any to ask: what is the "feel" of Moosic mnt. I am generally and xc rider who likes a mix of fast flowy and tech. I get up to Moon Lake area now and then and want to check it out, just wondering what to expect - Southeast PA, like Wiss or French Creek, or more like Rothrock/Bald Eagle or is it its own kind of place.

Thanks.
    The only "fast" part of Moosic is coming down Blueberry and Bruised Ego/One Last Climb. Expect the interior to be very slow and techie. You can jog/trail run just as fast. The interior trails are Conglomerate, The View, Stonehenge, After 5, Gene's and Connors (on the map I think Connors is also marked as Genes).

The exterior trails are generally faster. Blueberry, Bones, Waterfall, High Voltage, One Last Climb/Bruised Ego.

If you're looking for drops, I'm at Creek almost every Sunday and I'm always looking for people to ride with. Hopefully I'll hit Blue and Platty too. Let me know.

I'm glad to see that everyone is liking Moosic a lot! Ttyl, Fahn
    Hubbard Bike Club

mtbr member
    Yeah, I meant to give him props for that "Big Ride Pants" was great. Informative too, so I know to ready when I get up there.

mtbr member

New trail at Moosic Mountain: "After Five"

How would you guys rate the interior trails based on tech challenge alone? Would you say Blue/ Intermediate or Black Diamond?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Let's look at the average rider who most likely hasn't seen any place else like Moosic, so based on that I would lean towards "Black"...

...once you learn the lines it becomes easier as you can concentrate on the trail rather than the path you want to follow.

Blueberry is the only trail I consider "Blue"as we designed it to be so from the start.

mtbr member
    "we" hahaha! Very funny Lee!

Fwiw, Hubbard Bike Club built Moon Lake

Ttyl, Fahn
    Hubbard Bike Club

mtbr member
    Anyway, the interior trails are all slow riding with step-ups and downs, tighter turns and inconsistent rocks. When I'm at Moosic and people ask what the easiest trail is, I point North and tell them LSP. Though Lee is correct by saying Blueberry is the easiest trail at Moosic. Ttyl, Fahn
    Hubbard Bike Club

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    I wonder if other Hubbard members feel your pain?...LOL

Rolling on 650b
    Ive only ridden up there twice. I'd say intermediate. Had to dab a couple times, but I wasn't off and walking sections.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    To be considered part of "We" at MMC requires more than 8hrs of volunteer time. Dont you think?

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezigg101 View Post
    To be considered part of "We" at MMC requires more than 8hrs of volunteer time. Dont you think?
    Welcome excellent first post...
    ...your correct, and I think I have 8.000000000000000000000000001

mtbr member
    Lee, being a moderator of this forum should mean that you show respect where it's due. But stealing credit from the people who designed it, built it, and maintain it is a new low. It is what I expect of you. But to lie on an open forum where someone might believe you is completely disrespectful. There are volunteers who remain anonymous that report their hours to me that don't want to be known to the community. Their work shows. Your involvement was coming up Hubbard on Thursday night for 2 months and asking me if Jenny gave us (Hubbard Bike Club) permission to build yet.

There's a reason Gene's name, my name and Hubbard Bike Club are credited on the map and you're not. We love our volunteers. They come from all walks of life. None of them write on forums trying to STEAL credit.

You're at an all time low, Lee. I knew it would come to this. It was just a matter of time.

I will give credit where it's due. You did work for 6 hours the first day we built at Moosic. Thanks for your time.
    Hubbard Bike Club

Chilling out
    When I'm at Moosic and people ask what the easiest trail is, I point North and tell them LSP.
    I dunno, I think Bones and Waterfall are about the same difficulty as Blueberry, only with additional elevation gain/loss in play.

I'm looking forward to being able to resume riding my quarterly Mossic Death Spiral ride, and seeing how I can incorporate the new trail. I'm just so out of shape right now it's disgusting.

But then, I guess that's what has motivated me to start doing calisthenics and weight training before work.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    I dunno, I think Bones and Waterfall are about the same difficulty as Blueberry, only with additional elevation gain/loss in play.

I'm looking forward to being able to resume riding my quarterly Mossic Death Spiral ride, and seeing how I can incorporate the new trail. I'm just so out of shape right now it's disgusting.

But then, I guess that's what has motivated me to start doing calisthenics and weight training before work.
    Ted, hit me up when you plan to ride Moosic... an out of shape you is my only chance to keep up

Chilling out
    Thanks, I think. ;%)

mtbr member
    Lee, being a moderator of this forum should mean that you show respect where it's due. But stealing credit from the people who designed it, built it, and maintain it is a new low. It is what I expect of you. But to lie on an open forum where someone might believe you is completely disrespectful. There are volunteers who remain anonymous that report their hours to me that don't want to be known to the community. Their work shows. Your involvement was coming up Hubbard on Thursday night for 2 months and asking me if Jenny gave us (Hubbard Bike Club) permission to build yet.

There's a reason Gene's name, my name and Hubbard Bike Club are credited on the map and you're not. We love our volunteers. They come from all walks of life. None of them write on forums trying to STEAL credit.

You're at an all time low, Lee. I knew it would come to this. It was just a matter of time.

I will give credit where it's due. You did work for 6 hours the first day we built at Moosic. Thanks for your time.
    ...Ouch!! Fahn,I don't know you, but I like you.
    "foot to pedal, wheel to dirt, there is no substitute for the act of riding "

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Rob,

The thread is about a "new trail" at Moosic and in it I speak of "helping" with Blueberry not the new trail. So you have come here off topic and accuse me of wrong doing yet I was one of the first to work with you and Gene at Moosic in the very beginning. I was invited by Jenny and not you as to working at MMP

I didn't work under the Hubbard bike club, yet along with them and many others who you seem to forget. If you search mtbr I have given you and others lots of credit in many threads and not to bring it out but I too have a citation from the Pa house of Reps honoring my help at Moosic!

Please continue all the good you do and if you have any other problems please contact me through email and we can set up a meeting.

Please refrain from accusing me or anyone of lying in an open forum as that is part of the rules.

Now the topic is the great new trail at MMP

mtbr member
    Jun 2014

How about a little less hostility, please? This is supposed to be about something we all do for fun.

mtbr member
    Could not agree more with eburatti. Anyone that knows Lee knows the time and effort he has put in over the years. Lee has contributed to building and maintaining trail in many locations across NE Pa. His dedication to Mountain Biking in this area is greatly appreciated.