New Superintendent in Valley Forge Park- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New Superintendent in Valley Forge Park

Just saw this...

Kate Hammond named Superintendent of Valley Forge National Historical Park - Valley Forge National Historical Park

She's also the Supervisor of Hopewell Furnace and likes to mountain bike according to this Kate Hammond Named Superintendent Of Little Bighorn Battlefield (NPS Digest)

I thought I remembered reading a while ago on here that right before Bush left office he signed some kind of order allowing parks to decide for themselves about mountain biking.

Does anyone have an idea how to approach a park Supervisor and open the discussion. I wonder if its worth it?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Forgive my ignorance, but is there single track in Valley Forge that would be worth riding?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I use to ride there many many moons ago before things got so combative. but have not been to the park in about ten yrs. I am sure it has all changed. You could ride on both sides of the river for those who know. Not sure what goes on there now.

mtbr member
    I have ridden on the north side of the river in the past couple years. Only a small amount of single track, a couple logs, and the river trail. Not a great mountain bike destination unless your in the area or live close by for a quick after work ride.

my church is the woods
    Quote Originally Posted by adoble View Post

Does anyone have an idea how to approach a park Supervisor and open the discussion. I wonder if its worth it?
    This may be of interest to you:

IMBA is coming to Pennsylvania! Steve and Morgan of the Subaru/IMBA Trail Care Crew will be in the following locations:

Harrisburg: May 24-27

Philadelphia: May 31-June 3

State College: June 21-24

You're invited to join the crew and the local clubs for these weekends.
    The visits feature IMBA's Trail Building School on Saturday. This is your opportunity to rub shoulders with the IMBA crew while learning about building and maintaining sweet, sustainable singletrack.
    Plus there are more events and presentations. Click on each city above for more information.
    You are receiving this email as an IMBA member or contact. Help us get the word out. Please forward this invitation to other area mountain bikers, land managers and trail users. The more the merrier!
    If the events are too far away for you to attend, we understand. We sent you this email to not just invite you but also let you know about the important work IMBA is doing in your area.
    We hope to see you there!
    Sincerely,
    Marty Caivano, IMBA Field Programs Coordinator

banned
    Nov 2008
    I've never seen any single track in Valley Forge park. I do however ride Betzwood/Valley Forge usually on the weekend since it's so close to me.

I ride the trails along both sides of the river. Both sides of the trail are fun though. I'm kinda surprised that I don't see a lot of people out there on the trail. It's a nice trail system where you can get in 20-30 miles of riding if you ride both sides of the river.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I've never been to Betzwood but I thought bike was forbidden there? This is usually what I do since this is the closest one from me and it's on my way home from work. It's in red line and bike is allowed there. You just have to watch out you don't go in to Horseshoe trail which bike isn't allowed.

2012 S pecialized Hardrock Sport Disc 29er

2017 SANTA CRUZ Hightower CC X01

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    what's the current status of trails and bike access in valley forge? I just moved about 5 minutes up the road from the betzwood parking area. a few times now i've seen people driving towards that lot with their mtbs. even if its not great riding, the close proximity is a huge plus.

mtbr member

Re: New Superintendent in Valley Forge Park

There's probably 10-11 miles of trail back there, almost everything on north side of river and the trails closer to the river on south side. This doesnt include paved paths and fire roads in the main park area that are open to bikes.

I ride there fairly often may be able to give a tour.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

bigger than you.
    it's good riding, one of my favorite places to ride. There's closer to 20 miles of trail if you do everything. Technically, you're not supposed to ride most of the trails on the betzwood side, but if you ask a ranger, chances are, they'll show you to the trails anyway. I used to ride there a lot, but haven't ridden there as much since I moved down to the city.

Members who have read this thread: 0