New Home: WestChester. Trails?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New Home: WestChester. Trails?

Yo my new neighbors!

I am moving to West Chester for a new job and was checking out the trail selection, which it thankfully seems is relatively abundant. I know about the valley green trails, covered bridge trails (not legal?), South of Campus trails, and French Creek State park. Am I missing some good ones relatively close by? Which would you say are the best? Also, are there any Mt. bike organizations in the area, trail maintenance days and such?

Thanks ya'll, I suppose I will be see'in ya!

in the getto
    Welcome to PA , French Creek and Wissahickon are some of the best rides around the area.Also Blue Marsh in Reading is good for a 30 mile epic. But believe it or not Delaware has some great trails around Newark - Middle Run is one of my favorite's and White Clay Creek has some new trails built by the Delaware Trail Spinners that I have not yet been too. Also a few miles west of Newark is Fair Hill in Maryland that has many miles of trails also but I here they are losing some to new housing construction.
    it's a big sh*t sandwich and were all gonna have to take a bite

Hoopy Frood

Welcome to the hood

I live in West Chester, about five minutes from the south campus trails. They're ok for a quick 30 minute ride but not a "destination". I like them for pre/post work rides or whenever I don't have much time but don't feel like riding the road bike.

Here's are some places to ride sorted from nearest to farthest...

South Campus
    Downingtown (Gibson Covered Bridge and others)
    Woodlawn / Brandywine Creek State Park DE
    Marsh Creek State Park
    Valley Forge Natl' Park
    French Creek State Park
    White Clay / Middle Run DE
    Fair Hill MD
    Wissahickon
    Blue Marsh

Probably others I'm forgetting as I'm just typing off the top of my head. All of these are within 60-75 minute drive from West Chester.

Lots of excellent road biking as well if you're into that.

- khill
    I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. - Thomas Jefferson

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    There's also the Jim Thorpe, PA area. About a 75 minute drive from West Chester.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    i live in PA,about 35 minute form WC...i live onyl 10 mins. form DE and MD...middle run,whiteclay and fair hill are all great all around trails...nothing crazy,but theres enough to make an all afternoon ride,or a quick 1-2 hour...my favorites r whiteclay-whitley fam/brians field,brians field has a cool little skills course that is fun to mess around on...nothing extreme though...and middle run is a fun place too

Downingtown

Quote Originally Posted by dd13
    i live in PA,about 35 minute form WC...i live onyl 10 mins. form DE and MD...middle run,whiteclay and fair hill are all great all around trails...nothing crazy,but theres enough to make an all afternoon ride,or a quick 1-2 hour...my favorites r whiteclay-whitley fam/brians field,brians field has a cool little skills course that is fun to mess around on...nothing extreme though...and middle run is a fun place too
    If you don't mind driving up to Downingtown (15-20 minutes) we have a loose group of people who ride Tuesday and Thursday nights in Downingtown - all year long. We have a Yahoo mail group (http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/dtownmtb/) for weekend rides and other announcements. Always happy to see new faces.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    where do u ride,whats it likie?...im from landenberg,and go to avon grove high school,im asuming if ur form downing town uv heard of it...

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    there's also green lane. i been riding there since january.

mtbr member
    there is a group that just started up in Brandywine that may be able to help you. There a good group and check them out at http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/bvmtb

bvmtb

Quote Originally Posted by Hackamo
    there is a group that just started up in Brandywine that may be able to help you. There a good group and check them out at http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/bvmtb
    Actually, the Brandywine group is focused on trail access issues. It was put to gether to attempt to keep access to some critical land that we ride every week that was bought by East Brandywine township. Feel free to join the group, but it is not the place to post rides.

mtbr member
    Wow! Thanks y'all for all the info. I am not out there yet, but will be in about 2-3 weeks. It is nice to know there is mt. biking alive and kicking. I know there is alot of road riding.

I have lived in New Mexico for the last 3 years and really miss the east-coast style of trails. Yah, New Mexico has stellar riding don't get me wrong, but I can't wait to get back to those rooty-rocky-wet east coast trails.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    if u dont mind me asking,what is ur job that is moving u?ur info says gradstudent,but i didnt no if that was updated

mtbr member
    if u dont mind me asking,what is ur job that is moving u?ur info says gradstudent,but i didnt no if that was updated
    Yah, no prob. I guess my title will be project scientist. I just got my masters degree in geophysics and will basically be using indirect methods of "seeing" what is underground. The company I am gonna work for uses methods such as seismic, ground penetrating radar, and other techniques for this. Kinda like an x-ray or MRI of the earth. Actually, there are many similarities between medical and geological imaging.

Although i am pretty freaked out to have a real job, wish me luck!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    wow,that actually sounds pretty cool...good luck.are u going to be working in the town of westchester or surrounding area?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

welcome to pa!

in my humble opinion, pa is the mecca of xc mountain biking. blue marsh, outside reading, is the ride of all rides. hit me up when you get here. we go with six or seven guys who know the trails well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Downingtown

Quote Originally Posted by dtownmtb
    If you don't mind driving up to Downingtown (15-20 minutes) we have a loose group of people who ride Tuesday and Thursday nights in Downingtown - all year long. We have a Yahoo mail group (http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/dtownmtb/) for weekend rides and other announcements. Always happy to see new faces.
    Where are the trails in Downingtown? I just moved to Devon. That's pretty close.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Burgess
    Where are the trails in Downingtown? I just moved to Devon. That's pretty close.
    Well, that's kinda hard to say.

On Tuesday nights (6:00pm, Downingtown Bike Shop), we ride trails that wind around all over the place - none of it strictly legal. On Thursday (6:00pm - Duck pond at the beginning of the Struble Trail) nights, we start at the begining of the Struble Trail and go to Marsh Creek State park. Weekends are usually somewhere else like Blue Marsh, Brandywine, French Creek, Fair Hill and others.

If you want to hook up with some folks that ride out here, come on out to the race at Marsh Creek this weekend (http://www.wallacetwp.org/UpcomingEvents.aspx). It is a VERY low key race. I think they had about 30 people TOTAL racing last time and half of them were the "regulars" that I ride with.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dtownmtb
    Well, that's kinda hard to say.

On Tuesday nights (6:00pm, Downingtown Bike Shop), we ride trails that wind around all over the place - none of it strictly legal. On Thursday (6:00pm - Duck pond at the beginning of the Struble Trail) nights, we start at the begining of the Struble Trail and go to Marsh Creek State park. Weekends are usually somewhere else like Blue Marsh, Brandywine, French Creek, Fair Hill and others.

If you want to hook up with some folks that ride out here, come on out to the race at Marsh Creek this weekend (http://www.wallacetwp.org/UpcomingEvents.aspx). It is a VERY low key race. I think they had about 30 people TOTAL racing last time and half of them were the "regulars" that I ride with.
    I'm doing a nearby cx race that same day, otherwise that would be sweet. If you get rained out I'll join you 10/30.

In looking at the mtbr.com trail reviews, it seems there's some trails at the "Covered Bridge" area. Is that one of the not-strictly legal areas you hit? Also, if you're riding year round, can I assume these are night rides?

Thanks again for the info. I work in the city so I can hit Belmont or Wiss after work, but it would be nice to find some more local trails.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Burgess
    In looking at the mtbr.com trail reviews, it seems there's some trails at the "Covered Bridge" area. Is that one of the not-strictly legal areas you hit? Also, if you're riding year round, can I assume these are night rides?

Thanks again for the info. I work in the city so I can hit Belmont or Wiss after work, but it would be nice to find some more local trails.
    Your too late for the "Covered Bridge" area. That used to be the core of our Tuesday night rides. It was owned by Sonoco, but motorcycles and bikes had made lots of great trails in there. The land was purchased by East Bradford township this year. They are deciding how they want to manage the land and, until they figure it out, have decided that they don't want ANYONE on that land. For now, we are staying off of that land and working with the township to gain legal access to it. They are pretty cooperative, but governments move VERY slow. Anyhow, a mail group (http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/bvmtb) was set up just for the issues around that slice of land.

Night rides? Absolutely. Night riding makes all your familiar trails new again. It is pretty fun, but I don't recommend doing it alone.

Belmont and Wiss are definitely fun, but there is much more out our way.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

welcome to WC

Welcome to West Chester. Our area has a lot of riding within 15 minutes to an hour. Everyone else covered the basics. So, i'll offer a guided trail ride when you get into town. I ride Marsh Creek once a week, now that it's getting dark earlier, the trails should be challenging in a whole new way. They are maintined by a group of guys that ride weekly and live right next to the park. I ran into one guy hand cutting some large trees that were down last saturday.. Many Thanks Lone Ranger!!

I'm headed to Jim Thorpe this weekend. Let me know who would like to join \ lead.

Members who have read this thread: 0