NEPMTBA Moon Lake Trailcare Day 4/19/09- Mtbr.com
    Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job! NEPMTBA Moon Lake Trailcare Day 4/19/09

Hello all:

Re: Year two, trailcare event one:

Now that we have this great base of trails built it's time to spruce them up. They are still in great shape from last year due to proper design, and drainage, and a little tuning/cleaning is all that is needed. Our first workday event at Moon lake park will be 4/19/09. With 20 plus miles of new and restored trails the schedule will be meet at the Park Office at 10AM and work till 2PM with a ride afterwords. We will update work planned as time gets closer. Our NEPMTBA trail crew has been and will be at the park in the next few weeks doing pre workday set up, so anyone interested in stopping by for a bit is welcome as we are completing the 5858/Flume/NFS epic trail loop. Look for updates on this on our website shoutbox.

If anyone wants to cook out after we can all bring a goodie to have a cookout. Things needed are Hot Dogs, Buns, Chips, Drinks, Bottled Water, Mustard, Catsup... I will bring a case or two or soda, so that's taken care of.

Don't forget year two at MLP is going to be even more awesome now that we have this great trail base, and it's time to expand and have more fun events! Look for updates on or website:
    http://www.nepmtba.piczo.com
    http://ridingthemoon.blogspot.com

Thanks to all who work so hard that we may have this great place to ride/hike/enjoy! Friends, visitors, county, park, and security staffs.

PS: The RC Flyers who held an event at our mt bike weekend last year are having a water based fly in on 4/5/09 at the Lake and they have extended their kindness to any mt biker/hiker to stop by and have a bite to eat with them as well as enjoy viewing their sport. We support them and thank them for their offer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Smile On a recent ride over the weekend...

...NEPMTBA members Loren and Jake informed me they will design, build and put in place 2 bridges on the last part of the Dark trail on this upcoming trailcare day on 4/19. This will make for better flow of the area. The 2 separate bridges will span small streams and make for a better and environmentally friendly section of the Dark trail. They will need help placing and leveling as well as carrying these into place(not too far). Anyone interested in helping please email us at: [email protected] or post your response here.

Of course there will be other projects going on at the mOOn on the trailcare day on 4/19 so please stop by and join in the fun of keeping the great trails nice for all.

We would like to thank Loren & Jake for offering to take on his project and to all who support the trails.

mtbr member

Workin the Moon

Planning on joining your crew for the trail care day. Will bring HotDogs for the cookout. If anyone wants a ride over from Mtn Top ...I can take the van ....Ride On!
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job! Here's the updatews...

...we will meet at 10 AM and leave the park proper and travel via pickup down to the area of NFS trail and begin clearing to finish and open this great expert tech trail consisting of upper NFS(completed last year), flume(a bit of clearing), Lower NFS lot's of clearing and tuning, and 5858(completed this week)

The trail is marked, so all that is needed to do is. I will take care of chainsaw duties, Chuck K. will have the brushknife fired up to rid the small stuff off the new trail, others can remove stuff cut, and blowing the trail clean as well as removing rubble. Bring good gloves, hydration, and protective eye wear.

Loren & son Jake Possinger will be constructing bridges at the end of the Dark trail to improve flow and elevate the trail over a water control area. He has contacted Andy Gegaris county rec manager & Cliff Madrack Moon Lake park manager for pressure treated lumber to apply to this project.

We will work till 2 PM and then decide if we ride or eat first. Jeff Brull is bringing Hot Dogs, I'm grabbing the gas grill stove, soda, and chips, Big Daddy Todd is taking care of the beer choice from a list that Jeff Brull the Mt Top guys favor.

Anyone coming for the first time feel free to ask questions or just hang out. Our trailcare days are very social events and it's about friends getting together to improve the trails for all. We want everyone to be safe.

Looks like we have it covered and the mOOn thanks you all...

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Oops I lost my post, will have to redo it from memory. First joke about beer. Now trail things I remember need help.

Nature's way has a few wet spots. 5858 lots of little things growing on it. NFS / flume you mention already. Skinny is just terrible with mud. T-rec 1 downed tree at the start. T-rex 2 a few spots sinking. JKE is getting bridges, hopefully that will help some. 5 tree had a few spots of water that doesn't drain. Rock It! has that one downed tree that makes it much more impossibler that it needs to be. Peek-A-Boo is wet near the Rock It! end.

I'm going to be playing with maps today. Loren/Jake if you need any last minute random tools/parts for bridges I can probably make something appear.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriffer
    Oops I lost my post, will have to redo it from memory. First joke about beer. Now trail things I remember need help.

Nature's way has a few wet spots. 5858 lots of little things growing on it. NFS / flume you mention already. Skinny is just terrible with mud. T-rec 1 downed tree at the start. T-rex 2 a few spots sinking. JKE is getting bridges, hopefully that will help some. 5 tree had a few spots of water that doesn't drain. Rock It! has that one downed tree that makes it much more impossibler that it needs to be. Peek-A-Boo is wet near the Rock It! end.

I'm going to be playing with maps today. Loren/Jake if you need any last minute random tools/parts for bridges I can probably make something appear.
    Nice list:

The main concern is getting the NFS/Flume/5858 loop open, I will take care of the logs blocking stuff in the next few weeks, and the wet stuff will dry up once the sun hits it for a few weeks when the water table will drops. The skinnys trail us a natural spring and even that dries up as you remember last year.

See ya there!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I slept in because I am sick. When I showed up I didn't see anyone around. Not that I would have been a lot of good with how little energy I have. I spent my time working on the maps. Upgraded versions are up at the normal spot. I focused on the printable black and white map for the moment. There's also a special 5858 photo tour that I am seeing if I can make useful. It's not quite there yet.

I think I forgot one downed tree on edge of the ledge near the skinny trail side of it. There's an optional line over the builder that is covered with a tree if I remember right. I'm sure there will be some other day for all the little jobs.

mtbr member

Great Day...

Really good to be out with the Moon Trail Crew today....I am amazed at the work that has been done in less than a year at the moon. The new section of the downhill trail really makes for a sweet option to circumvent the entire park. Also the section of the downhill trail that was put in late last fall is really starting to burn in....it only gets better....even better today after Mike and Brian got done with it. Thanks again for letting me be part of it today. Ride on!
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

Members who have read this thread: 0